U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Big time disagree with that one. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 in Chicago.
How about Evanston, and Chicago's suburban north shore area in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM

989 posts, read 593,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
How about Evanston, and Chicago's suburban north shore area in general?
Evanston, yes.

Oak Park, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Hinsdale

Others on the north shore are nice...but many are tiny rich enclaves and not really what the OP was getting at.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 884,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What percent of people in Cambridge commute to Boston? What percent works in Cambridge? Also the MSA name often only in lures the two next largest cities or most important. In Houston these cities are The Woodlands and Sugar Land, both are clearly suburbs. If Cambridge is truly a city (in the center of business sense), does it have commuter burns of its own? Just because it is dense and its urban doesn't mean it isn't a suburb...
Cambridge is a major work center, especially Kendall Square. Many people commute from the suburbs to Cambridge for work.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I don't like sprawling suburbs, where you could be in any city and not really know it. I tend to like suburban cities that are walkable. My favorites-

Houston: Galveston and W. University Place
Austin: Haven't liked any of the ones I've been to.
Detroit: Royal Oak and Ann Arbor
Los Angeles: A lot of great suburbs; Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, West Hollywood, Newport Beach
Minneapolis: St. Paul and Excelsior are my favorites. The part of Edina right adjacent to Minneaplois is nice too.
St. Paul is not a suburb of Minneapolis. It's its own city. Just like how Fort Worth is not a suburb of Dallas. For crying out loud, its the state capital, that negates it being a suburb!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Coral Gables for the Miami area.

Denton for DFW. Most DFW suburbs are bland but Denton stands out more. I guess cuz its a college town, but its also got the historic square with the court house (which has been in many films btw), a music and art scene and a lot of local town pride which is uncommon in American suburbia. In many suburbs, people rep the main city the suburb sorrounds, but in Denton you'll find plenty of people who will proudly rep Denton.

I also like Roseville for the Twin Cities. Its simple but quaint.

Woodburn, Oregon is interesting. Its a suburb of Salem and has a high population of Mexicans as well as Orthodox Russians. Beautiful scenery, too.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:24 AM

322 posts, read 249,805 times
Baltimore is my favorite suburb of Washington, D.C. I really like the history, and the harbor area is nice.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,970,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Baltimore is my favorite suburb of Washington, D.C. I really like the history, and the harbor area is nice.
Shots fired! KodeBlue in 3, 2...

Seriously, in no world is Baltimore a suburb of Washington D.C. It's too large and historically independent to be considered that, even now in the 21st century, with suburban overlap between the two metros. Until very recently, its city proper was larger than D.C.'s, and it maintains its own large sphere of influence.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 AM

5,708 posts, read 5,103,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Greenwich, CT hands down...suburb of NYC. The place is picture perfect.
The same can be said for any wealthy suburb outside of NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, or Chicago.

I think this is a silly thread, you cannot decide which suburb is the best because they are so different. For example, some people prefer the cookie cutter mcmansions and strip malls of the south, whereas I prefer the colonial, walkable villages you find in the Philadelphia suburbs.

All nice options, but night and day.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:54 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,167 times
Scottsdale, AZ
Palo Alto, CA
Mt. Kisco, NY
Rye, NY
Northport, NY
Santa Monica, CA
Marblehead, MA

Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,138,071 times
Basking Ridge, NJ was an extremely nice (and expensive) upbringing for me. Personally I would go with Agoura Hills, CA or Calabasas, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or