U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The OP appears to be long gone.
Nope, just reading the thread as notifications come in
Thank you everyone for your help! It was incredibly useful and helped us to narrow down some points of interest.
We ended up choosing Bisbee, Arizona and are excited to get down there!
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 AM

44,758 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Covington or Abita Springs, Louisiana - outside of New Orleans but definitely not IN New Orleans. Abita Springs is close to Covington, which is close to New Orleans, and it's a bit of an artist's enclave.

Also, Ben Wheeler or Edom, Texas - close to Dallas but both are small, artist enclaves. And Salado is close to Austin and is an artsy town.

Oops, just read that you made your choice but hopefully you can visit the towns I mentioned on vacation. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:34 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,878,715 times
Silver City, NM

http://www.visitsilvercity.org/

Last edited by WildWestDude; 12-23-2017 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 07:55 AM

23,075 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Covington or Abita Springs, Louisiana - outside of New Orleans but definitely not IN New Orleans. Abita Springs is close to Covington, which is close to New Orleans, and it's a bit of an artist's enclave.

Also, Ben Wheeler or Edom, Texas - close to Dallas but both are small, artist enclaves. And Salado is close to Austin and is an artsy town.

Oops, just read that you made your choice but hopefully you can visit the towns I mentioned on vacation. Good luck.
My very favorite painting in my personal collection came from an antique store in Abita Springs!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 AM

17,739 posts, read 8,871,248 times
Boulder?

Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,803,577 times
What do you mean by "artsy"? When people use that term they are usually referring to visual arts (painting and maybe some crafts). When I hear that term I think of all the arts which includes, theatre, dance, music, ect. For instance, New York is artsy, LA is artsy, Boston is artsy. I know they are all larger cities, but the term "artsy" means different things to different people.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
What do you mean by "artsy"? When people use that term they are usually referring to visual arts (painting and maybe some crafts). When I hear that term I think of all the arts which includes, theatre, dance, music, ect. For instance, New York is artsy, LA is artsy, Boston is artsy. I know they are all larger cities, but the term "artsy" means different things to different people.
I think of such as a community as one that strives not only to maintain an artistic presence (galleries, schools, festivals, theaters and troupes) but to inspire the artistic community as well (instruction, seminars, collaboration, fellowship and financial support). Affluence, universities, natural beauty and eccentricity are often overlaps in such a place.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:56 AM

44,758 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My very favorite painting in my personal collection came from an antique store in Abita Springs!
I'm jealous - I love Abita Springs! What a cute town. And I'm a sucker for original art that I find in little antique or resale stores.

Another town I wanted to mention - but it gets more cold weather than the southern towns I mentioned - is Yellow Springs, Ohio. Dave Chappelle actually lives there, which always strikes me as weird, but anyway, it's a very artsy, hippie little town with a lot of charm. It's close to Dayton.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:20 AM

Artistic communities sometimes pop up in unexpected places. In the middle of nowhere, for example (on Florida's "Forgotten Coast") is the community of Cedar Key. Artists often seem to derive value from remoteness and solitude.

Old Florida & Historic Town: The Island City of Cedar Key, Fla

Old 12-24-2017, 09:45 AM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLili View Post
Nope, just reading the thread as notifications come in
Thank you everyone for your help! It was incredibly useful and helped us to narrow down some points of interest.
We ended up choosing Bisbee, Arizona and are excited to get down there!
Thanks again!
Good choice. You’ll like Bisbee, best climate in AZ too.

Jerome, AZ and Silver City, NM are also good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or