U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 PM

116 posts, read 279,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Wow you read my mind. I don't think Atlanta is typical because they don't have enough fried chicken per capita...

Typical southern living to me - a southerner - is having a city with a post-WWII feel, small to midsize core, a good bit of amenities but not an insane amount - like a local baseball team, a regional mall, a few retail corridors, some outdoor festivals, city museums, some colleges in town, a regional airport, etc. Plus low density single family home living dominates - not many condos or office towers, and not extremely diverse.
To be honest with you after being a part of this message board for 7 years this is the first time someone has really answered that question without common stereotypes and I agree those are good characteristics/prototypes of a mid size southern city. With that said I think you do have to add in lots of chicken and churches per capita .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,895,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
With that said I think you do have to add in lots of chicken and churches per capita .
Okay, add Church's Chicken to my list.

Church's Chicken : Home

Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There really is no "typical" southern city.
Birmingham ... ?

Most legacy Southern cities have these 5 things in common:

1. Black and poor urban core surrounded by wealthy white suburbs
2. Sketchy racial history
3. Conservative socially and politically
4. Southern Baptist churches on every corner
5. Football (both high school and college) is king

Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,796,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
What is "quintessential Gulf Coast? New Orleans? Hardly. N.O. is truly unique.
Actually it kinda is. New Orleans influenced the gulf coast from Galveston/Houston to the Florida panhandle. When I think of gulf coast I think of seafood, crawfish boils, Mardi Gras, dirty beaches, higher Catholic population, French, African, and Spanish influence over Scottish, Irish, and English. New Orleans embodies all of that. Now If a person said Houston or Mobile, I would still agree as I see being New Orleans as being much more unique but it depends on that persons opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Houston doesn't seem to be as recognized at a Gulf Coast city as some of the other.
It's definitely acknowledged as a Gulf Coast city.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:35 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,796,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Wow you read my mind. I don't think Atlanta is typical because they don't have enough fried chicken per capita...

Typical southern living to me - a southerner - is having a city with a post-WWII feel, small to midsize core, a good bit of amenities but not an insane amount - like a local baseball team, a regional mall, a few retail corridors, some outdoor festivals, city museums, some colleges in town, a regional airport, etc. Plus low density single family home living dominates - not many condos or office towers, and not extremely diverse.

As I said like 2 pages ago, tell me another southeastern city outside of Atlanta and Miami where you'll find a 400 foot condos tower next to McMansions, and people are okay with?

That sounds like typical living in general, especially Midwest.

Houston is known for high rises next to single family homes. No zoning laws.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:11 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,895,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston is known for high rises next to single family homes. No zoning laws.
I know, but I was focusing on the southeast.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM

3,813 posts, read 6,540,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Is Tampa more like Houston and New Orleans or Orlando and Miami?
Definitely Miami and Orlando but it's still a Gulf Coast city. It just doesn't have the culture that is shared between the Gulf region of Houston to Pensacola.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 AM

29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Definitely Miami and Orlando but it's still a Gulf Coast city. It just doesn't have the culture that is shared between the Gulf region of Houston to Pensacola.
And that's why Tampa isn't mentioned as much among other Gulf Coast cities; it's that whole geography vs. culture thing. Same thing goes for Corpus Christi.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 605,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Is Tampa more like Houston and New Orleans or Orlando and Miami?
Tampa has elements of Orlando, Houston...and then New Orleans. But there are too many things that make it atypical of the Gulf South and it doesn't share a lot culturally with New Orleans at all. I'd say that besides Orlando (just from them being in "Florida!" and all that comes with that), it shares the most similarities with Houston due to the sprawl, similar vegetation, the checkerboard layout of the older neighborhoods, Latino population, large port cities with heavy industry (O&G in Houston; Phosphates in Tampa Bay area), large transplant populations, and it really built up in the same era that Houston did with the advent of central AC.

HOWEVER, Tampa has a far larger Caribbean Latino population, far more transplants from the Northeast and Midwest, and feels a lot more "yankeefied" and whitebread than Houston, and while it sprawls a lot, it feels less sprawling than Houston, has a more antiquated freeway system, and people tend to stick to their side of the Bay or their part of town more than people in Houston do. Houston has a much more southern feel to it and has a strong Texan identity. Tampa has a stronger Florida identity, and although it has a lot more of a tourism industry than Houston. Also, the beaches are far nicer in Tampa Bay than just about anywhere in Texas.

Mobile and Pensacola would probably be better general representations of the Gulf South. Houston and New Orleans may be quintessential Gulf South cities, but they both have elements that make them stand out from the rest of the region. New Orleans is too unique and distinctive, but it has elements that influence a large swath of the Gulf South... Houston is faster-paced, far more cosmopolitan (New Orleans has a unique ethnic mix that started centuries ago, but it doesn't have the recent immigration population that Houston does).

tl; dr: There are a lot of similarities, but lots of nuances that make them very different from each other.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 06-14-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 AM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Tampa's problem is location. Like Corpus Christi, Tampa probably isn't look at as a Gulf Coast city due to it being far away from the other Gulf Coastal cities and you didn't have people move around and/or easily visit from city to city like you have between the Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the Upper Texas Gulf Coast. Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Houston are pretty much a skip and a hop from each other no more than 90-100 miles between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or