U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 841,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Most MSA's use cities in the name.

Long Beach isn't a suburb of Los Angeles.

San Jose isn't a suburb of San Francisco.

Wilmington isn't a suburb of Philadelphia.

Bellevue isn't a suburb of Seattle.

Cambridge is even closer. It seamlessly functions with Boston.
And a lot of suburbs are cities. That doesn't mean anything. A good example was posted above my early reply to you. Also look at Atlanta with Sandy Springs, Chicago with Naperville, Dallas with Arlington, Phoenix with Mesa, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 PM

3,504 posts, read 1,704,338 times
Quote:
There is a duality on this forum with these cities functioning as cities or suburbs. Cambridge and San Jose are often seen as functioning as a larger cohesive metro area, with the suburbs pretty clearly defined.

Cambridge to me functions as a city, while Scarsdale or Greenwich would be suburbs. They are clearly very different.
Explain further please. A suburb can officially be a city, town, township or
Unincorporated community. Cambridge politically isn't all that different from a suburb. I pretty sure they elect a mayor like many if not most suburbs around them.
Take in mind Tokyo, Japan. The average suburb in the Tokyo area ranges in density from 20,000-30,000
People per square mile(some suburbs have huge amounts of mountainous landscape or
are on the fringe of Tokyo and have farms thus lowering this pretty uniform number. Yet, Yokohama as well as many other cities with densities lower than that like Saitama aren't considered suburbs.

Why? But what defines a city, isn't something like Density, but the massive job centers,
were thousands of jobs are located in one area. Often in a dense city, the core is less dense than many of
the surrounding neighborhoods and even suburbs because the core saves up the majority of its open space
for businesses.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 PM

11,438 posts, read 6,412,321 times
Cambridge has lots of shopping plazas for families, such as those around Harvard Square. Lots of parks for children to play in. And when it comes to good schools...well Cambridge and Somerville have a couple of places such as MIT, Harvard, and Tuft's. Maybe you've heard of them. When it comes to suburbs, it's hard to beat Cambridge or Somerville

Old 06-13-2017, 11:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 878,667 times
I don't like sprawling suburbs, where you could be in any city and not really know it. I tend to like suburban cities that are walkable. My favorites-

Houston: Galveston and W. University Place
Austin: Haven't liked any of the ones I've been to.
Detroit: Royal Oak and Ann Arbor
Los Angeles: A lot of great suburbs; Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, West Hollywood, Newport Beach
Minneapolis: St. Paul and Excelsior are my favorites. The part of Edina right adjacent to Minneaplois is nice too.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:13 AM

115 posts, read 57,272 times
For the second time, none of your posts matter, because it's not what the OP wants.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:10 AM

87,015 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Except it's a city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge,_Massachusetts

If it's a suburb, why is the MSA named after it?

Boston-Cambridge-Quincy MSA.

It also does not remotely function as a suburb either.
In many states, areas outside of cities are incorporated as cities, towns, villages, etc. I'd say the name is because Cambridge is an important city in its own right, as well as a suburb of Boston. Sort of like Denver/Aurora/Lakewood in Colorado. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Some of the other places named on here so far are also legally "cities".

Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,975,743 times
Quote:
Most MSA's use cities in the name.

Long Beach isn't a suburb of Los Angeles.

San Jose isn't a suburb of San Francisco.

Wilmington isn't a suburb of Philadelphia.

Bellevue isn't a suburb of Seattle.

Cambridge is even closer. It seamlessly functions with Boston.
This. San Jose, Wilmington and Bellevue are satellite cities, while Long Beach and Cambridge are distinct cities that are seamlessly part of the urban fabric.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:14 PM

There's no hope.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 PM

115 posts, read 57,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There's no hope.
Looks like you need to read the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
I'm talking about sprawling communities with spacious, family oriented homes and amenities for family living like shopping plazas and good schools. There are a lot of places that are technically suburbs because they're not part of the city, but they're still very urban, like Burbank, CA or Richmond Hill, ON.

In my opinion, from my own experience the best suburbs in Canada are North and West Vancouver, BC and the best suburbs in the United States are southern Orange County, CA (south of Irvine, not including the "city" of San Juan Capistrano and the areas right along the coast which are too built up) and the LaMorInda (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda) area in the Bay Area.

Of course there is probably other really nice places back east, but those places especially North Vancouver and Lafayette are the best sort of places for humans to inhabit. I don't like the whole anti-city/anti-gated community/"walkability" trend.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Its funny becsuse a lot of these cities that you dont want to call suburbs, like Bellevue or Burbank, weren't always that built up. In the future, some of these other areas will become more built up and newer areas further out will become developed. Are those older areas now not suburbs? When I lived in Pasadena, CA, we called it the suburbs because everyone still went to LA. Now Pasadena has gotten more built up and became a satellite city but its still a suburb...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or