Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Are there any places whites seem to be abondaning? I heard LA, and Miami? Any place whites are moving to in droves?
Non-Hispanic whites have been abandoning Los Angeles for decades now. In 1960, Los Angeles was one of the whitest, most Protestant major cities in America; by 2005, less than 50 years later, Los Angeles was the least white major city in the country, although I believe that distinction now belongs to Houston, TX in 2017 by a very slim margin. From a historical perspective, no other city in America has undergone such rapid demographic change in such a short amount of time as Los Angeles.

The demographics of Miami have changed considerably over the course of the late 20th and early 21st centuries as well, but the demographic changes in Miami are more nuanced in real life relative to Los Angeles for several reasons:
  • Most Hispanics living in Miami/South Florida are white from a perspective of race, since Miami draws most of its Latin American immigrants from Cuba and South America. OTOH, most Hispanics living in Los Angeles are mestizo or indigenous Mexicans and Central Americans who are, by no means, "white."
  • Miami still maintains a steady influx of European, Canadian and Israeli immigrants, something that Los Angeles lacks.
  • With high populations of Jewish-Americans, Southern and Eastern European-Americans and French-Canadians, the non-Hispanic whites in South Florida -- both natives and transplants -- tend to have darker complexions than the whites native to Los Angeles, who are mostly descended from fair-haired British, Irish and Germanic settlers from the Midwest and South. Given that the Hispanics in South Florida are of the whiter variety, the non-Hispanic whites are of the darker variety, what meets the eye in terms of the demographic shift in Miami is more nuanced than in Los Angeles.
  • Because Miami is a popular tourist and snowbird destination for people from Europe, Canada, South America and the Northeast and Midwest regions of the U.S., there are probably many more white people in Miami at any given time than in Los Angeles, which tends to draw more tourists from Mexico, Asia and the Middle East.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 06-12-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Hispanic derives from Hispania....you know, that peninsula in EUROPE that houses Spain & Portugal?

As for Miami, its county has actually become more white since the last Census at 78.1%, but I suppose that majority white Hispanics don't count as European?
I count them as white but I don't know if Seattle (the Op) would count them as white. I now more white hispanic people than mestizo or native Hispanic people, but since they don't consider themselves white Americans even though many of them have brown hair and even green eyes, I don't consider them "white" either even though their likely at least 70% white.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,023 times
Well idk I guess white is complex. I mean of European descent. If your only part European you're mixed. That's how I think of it, I guess?

Old 06-13-2017, 01:26 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Non-Hispanic whites have been abandoning Los Angeles for decades now. In 1960, Los Angeles was one of the whitest, most Protestant major cities in America; by 2005, less than 50 years later, Los Angeles was the least white major city in the country, although I believe that distinction now belongs to Houston, TX in 2017 by a very slim margin. From a historical perspective, no other city in America has undergone such rapid demographic change in such a short amount of time as Los Angeles.

The demographics of Miami have changed considerably over the course of the late 20th and early 21st centuries as well, but the demographic changes in Miami are more nuanced in real life relative to Los Angeles for several reasons:
  • Most Hispanics living in Miami/South Florida are white from a perspective of race, since Miami draws most of its Latin American immigrants from Cuba and South America. OTOH, most Hispanics living in Los Angeles are mestizo or indigenous Mexicans and Central Americans who are, by no means, "white."
  • Miami still maintains a steady influx of European, Canadian and Israeli immigrants, something that Los Angeles lacks.
  • With high populations of Jewish-Americans, Southern and Eastern European-Americans and French-Canadians, the non-Hispanic whites in South Florida -- both natives and transplants -- tend to have darker complexions than the whites native to Los Angeles, who are mostly descended from fair-haired British, Irish and Germanic settlers from the Midwest and South. Given that the Hispanics in South Florida are of the whiter variety, the non-Hispanic whites are of the darker variety, what meets the eye in terms of the demographic shift in Miami is more nuanced than in Los Angeles.
  • Because Miami is a popular tourist and snowbird destination for people from Europe, Canada, South America and the Northeast and Midwest regions of the U.S., there are probably many more white people in Miami at any given time than in Los Angeles, which tends to draw more tourists from Mexico, Asia and the Middle East.
Your point about Miami/South Florida is not true, there are tons of mestizo and mulatto Hispanics there as well

Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
People have to remember that the non-hispanic white population of this country is rapidly decreasing every decade....like on a scale of 4-5% a decade. This means naturally that cities and regions across the country are becoming less white. The only way to slow down the rapid decrease is to slow down immigration like Trump and other Republicans are trying to do. Some folks will see that as a good thing...others a bad thing.

It's almost all but a foregone conclusion that non-hispanic whites will become a plurality unless they increase their birthrates and slow down immigration.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:12 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
I'm not sure there's any way you could easily track this. I mean, every decade the Census will tell you the change in each sub-demographic of the population (including whites) for every single county, and even city. However, this is just a raw number. Population growth rates are modified by not only domestic migration but international immigration and natural population change (births minus deaths). As the white population of the U.S. is older and tends to have smaller families, it generally shrinks in any state which isn't seeing strong domestic migration.

The American Community Survey does track domestic migration each year, but it does not disaggregate by race. You can use it to tell the county of origin of domestic migrants however.

In general, in recent years, domestic migrants flow to two areas - the West (mostly WA, OR, NV, AZ, CO, UT, and ID), and parts of the South (FL, TX, GA, SC, NC, and TN). Much of the western growth is triggered by the California diaspora - people from elsewhere in the country don't move West in large numbers (and Californians don't move east of Texas). The southern growth is mostly triggered by Northeastern and Midwestern transplants.

My impression is that the western growth is mostly due to white domestic migrants - particularly in some of the booming small cities in the interior west like Bend and Boise. To the extent blacks leave Cali, they tend to migrate to the South, and I don't think there's any one place that's hot for Latino migrants. In contrast, blacks and whites are pretty much equally likely to move to the South, although they tend to go to different places - Blacks are more heavily drawn to Georgia, and to a lesser extent Texas, while transplants to say Tennessee or South Carolina are more heavily white.

One should also keep in mind a large proportion of domestic migrants are either retirees or empty nesters. This is an important caveat because it means in the longer run their movement into these areas will not lead to steady population growth. At some point they will age and die, and their communities will need to attract even more people to replace them.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People have to remember that the non-hispanic white population of this country is rapidly decreasing every decade....like on a scale of 4-5% a decade. This means naturally that cities and regions across the country are becoming less white. The only way to slow down the rapid decrease is to slow down immigration like Trump and other Republicans are trying to do. Some folks will see that as a good thing...others a bad thing.

It's almost all but a foregone conclusion that non-hispanic whites will become a plurality unless they increase their birthrates and slow down immigration.
Nationally, whites will become a plurality if current immigration trends continue, since a great deal of the American populace is concentrated in the three most populous states of California, Texas and Florida. California and Texas are already majority-minority states, and Florida is approaching that threshold, although more slowly than demographers had previously anticipated.

However, the United States will probably always feel like a non-Hispanic white country outside of those areas. States like Kentucky, Iowa, Ohio, Oregon, Utah and Vermont probably going to remain very white well past the 2040's, regardless of current or future immigration trends.

Most of my family lives in Connecticut and Rhode Island, and at 70-80% non-Hispanic white, those states still feel very, very white relative to California, where I live. Hell, even Florida at 55-60% feels much, much whiter than California, which is about 35-40% non-Hispanic white.

I don't think percentages or raw numbers always tell the full story.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,461,564 times
Based off the last census data the only part of CA with significant white population growth is the Sierra Foothills near Sacramento.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

I will only speak to this one since this is my ethnicity. Many Eastern Europeans are very fair. I don't know where the opposite presumption comes from.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:07 PM

657 posts, read 802,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I will only speak to this one since this is my ethnicity. Many Eastern Europeans are very fair. I don't know where the opposite presumption comes from.
Yeah, I live in an area with tons of Eastern Europeans and without hearing them talk I often find them hard to tell apart from white native Brits. He may have Romanians in mind, where a significant number are a little darker, but a fair few are still very fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.