U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:37 PM

305 posts, read 238,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We differ in that I don't see rural as backward at all. I go to church with a teacher who grew up in rural New York State. She is polite and shows little difference from the rest of the well-mannered people in our neighborhood. Poverty is not something a person usually chooses for themselves and the South is very sensitive to those who have less than we do. I think that comes from the fact that during the Civil War many well-to-do families lost most of what they owned including their homes when Sherman came through burning his way South. Flaunting riches is frowned upon in the South. Many people have a lot more than one might think they have.

You may be right about one thing. When I see the tattooed, multiple piercings, drug heads, crazy acting people from other parts of the country and some have even moved into our area, nothing makes me want to be anywhere near them. I think isolation can be a good thing. And as one professor at NC State said, "If you are too open-minded you may let too much trash into your brain."

I saw nothing in the list of your other post to be ashamed of by anyone. I still find it puzzling that the South is so battered and no one realizes how rude they are in doing so. Could they maybe think that people in the South don't have feelings.
I din't say rural=backwards, I said the kind of backwards things exist in all rural areas of the country, to some degree or another. Of course there are small towns that are great places to live in the North, filled with nice, well educated people, but those towns exist also in the South, Midwest, West and all parts in-between. Towns like Helen and Rome in North Georgia exude the same quaint, and sensible small town uniqueness and culture that you find in those towns you mentioned in New York. But my point is when you travel through bad, rural, poor towns in the South or parts of the Midwest, you can find those same areas in the North as well. The North skews heavily in favor of it's big, urban cities, and the South tends to skew towards its most poor, non-urban big cities. When people think of the North, especially on this forum, they think of big city life, conveniently leaving out that there are small, rural sections, that are also not so welcoming of outsiders. People also don't talk about the nasty fact that places like NYC forced out a lot of their troubles, I will be kind and just say some of their undesirables. New York is now one of the most segregated cities in the US. In the North, your crazy, social and cultural backwards people are pushed to the extreme areas of the state, and largely forgotten about and it's imagined that they really don't even exist. In the South you do tend to find less extremes, but some of that has to do with the fact that COL has, for the most part, remained lower even in exurbs of major cities. So these undesirable elements in the South tend to not get pushed as far out of normal city life as they do in the North.

Part of this is perception. There has always been a regional, social pecking order in the US that goes, generally, North, West, Midwest and South, and that will not change in my lifetime, which is fine. I can deal with that. I am not so sensitive as to not be able to accept my shortcoming. I also know that the state I came from, Alabama, committed gross atrocities before and even during my lifetime. I do not deny this or try and whitewash this away. It is what it is. But I do think because this country gets it's matching orders so much from the North and West, that people tend to believe everything they hear or see in a movie is true of the South. Like a lot of people believe everybody in the rural South is like the scary people in the movie Deliverance or people are all dimwits like Forrest Gump. Deliverance was fiction, SMH!

There was a lady that worked at my office who moved to Atlanta from Boston and one day she literally started shaking because she had to drive through a town in Georgia called Milledgeville to pick up some supplies. She thought that, because this area was stereotyped by her other co-workers as being redneckville that she, with her Boston accent, was going to get killed. I literally had to go with her to show her that these people were just ordinary rural people, who couldn't afford to live in the nicer burbs of Atlanta. But she really thought she was going to be harmed. It is kinda scary because I can only assume that she was taught this growing up in the North. I know most of what goes on here on city-data is just trolling, so I normally leave well enough alone, but some people do seem to actually believe these things.

This is not to say that there are no violent people in the rural South, there are always going to be people that are violent and committ crimes, but this is not the norm. It's funny because the media always covers these KKK groups that have meet ups in the South and they cover it for days, neglecting to point out that it's usually 20 people from the middle of nowhere, that traveled to a populated area or near a major city and there ends up being more counter-protesters there than actual KKK people. Or when 10 idiots get together at a burned out Win-Dixie parking lot and start waving their confederate flags around. Like clockwork the news media shows up and many people around the country start saying that the "South is trying to rise again." But then people forget that there are white supremacist groups that are meeting in San Bernardino California, or states like Oregon, Wisconsin, and yes even parts of New York.

The point I was making is that I have been to small, rural towns in Ohio, New York and even New Jersey, and if I was blind folded, dropped off in the middle of those towns, and nobody opened their mouth, I would have no idea what region of the country I was in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:39 PM

305 posts, read 238,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Please.....I doubt most foreigners know there is an Indiana.
LOL they probably think it's where Indiana Jones is from.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:41 PM

3,571 posts, read 2,589,384 times
California obviously is the best.

Texas is the worst.

No one thinks of New York State, they think of NYC.

New York state has no image.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,148,258 times
Quote:
Please.....I doubt most foreigners know there is an Indiana.
I don't know about that. It's the Heart of America. You cant get any more Mid-American and typical American than Hoosiers. The State that has the most honest, down to earth, unpretentious people is Indiana. Thats what I've always heard and that was my experience everytime I was in Indiana.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,023,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't know about that. It's the Heart of America. You cant get any more Mid-American and typical American than Hoosiers. The State that has the most honest, down to earth, unpretentious people is Indiana. Thats what I've always heard and that was my experience everytime I was in Indiana.
What's the heart of the UK, what's the heart of France, what's the heart of Germany? Which country in Europe has the most unpretentious people.....that's my point. People don't know of most of our states, where they are, or what the people are like.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 PM

626 posts, read 576,282 times
Quote:
What's the heart of the UK, what's the heart of France, what's the heart of Germany? Which country in Europe has the most unpretentious people.....that's my point. People don't know of most of our states, where they are, or what the people are like.
I think most people have vaguely heard of it, but I don't think they'd have mental image of it, or know anything about it.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,672,422 times
Quote:
I agree. It isn't that Indiana or any other interior state sucks, it's that our largest cities are generally the attractions to tourists. The only time you generally see them mention entire states is when it's touristy states like Florida Or Hawaii.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I agree. It isn't that Indiana or any other interior state sucks, it's that our largest cities are generally the attractions to tourists. The only time you generally see them mention entire states is when it's touristy states like Florida Or Hawaii.
Bingo.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:08 AM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have traveled in 30 of the 50 states and am puzzled as to why any of the 30 states I have traveled to would think themselves superior to the South. Some of the states I have traveled in look depressed. My brother years ago let us in on the fact that all Americans are called Yankee overseas. We were not very happy about that because we consider ourselves to be more civilized and more polite than most people from the north or anywhere else we have met. American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.
For a second there you almost sounded insufferably elitist and snobbish. My mistake. I am sure you are a paragon of manners.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
For a second there you almost sounded insufferably elitist and snobbish. My mistake. I am sure you are a paragon of manners.
Some posters are best ignored. They reveal themselves, eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or