Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times

Advertisements

I wonder if most foreigners, be they Europeans or Asians, can pinpoint exactly on the map where most of the 50 states are except California. Texas, Florida and Hawaii.

Just like how many Americans can pinpoint exactly on the map where Slovenia is in Europe or where Myanmar is in Asia?

For cities, I would say they know about the following:

DC -- capital
NYC -- Statue of Liberty
Chicago -- the gun shooting
San Francisco -- Golden Gate Bridge
LA -- Disney
Honolulu -- girls clad in bikini

If you ask them where is Atlanta and what is famous about it, I bet 99% of respondents will scratch their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 12:54 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I wonder if most foreigners, be they Europeans or Asians, can pinpoint exactly on the map where most of the 50 states are except California. Texas, Florida and Hawaii.

Just like how many Americans can pinpoint exactly on the map where Slovenia is in Europe or where Myanmar is in Asia?

For cities, I would say they know about the following:

DC -- capital
NYC -- Statue of Liberty
Chicago -- the gun shooting
San Francisco -- Golden Gate Bridge
LA -- Disney
Honolulu -- girls clad in bikini

If you ask them where is Atlanta and what is famous about it, I bet 99% of respondents will scratch their heads.
I can agree with all, but Chicago. Maybe the Chicago Bulls, but not the "gun shooting." An attempt to bash Chicago, perhaps? I seriously doubt they keep up on crime rates for US cities.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
I just got back from a trip to Portugal & Spain and did discuss American cities with the locals as well as some folks from France and England.

I mentioned where I lived and the below were the reactions:

NYC - They've all been before and loved it. Some mentioned it's too busy for them. One of them even said it's "very American".
SF - Some have visited and the rest really want to visit. One of them mentioned that SF was always considered "cool" but lately it's become more popular.
Atlanta - Crickets... neither good nor bad.
DC - Some have visited while visiting NYC and others want to visit and then it turned into a Trump discussion. They say all of the visitors from America hate Trump.
Chicago - Not a lot of opinion. One of them visited as a day layover between NYC & SF and said it was nice.

Others they mentioned that they want to visit and see were the Grand Canyon, Miami and basically all of California.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:24 PM

111 posts, read 90,911 times
Depends on what country you ask. I think it is safe to say that Los Angeles and New York get the lions share of tourist appreciation.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I can agree with all, but Chicago. Maybe the Chicago Bulls, but not the "gun shooting." An attempt to bash Chicago, perhaps? I seriously doubt they keep up on crime rates for US cities.
Unless those foreigners are sport fans, what they read from the news about Chicago is most likely how many people died as a result of gun shootings over the last weekend.

We know that most gun shooting incidents are confined to certain neighborhoods of Chicago. But most foreigners don't.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM

This is the headline of Chicago Tribune yesterday:
43 shot in Chicago, 6 of them fatally, on warmest weekend of the year - Chicago Tribune

What will a foreigner think when he reads such headline news?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
This is the headline of Chicago Tribune yesterday:
43 shot in Chicago, 6 of them fatally, on warmest weekend of the year - Chicago Tribune

What will a foreigner think when he reads such headline news?

Foreigners don't read the Chicago Tribune. Do you read foreign newspapers?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Foreigners don't read the Chicago Tribune. Do you read foreign newspapers?
Of course I do if I want to visit the city. If I want to visit London, I would pay attention to the recent terrorist attacks.

Most foreigners are more interested in soccer than basketball.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 PM

I lived in Chicago...for a number of years. In that time, I met plenty of foreigners, who loved the city. You can say what you want, but unless you lived there and experienced the reaction of visitors, you really can't say now, can you. I met people at coffee shops, events, lectures, seminars and dinners. I visited with foreigners on boat tours, and at Navy Pier. I feel I might, perhaps, be a little more qualified to speak on this, just as you might be more qualified to speak on Hawaii.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I lived in Chicago...for a number of years. In that time, I met plenty of foreigners, who loved the city. You can say what you want, but unless you lived there and experienced the reaction of visitors, you really can't say now, can you. I met people at coffee shops, events, lectures, seminars and dinners. I visited with foreigners on boat tours, and at Navy Pier. I feel I might, perhaps, be a little more qualified to speak on this, just as you might be more qualified to speak on Hawaii.
I agree. That is why I say the violence confines to certain neighborhoods. Chicago is a nice city to visit. Only it has an image problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.