U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:01 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,818,793 times

Advertisements

San Jose but with a real urban downtown core not to mess with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 04:54 PM

6,802 posts, read 11,793,201 times
Oakland County in Michigan (if you disregard the discrepancy in weather)..

Similar sprawl

Similar political leanings (maybe a bit more moderate than OC)

Similar affluency

They even nicknamed it the "OC of Michigan" or the "OC of Detroit) a few years ago.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:38 AM

101 posts, read 87,232 times
Orange County is a huge county with many different cities. I still don't understand why we alwyas lump the whole area and call it "Orange County." A frined just vistied from Texas and texted me saying she's staying at the Hyatt in OC. What?
Where in OC? It's like saying I'm staying at the Hyatt in Dallas county. Everyone says I live in OC. What does that mean exactly? Living in Fountain Valley is not the same as Laguna Beach. Anyhow...Irvine, for example, reminds me a lot like The Woodlands in Texas. That's about an hour north of Houston. Irvine doesn't have the lush, green trees like The Woodlands, but it's developed the same way (villages, sterile, etc). Dallas? I lived in Dallas for over 25 years and nothing in South County (Laguna Beach/Laguna Niguel/Aliso Viejo/Mission Viejo/Ladera Ranch/Dana Point/Laguna Hills/RSM/Irvine/Tustin) looks like DFW. Sprawling? Dallas is, yes. But not south Orange County. Houses are on top of each other. Topography? DFW completely flat. So many rolling hills in south county close to the beach. The weather? DFW and Houston are both HOT and HUMID. Miserable! Can't even compare the tophography and weather. It's heaven here when you compare it to Houston and DFW.Dallas itself is very cosmpolitan with a very robust downtown and tons of culture (opera house, museums, etc.). Yeah, not so much in South County. I do LOVE it in Laguna! Paradise. (someone above considered Laguna Niguel inland. ???? We live three minutes (by car) from the beach and are in south Laguna Niguel. LN looks nothing like Vegas or Phoenix--nor does the climate. I'm wearing a sweater at the end of June and my house is 67 degrees with no AC right now! Certain that's not the case in Vegas or Phoenix

Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,994 posts, read 3,474,581 times
I hate to say it, but in the Eastern US, Fairfax County, VA may come the closest.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:00 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose but with a real urban downtown core not to mess with
A lot of Orange County reminds me of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 PM

7,828 posts, read 12,348,810 times
Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, Florida and parts of the Tampa Bay area.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:54 PM

3,314 posts, read 1,506,567 times
The Raleigh, NC suburb areas.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 AM

176 posts, read 191,770 times
The wealthier suburbs of Atlanta and DC.

Atlanta: Cobb, North Fulton, parts of Gwinnett
DC: Fairfax, Loudoun, Montgomery

Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 AM

1,572 posts, read 753,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZetro View Post
The wealthier suburbs of Atlanta and DC.

Atlanta: Cobb, North Fulton, parts of Gwinnett
DC: Fairfax, Loudoun, Montgomery
I was raised in Orange County in the '80s and '90s and now live in Cobb County. There is some similarity in that both are busy, increasingly diverse, affluent suburban areas with some less prosperous sections. Both areas were traditionally Republican strongholds but have moderated substantially in recent years.

However, Cobb and its neighbors in north metro Atlanta are considerably less expensive and densely populated than Orange County. Much of northern and central Orange County is like a concrete jungle with virtually no green space, which is thankfully not the case here. There is a different ethnic balance but people are very similar in terms of the value they place on family, career and financial advancement, and education. Many north metro Atlanta residents (who very frequently, are originally from elsewhere) would experience far more culture shock in parts of Georgia less than an hour away than they would in Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or