U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:58 PM

39 posts, read 31,575 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about sprawling communities with spacious, family oriented homes and amenities for family living like shopping plazas and good schools. There are a lot of places that are technically suburbs because they're not part of the city, but they're still very urban, like Burbank, CA or Richmond Hill, ON.

In my opinion, from my own experience the best suburbs in Canada are North and West Vancouver, BC and the best suburbs in the United States are southern Orange County, CA (south of Irvine, not including the "city" of San Juan Capistrano and the areas right along the coast which are too built up) and the LaMorInda (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda) area in the Bay Area.

Of course there is probably other really nice places back east, but those places especially North Vancouver and Lafayette are the best sort of places for humans to inhabit. I don't like the whole anti-city/anti-gated community/"walkability" trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 02:33 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
I'm talking about sprawling communities with spacious, family oriented homes and amenities for family living like shopping plazas and good schools. There are a lot of places that are technically suburbs because they're not part of the city, but they're still very urban, like Burbank, CA or Richmond Hill, ON.

In my opinion, from my own experience the best suburbs in Canada are North and West Vancouver, BC and the best suburbs in the United States are southern Orange County, CA (south of Irvine, not including the "city" of San Juan Capistrano and the areas right along the coast which are too built up) and the LaMorInda (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda) area in the Bay Area.

Of course there is probably other really nice places back east, but those places especially North Vancouver and Lafayette are the best sort of places for humans to inhabit. I don't like the whole anti-city/anti-gated community/"walkability" trend.
This can be found in any metro area in North America though.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Sausalito, CA was my favorite suburb that I've ever been to. I'm not usually a fan of suburbs at all but I loved Sausalito

Old 06-07-2017, 05:28 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,524,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post

"LaMorInda" as you called it, I would agree with totally. Very nice, upscale, safe areas of the East Bay, I wouldn't really call it a suburb of SF. That would be more like Sausalito, Larkspur, Corte Madera, etc...

Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 PM

75 posts, read 59,302 times
I like Walnut Creek, California.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,264,564 times
This is a category where places like Plano and Frisco, Texas should clean up. Safe, sprawly, insular, pretentious, and bland. They are the epitome of suburbia.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:52 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,483,855 times
Greenwich, CT hands down...suburb of NYC. The place is picture perfect.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,155 times
Newport Beach if you can call that a suburb.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,524,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
I like Walnut Creek, California.
That's where I live. It's a nice & safe area, and you pay for it, majorly

Old 06-08-2017, 11:42 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,942,456 times
Any place with a quick commute to the major regional job centers, highly-rated schools, walkability and well-maintained homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or