Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

Having traveled all over Asia and Europe, New York and California seem to draw a lot of interest from abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Best: New York City, California (includes all the major cities), Hawaii. Less known, but still praised: DC, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia.

Worst: The south, people abroad that I have come across generally refer to the US as having wonderful coastal regions and cities (East, West) and the middle is scary, which is true to an extent. Sorry Chicago gets lumped in with that sometimes.
Scary?

"Sorry Chicago gets lumped in with that sometimes."

You do know Chicago has a bad rep overseas too right?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:56 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Scary?

Yea scary.... backwards, conservative, homophobic, xenophobic, redneck, etc. I am not sayig its true or false, but those are the usual reactions I hear from foreigners. And I rarely hear someone overseas say/ think negatively about Chicago. What is the bad rep Chicago has?

I am also not basing my statements off of 1 oversears person I know, guessing at how they may view the USA, (a lot of you probably are) this is from extensive traveling and my interactions with hundreds of friends/ aquaintances/ collegues from overseas. I have heard a few inquire about Chicagos crime problems, but they were by no means trashing it.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:57 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
California has the best reputation abroad. You can argue that there are two different kinds of worst reputation abroad. The two kinds would be where a state has an unfavorable reputation abroad or you can argue that to be where a state is so little known that it has no reputation abroad.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Scary?

In what part of the world? As far as East Asia goes, Chicago seems to have a pretty fine reputation based on Bulls (Jordan era, of course), Obama, and the universities (University of Chicago and Northwestern).

Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea scary.... backwards, conservative, homophobic, xenophobic, redneck, etc. I am not sayig its true or false, but those are the usual reactions I hear from foreigners. And I rarely hear someone overseas say/ think negatively about Chicago. What is the bad rep Chicago has?

I am also not basing my statements off of 1 oversears person I know, guessing at how they may view the USA, (a lot of you probably are) this is from extensive traveling and my interactions with hundreds of friends/ aquaintances/ collegues from overseas. I have heard a few inquire about Chicagos crime problems, but they were by no means trashing it.
True, which is kind of funny because of the skewed perceptions foreigners have about Americans due to them only engulfing themselves with knowledge of the West and Northeast. Certain things such as Americans not being family oriented, not having a cuisine, not having any culture, parents not having discipline, and etc. all comes from the over-idolization of California and New York. The same exact things are found within the South, but most wouldn't know because of the assumptions.

I hear negative things about Chicago from foreigners; especially when it involves race-related issues in America. I know the crime is pretty much to the South and some areas in the West, and that's it's not indicative of the whole city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In what part of the world? As far as East Asia goes, Chicago seems to have a pretty fine reputation based on Bulls (Jordan era, of course), Obama, and the universities (University of Chicago and Northwestern).
That's East Asia, they also think the US isn't diverse.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:52 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
True, which is kind of funny because of the skewed perceptions foreigners have about Americans due to them only engulfing themselves with knowledge of the West and Northeast. Certain things such as Americans not being family oriented, not having a cuisine, not having any culture, parents not having discipline, and etc. all comes from the over-idolization of California and New York. The same exact things are found within the South, but most wouldn't know because of the assumptions.

I hear negative things about Chicago from foreigners; especially when it involves race-related issues in America. I know the crime is pretty much to the South and some areas in the West, and that's it's not indicative of the whole city.

I do agree with that. Foreigners do love to make fun of Americans, many of their views are either false or highly exaggerated, yet who does the world rely on for everything that is human... USA.

I do think our TV shows and movies have a lot to do with perceptions of how the world views us, sometimes they are good, sometimes not so good.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:05 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Quote:
Scary?

That's a first to me...At least in places i've been people have always regarded Chicago as great city

Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Wait, how do you figure that people in East Asia don't think America is diverse? There's been a massive immigration boom from East Asia in the last few decades, large tourism numbers (and students being sent here), and the US media does show some diversity and gets exported. How did you figure that East Asia as a whole doesn't think the US is diverse?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I think California and New York have a good reputation overseas.I bet Texas has a bad reputation overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.