U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 632,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Not even close.

Pardon me. The largest Vietnamese population on the East Coast. W. a larger population than NYC.

Yes CA. has the largest in the USA. Rightfully noted/corrected.

With that my point holds true. Philadelphia has one of the best Chinatowns in the USA

Tops def. go to both L.A and S.F. I have not been to Seattle but my guess is there's is quite renowned given their West Coast presence.

Then Chicago. NYC.

and well Philadelphia for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:41 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,977,597 times
Have you also considered Honolulu? Yes, it's expensive but not as extreme as SF or LA. It's also more walkable than Portland.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM

6,483 posts, read 7,178,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Have you been to Chinatown in Philadelphia?

It is by far one of the most vibrant and in tact chinatowns in the nation. SOOO many amazing food options and such an amazing Chinese culture, as well as some Japanese influences. It is FAR better than D.C chinatown and I will rate it #2 on the East Coast after NYC.
I have been and I do like it. As an authentic neighborhood it is obviously much better than DC but DC is a unique case. DC Chinatown is a cool neighborhood, for what it is. I believe there's only one business left that existed back when it was an actual Chinese neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Have you also considered Honolulu? Yes, it's expensive but not as extreme as SF or LA. It's also more walkable than Portland.
Yes!! I don't know HNL at all (besides very vague memories from a short visit as a very young kid) but I have assumed it will be a quality option once I eventually get around to spending some time there. I'm in no hurry so I figure when the rail system is operating in a decade it'll be ready for me and my family lol.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:17 PM

5,283 posts, read 3,231,311 times
ttt.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:16 PM

510 posts, read 186,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps look into college towns with a high Asian percentage. For instance, Ithaca NY is about 17% Asian and it has a walkable Downtown/Commons that has quite a bit going on for its size.
Except that Ithaca has generally terrible Asian food.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:06 AM

5,842 posts, read 3,121,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
For Asian Food:
Most places do a decent job with Vietnamese and Thai (or perhaps I just don't know since I've never had the authentic stuff).

Japanese?
DC - terrible
Phoenix/Flagstaff - terrible
Denver/Boulder - terrible
LA - Excellent
Seattle - Excellent
Las Vegas - terrible
Dallas - a few "okay" places
Tampa Bay - found a couple of "okay" places

Chinese - don't really eat it very often / I'm fine with P.F. Chang so I don't know for this category
Your rating of Denver is wrong. There is a well-known Japanese restaurant that’s very good, though not my cup of tea (pun—you would have to go there to know why). Denver also used to have a good fast-casual Japanese food place but I don’t know if it still operates.

Denver (the city, not the metro area) has fantastic Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants on a section of Federal Blvd near Alameda. Don’t even think they are like PF Chang, and thank the heavens for that. However, that area is not great for walking, doable but not pleasant due to traffic.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:22 PM

75 posts, read 13,112 times
I think St Paul is the answer. It is almost 20% Asian. It is affordable. It is relatively walkable, and the greatest concentration of Asian restaurants is along Green Line light rail route so they are easily accessible by transit. People tend to associate it with the Hmong but it also has significant Vietnamese, Lao and Cambodian populations. In general it has lots of really good, cheap southeast Asian restaurants.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 PM

6,483 posts, read 7,178,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yes!! I don't know HNL at all (besides very vague memories from a short visit as a very young kid) but I have assumed it will be a quality option once I eventually get around to spending some time there. I'm in no hurry so I figure when the rail system is operating in a decade it'll be ready for me and my family lol.
Update on this: HNL's rail system looks like it will be delayed by many years. My wife's cousin spent several weeks there and has convinced me that this is a top choice. She also talked to me about Guam, which is another intriguing option for this thread. Although for me personally it is simply too small. Same with the CNMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I think St Paul is the answer. It is almost 20% Asian. It is affordable. It is relatively walkable, and the greatest concentration of Asian restaurants is along Green Line light rail route so they are easily accessible by transit. People tend to associate it with the Hmong but it also has significant Vietnamese, Lao and Cambodian populations. In general it has lots of really good, cheap southeast Asian restaurants.
Hey I like it! We went to one of the Hmong markets when we were in St Paul and it was very memorable. I definitely like this one as an option.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:47 PM

283 posts, read 299,956 times
Midtown Houston is walkable, urban, and has great Vietnamese food....may not be best in the nation but it's nothing to crap on for sure.....

Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 AM

58,161 posts, read 82,839,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Except that Ithaca has generally terrible Asian food.
According to what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or