U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times

Advertisements

Louisville, KC, Cleveland, Pittsburgh

I hear good things about Boise and Chattanooga too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,852,623 times
I'd say Cleveland/Northeast Ohio (May-October) is underrated as a travel destination. The city is very attractive and affordable, and offers a lot to do. We've been gradually making over a lot of our old buildings and public spaces, so the main parts of the city feel fresh and renewed. Some of the best things to do in the region are:

-Fantastic independent restaurants all around the city, and AFFORDABLE compared to bigger cities.
-Nature: from the Lakefront, to the Cuyahoga Metroparks, to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park
-Amish Country - Picturesque, relaxing, and great handmade furniture
-Cedar Point Amusement Park - The BEST roller coaster park in the country
-The Cleveland Orchestra (especially Blossom Music Center in the summer - beautiful setting, great for a picnic)
-Museums, especially the completely renovated art museum, and Rock and Roll HOF (Natural History Museum, Science Center, Aquarium, and Cleveland History Center are also very good)
-Sports - Our sports teams (minus the Browns) are hot right now, and Clevelanders have lots of love for their teams
-Historic architecture - Buildings like The Old Arcade, The Cleveland Trust Rotunda (now Heinen's Supermarket), The Huntington Building, Terminal Tower, Lakeview Cemetery are all opulent Gilded Age treasures
-Playhouse Square - One of the biggest theater districts in the country, gorgeous 1930s theaters, great shows.
-Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHYPJ5ctmw&t=18s

Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 728,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Wilmington, Delaware.
I agree that Wilmington is HIGHLY underrated! I made it a mission of mine to walk through Wilmington earlier this year. I took the Wilmington/Newark Line to the beautifully designed Furness-style gem of a station and walked all the way out to Little Italy. I will certainly be back, as I have much more to see!

I would have to say that Baltimore is also underrated. I'm saying this as someone who needs to back and walk outside of the touristy areas! Baltimore has some really interesting history and Colonial-era housing stock. Cleveland and Cincinnati (ESPECIALLY Over-the-Rhine) also fall into the underrated category.

Finally, while I would say that Philly is no longer underrated like it used to be, certain neighborhoods are underrated. It seems like people no longer consider Philly a stopover day trip before reaching New York; nevertheless, a lot of tourists never leave Center City/University City! That annoys me to no end, because Philly is so much more than Greater Center City. Germantown, for example, is a very interesting neighborhood to visit. How come people don't venture further into South Philly past the two cheesesteak places that no real Philadelphian really cares for? There is a beautiful Japanese pagoda in Fairmount Park in West Philly. I bet tourists wouldn't have guessed that they can go for a hike within the city at Wissahickon Valley Park. On top of this, there are a ton of attractions in our metro area, many of which are connected by SEPTA's Regional Rail, NJ Transit's Atlantic City Line, and the PATCO High Speed Line.

Whenever my friends visit me, I never really keep them in Center City for too long. I've had people blown away by how much they never knew that Philly offered outside of Center City.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM

75 posts, read 59,462 times
1) Palm Desert, California

2) San Antonio, Texas

3) Memphis, Tennessee

4) Annapolis, Maryland

5) Portland, Maine

6) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Old 06-09-2017, 09:45 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,283,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
1) Palm Desert, California

2) San Antonio, Texas

3) Memphis, Tennessee

4) Annapolis, Maryland

5) Portland, Maine

6) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Gonna have to disagree with that one. Between the overcrowded Riverwalk and the underwhelming Alamo, San Antonio may be the single-most overrated tourist destination in Texas. We actually enjoyed the hole-in-the-wall Texas Transportation Museum and the San Antonio Children's Museum (DoSeum) more than The Alamo and the Riverwalk.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,158,323 times
I've actually been waiting for a thread like this to express how impressed I am with Colorado Springs. It's very underrated if you like the outdoors and I really can't stress enough how great it is.

1. Seven Falls: I really is an experience. You begin at the Broadmoor Hotel and take a shuttle to the visitor ticket center. From there you walk (Or take a tram) through this beautiful canyon. The actual falls are absolutely breathtaking. Not many cities have scenery like that pretty much within the city. https://www.broadmoor.com/broadmoor-...s/seven-falls/
2. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo: This Zoo is spectacular. It's on a mountain so you can see the entire city. The set up is very unique due to the topography of the area. Feeding the Giraffes is a big attraction there. Great for family fun!
3. Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak Cog rail and the Incline: This one is for those who really want a challenge. People from all over the country go to the incline to test how in shape they are. It's not for everyone, but if you're able to do it, the sense of accomplishment is great! The cog rail is more for relaxing and taking in the views of the entire city. You ride to the top of one of the USA's most iconic mountains. It's like a cruise on a mountain. The actual city of Manitou is very touristy and quaint.
4. Downtown: Very touristy and more active than one would think.
5. Garden of the Gods: Very beautiful and one of the the biggest attractions in the area.

It would take a while to write something for every attraction but in short, all the things I listed above along with the US Air Force Academy, Broadmoor Hotel, US Olympic Training Center, Old Colorado City, Cave of the Winds, Santa's Workshop Amusement Park, Manitou Cliff Dwelling etc make fore a great place to visit (Especially in the Summer). I think if the city promoted itself better, it could become one of the best tourist destinations in the US.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM

17,708 posts, read 4,087,824 times
I think Albuquerque in the Land of Enchantment is underrated.I really enjoyed my time there.I dont think San Antone is underrated.I think Corpus may be underrated.I also think El Paso,Texas is underrated.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Rapid City has some stunning nature within an hour and a half drive, and Art Alley is cool too. It probably isn't on anybodies A list for travel, but should be for the Badlands alone.

Another very nice spot is Burlington, Vermont which is a charming little city sandwiched between a big lake and the mountains.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,023,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Rapid City has some stunning nature within an hour and a half drive, and Art Alley is cool too. It probably isn't on anybodies A list for travel, but should be for the Badlands alone.

Another very nice spot is Burlington, Vermont which is a charming little city sandwiched between a big lake and the mountains.
I completely agree on Rapid City...the Badlands are amazing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8467...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I completely agree on Rapid City...the Badlands are amazing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8467...7i13312!8i6656
I liked this spot a lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8693...7i10240!8i5120
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or