U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 1,601 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in finding a place that is perfect for me for a while. I'm not looking to move any time soon, but I would like to know.
I have a pretty specific (but not too long) list of things I would want, so hear it goes.

Weather:
Cool (high 60s to mid 70s) during winter (I HATE the heat), cold (below freezing often) and snowy during winter. (not TOO snowy, like maybe 35-80 inches would be good) I like all kinds of precipitation, rain, snow, etc. (sleet isn't my favorite, though).

Size:
Population doesn't really matter much to me.

Places:
I would like to live in a place that has the following stores/restaraunts
Chipotle
Starbucks
Local Cafe
Bass Pro Shop (within like 100 miles or so of the place I live)
Just good food options

Politics:
I'd like to live in a place that leans democratic, but I wouldn't mind living in a swing state where your vote always matters.

Extra:
If it isn't a somewhat large city, I would like be 1-2 hours from a place with a population>150,000.
Mountains viewable from the city, cool wilderness, and recreational opportunities are important. I would also like to live in a place with a happening and lively downtown.

Now there probably isn't a place that meets all these criteria, but I'd like to know if there's a place that comes pretty close. THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:24 PM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times
Where Should I Live Quiz - Random Quizzes | QuizRocket

there are several web site quiz things that might point you in the right direction. Keep in mind no place is perfect so you might want to think about your priorities.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 PM

15,783 posts, read 9,528,218 times
Closed pending move to more appropriate forum.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
Duluth MN.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslansh13 View Post
Weather:
Cool (high 60s to mid 70s) during winter (I HATE the heat), cold (below freezing often) and snowy during winter. (not TOO snowy, like maybe 35-80 inches would be good) I like all kinds of precipitation, rain, snow, etc. (sleet isn't my favorite, though).

Size:
Population doesn't really matter much to me.

Places:
I would like to live in a place that has the following stores/restaraunts
Chipotle
Starbucks
Local Cafe
Bass Pro Shop (within like 100 miles or so of the place I live)
Just good food options

Politics:
I'd like to live in a place that leans democratic, but I wouldn't mind living in a swing state where your vote always matters.

Extra:
If it isn't a somewhat large city, I would like be 1-2 hours from a place with a population>150,000.
Mountains viewable from the city, cool wilderness, and recreational opportunities are important. I would also like to live in a place with a happening and lively downtown.
Check out Burlington VT which offers everything on your list except for a Bass Pro Shop, but does have both an REI and an Eastern Mountain Sports in town.

Burlington Vermont | Vermont.org

Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,769,707 times
If you can give up the mountains, pretty much any place in the Upper Midwest.
If you can give up the moderate politics, pretty much any place in Northern New England.

Some cities I'd throw out there that haven't been mentioned yet: Grand Rapids MI, Manchester NH, Portland ME, Madison WI, Ann Arbor MI, State College PA.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 AM

56,587 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Look into the Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY area. It is a top 60 metro in population, is close to mountains, it has all except for Bass Pro(one an hour and half away in Utica), its average annual snowfall is around 64 inches and you actually have multiple Downtowns/neighborhoods with walkability and nightlife in the area(Saratoga Springs, Albany's Center Square neighborhood, Downtown Troy, Jay Street area of Downtown Schenectady, etc.).

Utica itself could work in terms of having all of the stores(Chipotle and Starbucks are in suburban New Hartford; Bass Pro is in the Riverside Plaza in North Utica) and close proximity to proximity to mountains(Old Forge, an Adirondack Mountain resort town is in its metro area and is less than an hour away). It does have the Varick Street/Brewery District in its Downtown. It is more moderate politically. It has about 60,000 in the city and a little under 300,000 in the metro. It is known for its Italian population/food and due to being a refugee resettlement center, it is a diverse city with a good range of food options. Snowfall averages may be an issue though.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Denver if you can experience 80's/90s in the summer and live to tell about it.

Colorado Springs (particularly central and west) if you can deal with being in a red county.

Boulder fits perfectly (still gets 80's in summer: most everywhere will), but most people can't afford it.

Fort Collins too (again, 80's/90's in summer).

Anywhere along I-5 in WA/OR would work too given you could live without the snow.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
HI OP:

The Binghamton NY area has all you seek weather wise. Though this last winter we just got blasted with LOTs of snow, but the winter before was so mild I think we got only 15" of snow all winter.

We have a population in the Greater Binghamton Area of 160K. That includes Binghamton, Vestal, Johnson City, Endicott/Endwell, Kirkwood and Conklin.

We are 76 miles S of Syracuse, and an hour and a half N of Scranton area, PA. We are 3-3.5 hour bus ride to Manhattan, if you desire to go into the City. We are 4-5 hours form Buffalo, though it can be done in less via the NY Thruway. We have 3 major interstates, I88, I81 and Rt17/future I 86.

If you want to know more, check it out online.

We have a very stable economy, largely minimum wage based {NY is currently $9.70/hr} so anywhere form $9.70-$15 is typical, depending on your field and skills. We Have 3 hospital systems that employ quite a few people. LPNs are typically $14-18.00/hr, RNs Higher. Even environmental services in the hospitals are $12-14/hr. Food and Retail are also stable employers.

We have a ton of restaurants, both chains and local. We have a Chipotle, several Starbucks, local cafes, DD, etc on whats known as the Vestal Parkway. The Oakdale Mall is across the river.

COL is stable, low-medium.

Housing is affordable, we bought our 2 br/1ba ranch on fenced city lot, new roof, driveway, electrical, replaced windows, etc for $68k after 3 months on the market, FMV. YOu can spend up to $150k for a very nice 3-4 br house on double lots. I think the average price is around $80k.

I can go to farms within 10-15 miles of my house and pick straw, blue, black and red berries, pick apples, pears, etc. Or get Farm fresh milk and cheeses. Or I can buy them fresh picked. I have fruit trees and berry bushes in my own garden.

We have a fair amount of theater, including Off Broadway shows. We have the Philharmonic, The Anderson Center for Performing Arts at the University.

We have a 2 year college being grown into a 4 year college, and Binghamton University, with a variety of studies, curricula and degrees.

Check out GoBroomeCounty.com for instance, google Binghamton, Vestal or go to Wikipedia.

Check us out!

Old 06-05-2017, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 1,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Denver if you can experience 80's/90s in the summer and live to tell about it.

Colorado Springs (particularly central and west) if you can deal with being in a red county.

Boulder fits perfectly (still gets 80's in summer: most everywhere will), but most people can't afford it.

Fort Collins too (again, 80's/90's in summer).

Anywhere along I-5 in WA/OR would work too given you could live without the snow.
I live in a place where summer temps are consistently high 90s-low 100s, so 80s and 90s aren't too bad. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.