U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Northeast: Philly
Southeast: Atlanta
Gulf Coast: Houston/Mobile
Great Lakes: Detroit
Great Plains: Oklahoma City
Southwest: Albuquerque
West Coast: LA
I like Mobile but I'd put New Orleans before it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:36 PM

I'm gonna break it down a little bit more since some of these overlap like Great Lakes, Great Plains, Appalachian etc.

-Northeast-

New England: Boston
Mid-Atlantic: Philadelphia
Appalachian North: Pittsburgh
Northeastern Great Lakes: Buffalo

-Midwest-

Midwestern Great Lakes: Chicago
Lower Midwest: Indianapolis
Upper Midwest: Minneapolis
Northern Great Plains: Wichita

-South-

Piedmont: Atlanta
Upper South: Nashville
Appalachian South: Asheville
Deep South: Memphis
Gulf Coast: Houston
Southern Great Plains: Oklahoma City

-West-

Mountain West: Denver
Pacific Southwest: Los Angeles
Pacific Northwest: Seattle

Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
I don't think Atlanta is prototypical of the south at all. I think Columbia, or Augusta, or Greensboro, something like that are better choices. Atlanta is pretty unique.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm gonna break it down a little bit more since some of these overlap like Great Lakes, Great Plains, Appalachian etc.

-Northeast-

New England: Boston
Mid-Atlantic: Philadelphia
Appalachian North: Pittsburgh
Northeastern Great Lakes: Buffalo

-Midwest-

Midwestern Great Lakes: Chicago
Lower Midwest: Indianapolis
Upper Midwest: Minneapolis
Northern Great Plains: Wichita

-South-

Piedmont: Atlanta
Upper South: Nashville
Appalachian South: Asheville
Deep South: Memphis
Gulf Coast: Houston
Southern Great Plains: Oklahoma City

-West-

Mountain West: Denver
Pacific Southwest: Los Angeles
Pacific Northwest: Seattle
Asheville is more of an anomaly; I don't think it's prototypical of the Appalachian South at all. I'd probably say cities like Roanoke or Bristol would be more fitting.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM

13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
The American South: Atlanta

Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
Everyone keeps saying Atlanta...but how?? For one thing, Atlanta is much more diverse than most of the south, it's loaded with Fortune 500's, has multiple CBDs, and there's a high concentration of millionaires and upper class. Everytime I go to Lenox Mall there's a string of Lambos parked outside. NYC is the only other place I've personally seen one. Plus no other southern cities get the exposure Atlanta gets: the tv show Atlanta, RHOA, all the mainstream rap coming out of Atlanta, CNN, Weather Channel, Turner, all the "made in Georgia", Tyler Perry, TWD, and Atlanta skyline constantly popping up in movies. That's not "prototypical."

And Atlanta is the only place in the south (except Miami) where you're gonna see a 400 foot condo tower next to low density residential homes. Try proposing this anywhere else in the south. There will be riots in the streets:

How is Atlanta "typical?" It's a very unique city, especially for the south. There's nothing else in the south like it. It's the undisputed hub of the south, but Atlanta is still it's own world. Like I said on the last page, I feel cities like Columbia, Greensboro, Augusta, Greenville, etc are more representative of most southern living.

But I guess we're all entitled to our opinions. I just dont see how Atlanta fits, personally. Unless I'm using "prototypical" wrong.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Asheville is more of an anomaly; I don't think it's prototypical of the Appalachian South at all. I'd probably say cities like Roanoke or Bristol would be more fitting.

I was actually gonna put Knoxville at first but I didn't wanna put too many Tennessee cities.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:39 AM

6,839 posts, read 6,181,041 times
Quote:
Great Plains: not a clue
This is an interesting one if we are talking about the actual "great plains". People are submitting places like Omaha........which isn't really on the great plains. More a midwestern river city. Lincoln is on the edge.

OKC is really just on the edge of the great plains and part of it actually isn't.

Wichita probably is in it's entirety but it isn't too far removed from the Flint Hills so it's kind of on the edge.

DFW is on the edge.

Heck, Denver and all the other front range cities are on the edge for that matter.

If you really want a city that is dead smack in the great plains you've got Lubbock, Amarillo, nothing of any size in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, either of the Dakotas. Nothing in New Mexico, nothing in Colorado. Maybe Cheyenne in Wyoming because it's a capitol but it is kind of an edge city. Billings, MT would be the other one.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 AM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The American South: Atlanta
To broad. The American South covers everything from Virginia to Florida west to Texas.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:43 AM

308 posts, read 186,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Plus no other southern cities get the exposure Atlanta gets: the tv show Atlanta, RHOA, all the mainstream rap coming out of Atlanta, CNN, Weather Channel, Turner, all the "made in Georgia", Tyler Perry, TWD, and Atlanta skyline constantly popping up in movies. That's not "prototypical."

Do you honestly believe this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or