U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:13 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times

Advertisements

Some white American dude, said "Danke" to me here in Albuquerque yesterday. I never felt more European-American.

But seriously, as far as movement trends, they will move where economic opportunity presents itself just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Italians/Italian-American in the northeast pattern is Manhattan > outerboroughs > New Jersey/Long Island > Florida/Arizona/somewhere else

Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM

7,812 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I assume you mean white people. And to be honest I think the future of a white majority in America may hing on whether or not they officially classify about 40% of Hispanics as white Americans. I don't expect whites to abandon any one metro area though.
I do believe that whites have abandoned Miami and Los Angeles in droves.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do believe that whites have abandoned Miami and Los Angeles in droves.
I am not sure if Whites really abandoned LA as much as they moved to the suburbs. Although a lot of the whites seem to be newer European migrants mostly from Eastern Europe, here is an interesting link.

How has the demographics of your city/metro/state changed in the past 40 years?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 PM

116 posts, read 278,365 times
I'm lost at a (white) European American being considered as a minority. Even with the cultural differences they can move to anywhere in the US and will be considered part of White America.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM

483 posts, read 422,137 times
Oakland is now plurality non-hispanic white. It is one of the most racially diverse cities in the US..

Old 06-12-2017, 12:02 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I'm lost at a (white) European American being considered as a minority. Even with the cultural differences they can move to anywhere in the US and will be considered part of White America.
Western Europeans have very similar cultures to the U.S, but many Eastern European countries are vastly
different to the point that if a predominantly European, English speaking Mexican came to the U.S they might be considered more culturally similar than an Eastern European. Part of he reason Brexit even happened was because Romanians and Polish were accused of many of the same things Mexicans are accused of doing in the U.S.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM

1,011 posts, read 638,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Some Phoenix suburbs has a high percentage large German-American population in many of the suburbs due to so many Midwestern people moving there over generations.

The city of Phoenix itself likely isn't high percentage German. But I would venture to guess many suburbs are like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and much of the West Valley suburbs.

Phoenix for the same reason has more Polish-Americans and Eastern European-Americans for being in the Southwest. This due to Midwestern transplants into the city.

I remember working a place that was social in Phoenix and it was very interesting how many people are from the Midwest, had family that moved to Arizona from the Midwest generations ago.

I notice many more Germanic surnames in Metro Phoenix as opposed to Las Vegas or other Western cities.

Seems as though many people in Colorado, Utah and Nevada have English surnames. Arizona has more German, Polish and Eastern European surnames.

Reno, Nevada traditionally has had alot of Italian-Americans and many people from Northern California move there and for some reason parts of northern California are known for a large Italian-American population.

Supposedly, the Northeastern influx into Florida has made it more and more Irish and Italian. As, the Northeastern United States has a large outflow to Florida.
I lived in Arizona for a while, and I agree in that there is definitely a preponderance of German, Polish and Eastern European surnames in Arizona relative to other Western states as a result of high migration from the urbanized areas of the Midwest over the course of many decades.

As an Italian-American who grew up in Rhode Island, where it seems as if everyone has an Italian surname, I was surprised to hear so many Italian surnames in Arizona, too. Of course, Italian surnames weren't nearly as common in Arizona as they were in the Northeast, but because Arizona is so far west, I did find this intriguing. I would imagine that most Italian-Americans in Arizona have migrated from the Northeast, Midwest and Northern California.

Nevada seems to attract more transplants from Idaho and Utah than Arizona due to its closer proximity to those states. Since Idaho and Utah are very heavily Mormon states, and Mormons are overwhelmingly English in ancestry, that's probably why you find more English surnames in Nevada than Arizona.

Also, because Nevada has no state income tax, it attracts more transplants from Texas than Arizona does. As a Southern state, Texas has many residents with English surnames.

In addition to becoming more Irish and Italian over the years, Florida has also become significantly more German and Polish, too. Don't forget, Northeastern cities where many Florida residents originate such as Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh are heavily German and Polish.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:33 PM

972 posts, read 737,483 times
Are there any places whites seem to be abondaning? I heard LA, and Miami? Any place whites are moving to in droves?

Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Hispanic derives from Hispania....you know, that peninsula in EUROPE that houses Spain & Portugal?

As for Miami, its county has actually become more white since the last Census at 78.1%, but I suppose that majority white Hispanics don't count as European?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or