U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:04 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,455,682 times

Advertisements

I agree with the earlier post about Mountain Brook, Alabama. One of the loveliest suburbs I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:18 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Irvine, CA
The Woodlands, TX
Peachtree Ciy, GA
Overland Park/Johnson County, KS
Plano, TX

Probably the best suburban areas in the country. You'd have a difficult time finding better areas than these.
Good choices all.

I'd also add the following:

Brentwood/Franklin/Williamson County, TN
Carmel, IN
Palo Alto/Menlo Park, CA
Calabasas/Thousand Oaks, CA
Carlsbad/Encinitas/San Elijo Hills, CA (I didn't love living there, but I definitely see the appeal)
Scottsdale, AZ
The Village of Indian Hill, OH
Upper Arlington, OH
Oakland County, MI
Edina, MN
Hoover/Vestavia Hills/Mountain Brook, AL
Boca Raton, FL
Schaumburg, IL

Frankly, it's hard, if not impossible, to pick just one suburban area. There are so many great ones throughout the country.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 AM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,499,214 times
In Canada some of the best are....

West Vancouver, BC
Oakville, ON
Westmount, QC
Burlington, ON
North Vancouver, BC
White Rock, BC
Oak Bay, BC
Kleinberg, ON

Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,140 posts, read 3,431,539 times
Agree with earlier comments about Walnut Creek, CA and neighboring Lamorinda. And yes, they're are much San Francisco suburbs as Marin is. Cal 24 from I-680 to the Caldecott Tunnel is one of the nicest suburban highways in the U.S.

Kirkland and Woodinville near Seattle get honorable mention, as do the Nath Shah suburbs of Boston like Ipswich, Mahblehead, and Swampscott. Not technically in a suburb, but suburbanized areas on the West Side of Austin also up there.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,140 posts, read 3,431,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Cambridge to me functions as a city, while Scarsdale or Greenwich would be suburbs. They are clearly very different.
Agree. Cambridge, Brookline, also Arlington and Alexandria near DC are subway suburbs with city densities. They're incorporation patterns make them suburbs, but otherwise it's like saying Brooklyn is a suburb of Manhattan, or that Oakland is a suburb of SF.

Only other place in the country that comes close to this subway suburb situation might be Evanston, next to Chicago. Don't really get it outside Boston or DC, even in New York.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:15 PM

187 posts, read 157,975 times
This is really hard to figure due to the large numbers of high-quality suburbs that exist in NA. I guess you would have to figure out which ones would have the best quality of life while also being unique.

Also are we talking about any type of suburb? Or a suburbia type of suburb? Because though both Cambridge and Carmel, IN are both great suburbs, they are both extremely different from each other in terms of built environment and amenities, and a number of other things.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:55 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,103,635 times
Massachusetts: Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Concord
Illinois: Winnetka, Oak Park, Hinsdale
New York: Scarsdale, Rye
Ohio: Rocky River, Hunting Valley
Michigan: East Grand Rapids, Grosse Point

Northern suburbs are inherently more picturesque, with dead-end tree-lined trees, vibrant city centers, and a mix of old and new homes with varying architecture.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 PM

989 posts, read 594,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Good choices all.

I'd also add the following:

Brentwood/Franklin/Williamson County, TN
Carmel, IN
Palo Alto/Menlo Park, CA
Calabasas/Thousand Oaks, CA
Carlsbad/Encinitas/San Elijo Hills, CA (I didn't love living there, but I definitely see the appeal)
Scottsdale, AZ
The Village of Indian Hill, OH
Upper Arlington, OH
Oakland County, MI
Edina, MN
Hoover/Vestavia Hills/Mountain Brook, AL
Boca Raton, FL
Schaumburg, IL

Frankly, it's hard, if not impossible, to pick just one suburban area. There are so many great ones throughout the country.
Big time disagree with that one. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 in Chicago.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,531,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Big time disagree with that one. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 in Chicago.
You're actually being quit generous. This paved over slab of unadulterated urban sprawl has neither a wood nor a field in its tacky midst.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,403,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Massachusetts: Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Concord
Illinois: Winnetka, Oak Park, Hinsdale
New York: Scarsdale, Rye
Ohio: Rocky River, Hunting Valley
Michigan: East Grand Rapids, Grosse Point

Northern suburbs are inherently more picturesque, with dead-end tree-lined trees, vibrant city centers, and a mix of old and new homes with varying architecture.
Agree with Massachusetts but not a big fan of the NY suburbs you listed. Personally my favorites are Tarrytown and in LI I like Garden City. In NJ I like Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City, and Bayonne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or