U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:56 PM

972 posts, read 737,483 times

Advertisements

So where are European Americans moving to? Especially as they become minorities will they just gentrify the cities? Flee some metro areas? Embrace the diversity? Move to rual cheaper areas? What are other racial demographic movement trends? I hear lots of African Americans are returning to the south? What about Hispanics? Are they still preferring near the border, small towns with labor work, and big cities with generous welfare? What are the trends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 PM

3,928 posts, read 2,209,964 times
When you say "European" Americans do you mean just white people? Or do you mean immigrants from Europe, and if that is the case do you mean any European or only western Europeans? Do eastern Europeans count such as Russians/Ukrainians? I know that a lot of Russians are starting to move to the south east/Carolinas because it's very warm there and cheap at least that's what I heard from some family members. Currently most Russians live on the west coast.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:19 PM

972 posts, read 737,483 times
Just people of European descent or immigrants from Europe. Any areas will get whiter? What areas likely to get less white?

Old 06-09-2017, 04:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 2,209,964 times
I don't think there are any cities that getting whiter, most cities seem to be getting more diverse. There might be a few mountain towns or something that well remain pretty white, other wise I don't really see it happening.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 PM

17,651 posts, read 4,055,214 times
Hello,I am a White American and I am thinking of moving to Arizona,New Mexico,Oklahoma,Arkansas.I at least want to live in various cities in Texas maybe in addition to those other states.I plan on settling down in Texas.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 PM

1,033 posts, read 723,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don't think there are any cities that getting whiter, most cities seem to be getting more diverse. There might be a few mountain towns or something that well remain pretty white, other wise I don't really see it happening.
Believe it or not, Philadelphia is a (slim) majority-white city as of at least 2014. It has become more diverse overall, but its white population has surpassed the formerly dominant black population.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,624,811 times
I assume you mean white people. And to be honest I think the future of a white majority in America may hing on whether or not they officially classify about 40% of Hispanics as white Americans. I don't expect whites to abandon any one metro area though.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:10 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,624,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Huh???? A lot of cities are getting whiter, in fact most large cities that had a black majority are getting whiter, D.C and Atlanta are two prime examples of this. The metro's as a whole are getting more diverse though, maybe that's what you mean.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,630,168 times
Some Phoenix suburbs has a high percentage large German-American population in many of the suburbs due to so many Midwestern people moving there over generations.

The city of Phoenix itself likely isn't high percentage German. But I would venture to guess many suburbs are like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and much of the West Valley suburbs.

Phoenix for the same reason has more Polish-Americans and Eastern European-Americans for being in the Southwest. This due to Midwestern transplants into the city.

I remember working a place that was social in Phoenix and it was very interesting how many people are from the Midwest, had family that moved to Arizona from the Midwest generations ago.

I notice many more Germanic surnames in Metro Phoenix as opposed to Las Vegas or other Western cities.

Seems as though many people in Colorado, Utah and Nevada have English surnames. Arizona has more German, Polish and Eastern European surnames.

Reno, Nevada traditionally has had alot of Italian-Americans and many people from Northern California move there and for some reason parts of northern California are known for a large Italian-American population.

Supposedly, the Northeastern influx into Florida has made it more and more Irish and Italian. As, the Northeastern United States has a large outflow to Florida.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:31 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,993,051 times
Seattle, Portland, Boulder

The great white flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or