U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 602,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Tampa's problem is location. Like Corpus Christi, Tampa probably isn't look at as a Gulf Coast city due to it being far away from the other Gulf Coastal cities and you didn't have people move around and/or easily visit from city to city like you have between the Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the Upper Texas Gulf Coast. Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Houston are pretty much a skip and a hop from each other no more than 90-100 miles between them.
Good answer...I was taking too long to make my point, that I forgot to even discuss this factor, LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:26 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What would you consider the prototypical Northeastern, Southeastern, Gulf Coast, Great Lakes, Great Plains, Southwestern, and West Coast cities?

Northeast: NYC (a good argument could also be made for Philly)

Southeast: I'm leaning towards Atlanta, here

Gulf Coast: I've only been to New Orleans, Houston (I think it counts) and Corpus Christi. I suspect that none are good choices

Great Lakes: I'm thinking Cleveland, though I've never visited Detroit.

Great Plains: not a clue

Southwest: very limited experience here. I recuse myself.

West Coast: LA
Northeast: New York

Southeast: Charleston, South Carolina

Gulf Coast: Mobile, Alabama (directly on the coast); Jackson, Mississippi if you include all the Gulf states

Great Lakes: Toledo or Cleveland

Great Plains: Omaha

Southwest: Phoenix or Las Vegas

West Coast: Los Angeles

Northwest: Seattle

Texas: Fort Worth

Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm gonna break it down a little bit more since some of these overlap like Great Lakes, Great Plains, Appalachian etc.

-Northeast-

New England: Boston
Mid-Atlantic: Philadelphia
Appalachian North: Pittsburgh
Northeastern Great Lakes: Buffalo

-Midwest-

Midwestern Great Lakes: Chicago
Lower Midwest: Indianapolis
Upper Midwest: Minneapolis
Northern Great Plains: Wichita

-South-

Piedmont: Atlanta
Upper South: Nashville
Appalachian South: Asheville
Deep South: Memphis
Gulf Coast: Houston
Southern Great Plains: Oklahoma City

-West-

Southwest: Albuquerque
Mountain West: Denver
Pacific Southwest: Los Angeles
Pacific Northwest: Seattle
I think for the Appalachian South, Charleston WV, Johnson City, and Chattanooga would be better candidates than Asheville which is a touristy and hippy town that's culturally very different from most of the South and from most of Appalachia.

Boston is NOT typical of New England. In fact its the only metro area of any significance in all of New England. But for some reason the South has a rural reputation despite most Southerners living in rural areas while its large swaths of New England and the Upper Midwest that are rural.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 PM

706 posts, read 513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Northeast: New York

Southeast: Charleston, South Carolina

Gulf Coast: Mobile, Alabama (directly on the coast); Jackson, Mississippi if you include all the Gulf states

Great Lakes: Toledo or Cleveland

Great Plains: Omaha

Southwest: Phoenix or Las Vegas

West Coast: Los Angeles

Northwest: Seattle

Texas: Fort Worth
Las Vegas and Phoenix are exceptional, not prototypical.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
How is Atlanta "typical?" It's a very unique city, especially for the south. There's nothing else in the south like it. It's the undisputed hub of the south, but Atlanta is still it's own world. Like I said on the last page, I feel cities like Columbia, Greensboro, Augusta, Greenville, etc are more representative of most southern living.

But I guess we're all entitled to our opinions. I just dont see how Atlanta fits, personally. Unless I'm using "prototypical" wrong.
Well if we're getting technical, Birmingham isn't a "typical" Southeastern city either, sharing more similarities with cities outside of the South, rather than it's Southern Peers. Birmingham was one of the first, if not the first city within the Southeast to have Mid-Rises/High-Rises outside of it's Downtown Area.

Sheraton Apartments - Bhamwiki
Park Tower - Bhamwiki
Highland Plaza Condominiums - Bhamwiki

Not to mention the only city within the Southeast with Rowhouses, dense SFH's, Triple Deckers, and other representations of housing with diverse architecture. No other city within the Southeast fits Birmingham's mold, not even Atlanta.

Now, when I said Atlanta was the typical city of the Southeast, I was mostly spearing towards the growth and future expectations of the typical Southeastern city, and combining that with physical characteristics such as the Weather, Sprawl, Flora/Fauna or Topography. Those like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville, Huntsville, Nashville, Greensboro, and etc. Which in this case, when I think of all these aspects, as an outsider, one has to believe that Atlanta would be the typical Southeastern city that developed the mold.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Well if we're getting technical, Birmingham isn't a "typical" Southeastern city either, sharing more similarities with cities outside of the South, rather than it's Southern Peers. Birmingham was one of the first, if not the first city within the Southeast to have Mid-Rises/High-Rises outside of it's Downtown Area.

Sheraton Apartments - Bhamwiki
Park Tower - Bhamwiki
Highland Plaza Condominiums - Bhamwiki

Not to mention the only city within the Southeast with Rowhouses, dense SFH's, Triple Deckers, and other representations of housing with diverse architecture. No other city within the Southeast fits Birmingham's mold, not even Atlanta.

Now, when I said Atlanta was the typical city of the Southeast, I was mostly spearing towards the growth and future expectations of the typical Southeastern city, and combining that with physical characteristics such as the Weather, Sprawl, Flora/Fauna or Topography. Those like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville, Huntsville, Nashville, Greensboro, and etc. Which in this case, when I think of all these aspects, as an outsider, one has to believe that Atlanta would be the typical Southeastern city that developed the mold.
I didn't call Birmingham typical. You make a good point, but I still don't think Atlanta is typical either.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Definitely Miami and Orlando but it's still a Gulf Coast city. It just doesn't have the culture that is shared between the Gulf region of Houston to Pensacola.
Outside of the Caribbean Latino influence, Tampa is probably more like Orlando/Houston than it is Miami.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post

WHAT THE HELL?! Atlanta has had "midrises and high rises" outside of its downtown core since the early 1900s, and the Savannah downtown and Victorian historic districts (everything between the river and Victory Drive) is NOTHING but rowhouses, 4-story brownstones, mid-rise apartment buildings and VERY DENSE single family homes built right on the street with service lanes (alleys) in the back.

In fact, Savannah is generally considered to have among the most diverse architecture of any city in the country, as well as one of the most brilliant city plans in the world.

http://scaddistrict.com/2016/05/15/r...ral-landscape/

http://m.georgiaencyclopedia.org/art...nnah-city-plan

Nice try though ....

And you've obviously never been to Charleston or New Orleans either!

Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
WHAT THE HELL?! Atlanta has had "midrises and high rises" outside of its downtown core since the early 1900s, and the Savannah downtown and Victorian historic districts (everything between the river and Victory Drive) is NOTHING but rowhouses, 4-story brownstones, mid-rise apartment buildings and VERY DENSE single family homes built right on the street with service lanes (alleys) in the back.

In fact, Savannah is generally considered to have among the most diverse architecture of any city in the country, as well as one of the most brilliant city plans in the world.

Richard Longstreth explains Savannah’s architectural landscape – District

Savannah City Plan | New Georgia Encyclopedia

Nice try though ....

And you've obviously never been to Charleston or New Orleans either!
I'm glad you tackled it.

This dude has a propensity to depict Birmingham as a mini-Philadelphia or Chicago almost every chance he gets.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:45 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think for the Appalachian South, Charleston WV, Johnson City, and Chattanooga would be better candidates than Asheville which is a touristy and hippy town that's culturally very different from most of the South and from most of Appalachia.

Boston is NOT typical of New England. In fact its the only metro area of any significance in all of New England. But for some reason the South has a rural reputation despite most Southerners living in rural areas while its large swaths of New England and the Upper Midwest that are rural.
Remember Portland and Savannah are about the same size. Providence and Memphis are of similar size Manchester and Greensboro, Burlington and Chattanooga, Hartford and New Orleans, Springfield and Tallahassee. New England has a bunch of cities.
3 are 1 million+ 5 more 500,000+.

Providence would be the largest metro in LA, AR, MS, AL, and KY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or