Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 03:30 PM

45 posts, read 30,581 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Utah my entire life. I have never been to the front range area of Colorado. The Leadville/Aspen area is the farthest east I have been in Colorado. That was a long time ago so I don't remember much. I feel very geographically spoiled, if you will, growing up in this state. I feel like the Wasatch range is one of the most impressive ranges in the west and I could be totally wrong. That's why I'm here asking. How does the Wasatch compare to other ranges in the western USA? People driving east on interstate 80 are probably amazed once they see the long north south wall of impenetrable looking mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 05:09 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1721 View Post
I have lived in Utah my entire life. I have never been to the front range area of Colorado. The Leadville/Aspen area is the farthest east I have been in Colorado. That was a long time ago so I don't remember much. I feel very geographically spoiled, if you will, growing up in this state. I feel like the Wasatch range is one of the most impressive ranges in the west and I could be totally wrong. That's why I'm here asking. How does the Wasatch compare to other ranges in the western USA? People driving east on interstate 80 are probably amazed once they see the long north south wall of impenetrable looking mountains.
I've never been to the Wasatch Range but I've been all over Colorado and I've Google Earthed most of the western US , so I'll try to infer here. The Wasatch is actually a lot more fragmented than many other big ranges; places like the Sawatch range (closely named but different) or Colorado's Front Range which are much more a solid line of impenetrable mountains, there's only a handful of driveable passes. Though they are relatively similar sized to many of Colorado's peaks, because Colorado has an overall higher elevation, there's much more above treeline terrain in CO.

It looks like they are warmer and wetter than most of the CO ranges, so they are more lush, and it looks like they've been spared from the pine beetle outbreaks for the most part, which is great. Somewhere like Pikes Peak is much more sunny and arid, there's a lot of mountains in CO which frequently do not have solid snowpacks through winter. The EPA puts the Wasatch in a different category (19) from the Southern Rockies (21).

These pictures describe a bit what I'm talking about. You can see Beaver Creek ski area in the center right of the first and Eisenhower tunnel in the 2nd.

Overall, I'd say the Wasatch are neat in that they are really accessible with lots of snow and greenery and some pretty dramatic scenery and great resorts. It's nice that the ski areas are so much closer. However, they aren't as big as CO's mountain ranges. Denver has access to more alpine terrain, most of it undeveloped and devoid of people. CO has much more wilderness land, for better and worse.

The range that really interests me is the Uinta range, because it's one of the most oddly shaped. No other range has long sprawly arms that are so smooth. It's so rounded...

Last edited by Phil P; 05-17-2020 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-18-2020, 02:40 PM

160 posts, read 103,930 times
I always found it a little odd that the Wasatch Range was considered to be the Rocky Mountains

Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
The Wasatch Range is smaller than the Rockies as a whole, obviously. But I will say the Wasatch are more impressive overall, especially from the Salt Lake Valley. The way they snug up to the metro areas in Utah is awesome. Nothing really like it in the U.S., especially in the Provo area.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I mean I get it, and I love the layout of the Greater Salt Lake area along the Wasatch Range, but the San Gabriel Mountains that tower over Los Angeles and the Inland Empire is extremely beautiful as well.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:00 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Wasatch Range is smaller than the Rockies as a whole, obviously. But I will say the Wasatch are more impressive overall, especially from the Salt Lake Valley. The way they snug up to the metro areas in Utah is awesome. Nothing really like it in the U.S., especially in the Provo area.
Even when comparing it to individual ranges in the Rockies, like the Sangre de Cristos or the Elk Mountains the Wasatch are on the smaller side. That's the comparisons that need to be made, range by range rather than this Rocky Mountain conglomerate title. The Wasatch are very pretty and very usable and very close to people. Most of CO's ranges don't have the same weather or topography: they are either too steep, too continuous, or too high to have all that development in them. Above 12500 ft the snow doesn't really accumulate, it's just blowing ice crystals for the most part. Looking at the Sangre's by Westcliffe is case in point.

Colorado Springs has a pretty similar setup to SLC, it's just that Pikes Peak is a more rounded, although larger, mountain and too dry for ski slopes (they tried a couple but they never lasted).

Last edited by Phil P; 05-21-2020 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Not sure how it compares analytically but anecdotally it was my favorite range to ski with that great powder and proximity to Salt Lake City (only 45 minutes). Loved Deer Valley, Park City, Snowbird and Alta.

Next in line for me would be the Sierra Nevada...hard to beat the majestic beauty of Lake Tahoe along with its amenities. This mountain range also includes Mammoth and Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks along with Mt. Whitney (hmm, I might have to rethink my ranking...lol).

Both areas hosted Winter Olympics—SLC region in 2002 and Squaw Valley in 1960.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-21-2020 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I'd say the San Juan range in CO and the Tetons in WY are the most impressive ranges in the Rockies. I do think the Wasatch Range is more striking than the Front Range and the close proximity to SLC is impressive.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
The Wasatch Range is very compact and accessible, I like it. Better than the massive Sierra Nevadas, which take at least two hours to drive across.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 652,790 times
On a clear day the view of the Wasatch from Salt Lake City or pretty much the entire valley area is incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.