U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I will be moving this Fall as we want a change from living in Western Colorado (cold, dry, and a whole lot of snow). Since we don't have to move for work, I'm trying to gather some ideas of potential places to move to.

We're looking all over the mainland USA (Hawaii's animal quarantine doesn't work for our animals).

Main preferences (I know no place is perfect, but at least most of these would be nice):
-Warm/temperate for most of the year (mainly looking at limited snowfall, if any).
-Humid (not the 'Sauna' feeling, but we have experienced humidity and enjoyed it. We live in a strictly dry zone, so anything really is an improvement).
-Near a small, artsy kind of town (something that has activities, like craft fairs, festivals, etc. Kind of like maybe Taos, New Mexico, but without the expensive living. Not a 'sleepy town' or farming town).
-But also within a days drive to a larger city for shopping purposes.
-Not California (too expensive).

Even if you can only offer a general area to look at, that's a great start for us.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 PM

21,182 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Check out Brevard NC

Everyone I know who has visited loves the town and it's friendly progressive vibe, along with year-round activities including a good number of varying artisans and all kinds of festivals/events. It's about 30 minutes from Asheville and 15 minutes from Hendersonville so whatever you can't find in Brevard is quickly available otherwise.

Welcome to Heart of Brevard in Brevard, North Carolina
Brevard NC, guide for visitors and locals. Everything you need to know about Brevard Visit Brevard NC

Old 06-08-2017, 02:05 PM

18,914 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLili View Post
Hello, my family and I will be moving this Fall as we want a change from living in Western Colorado (cold, dry, and a whole lot of snow). Since we don't have to move for work, I'm trying to gather some ideas of potential places to move to.

We're looking all over the mainland USA (Hawaii's animal quarantine doesn't work for our animals).

Main preferences (I know no place is perfect, but at least most of these would be nice):
-Warm/temperate for most of the year (mainly looking at limited snowfall, if any).
-Humid (not the 'Sauna' feeling, but we have experienced humidity and enjoyed it. We live in a strictly dry zone, so anything really is an improvement).
-Near a small, artsy kind of town (something that has activities, like craft fairs, festivals, etc. Kind of like maybe Taos, New Mexico, but without the expensive living. Not a 'sleepy town' or farming town).
-But also within a days drive to a larger city for shopping purposes.
-Not California (too expensive).

Even if you can only offer a general area to look at, that's a great start for us.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Maybe Jerome, AZ

Old 06-08-2017, 02:40 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Consider Greenville SC, near the Blue Ridge mountains. Little snowfall and pretty mild winters.

It has a great downtown area and a lot of art festivals.

VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM

21,182 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Just reread your original post and if you truly want something consistently warm and more humid you might consider St Augustine FL. The humidity is kind of on the high side from July-September typically, but not so bad the rest of the year (I live an hour away). November through April is beautiful and the "shoulder" months of October and May are usually fairly manageable too. It's definitely has the artsy vibe and a lot of great history. St Augustine's proximity to Jacksonville (30 minutes) provides access to anything else you could possibly need.

St. Augustine, FL Vacation & Travel Resource

Old 06-08-2017, 04:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 3,295,987 times
Asheville, NC
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Austin, TX

Someplace along Florida's gulf coast maybe, such as Destin?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,726,253 times
^
Yeah, Asheville is the first place that came to mind.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Delay Beach, FL

Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,360,515 times
I thought of Asheville but if Taos is too expensive Asheville probably will be too. Maybe small town western Oregon or Washington. Eugene comes to mind. PNW weather is mild but cloudy and rainy and not everyone's cup of tea. Less expensive than California though if you steer clear of Seattle and Portland.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Delray Beach, FL
*edited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or