Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There are cacti all over IL, not just by the beaches. I made that awesome discovery while hiking all over the state when I lived there.
Cacti range across almost all of the Americas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus#Distribution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This.

Google Nevada on Images. Guarantee one of the first things you'll see is the Las Vegas sign. Where is that again... in a desert maybe? What else might come up? Hoover Dam? Hmmm.... Area 51? Also a desert.

Google Arizona on Images. Grand Canyon will pop up. That's in a desert. Saguaros will probably pop up. Also a desert. Phoenix skyline will probably show up also. Where is that again?

No one thinks of AZ or NV and thinks of Mount Charleston or Flagstaff. At best you might get Sedona or Reno, but that's a rare few.

All deserts are hot, point blank period. Only place I've seen that still has a desert landscape and actually gets cold and is moderate in the summer (I mean truly moderate, lower than 90s in the summer) is Santa Fe. All deserts are hot, if you've ever been to Salt Lake City region you'd know. Even the Gobi desert in Mongolia gets hot. There isn't a Mars equivalent on Earth.

Do Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah all have best secrets of cool places? Yes! Let's keep them our best kept secrets.
I agree with your association point, but the bolded is wildly untrue. The largest desert on Earth is also the coldest place on Earth-Antarctica. There are several major areas that are cold and considered deserts, which isn't relegated strictly to temperature and everything to do with precipitation.

The 10 Coldest Deserts Across the World - Swifty.com

Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I agree with your association point, but the bolded is wildly untrue. The largest desert on Earth is also the coldest place on Earth-Antarctica. There are several major areas that are cold and considered deserts, which isn't relegated strictly to temperature and everything to do with precipitation.

The 10 Coldest Deserts Across the World - Swifty.com
Cold deserts (not polar climates) get pretty much just as hot in the summer, and much colder in the winter, which is why many of the cold deserts you are referencing are further inland.

I suggest reading that first paragraph of the article you linked, and then checking the temperatures of those deserts, and prove me wrong. Prove to me they don't get to the 90s and triple digits in the summer.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Cold deserts (not polar climates) get pretty much just as hot in the summer, and much colder in the winter, which is why many of the cold deserts you are referencing are further inland.

I suggest reading that first paragraph of the article you linked, and then checking the temperatures of those deserts, and prove me wrong. Prove to me they don't get to the 90s and triple digits in the summer.
Antarctica is a desert, the largest on Earth. Northern Greenland is also a desert, and its summer high temperatures are nowhere near the 90s and triple digits. While there are indeed cold deserts that get high temps during the day/summer, such as the Gobi, your assertion that all deserts are hot remains untrue. Many polar climates are deserts, irrespective of what you feel.

Arctic Deserts | USA Today

Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Cacti range across almost all of the Americas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus#Distribution
I know, thank you.

We were discussing IL in particular, though.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Antarctica is a desert, the largest on Earth. Northern Greenland is also a desert, and its summer high temperatures are nowhere near the 90s and triple digits. While there are indeed cold deserts that get high temps during the day/summer, such as the Gobi, your assertion that all deserts are hot remains untrue. Many polar climates are deserts, irrespective of what you feel.

Arctic Deserts | USA Today
Antarctica counts as a desert because of precipitation levels only, and nothing else. And Antarctica doesn't get hogh precipitation levels, because it snows instead. If we counted snow as rainfall it wouldn't count at all.

AGAIN, there are COLD DESERT CLIMATES, and POLAR CLIMATES. A cold desert (like the Gobi) still gets in the 90s and triple digits for summer highs. For most people, that's pretty hot.

If you think you can get everyone to think of Antarctica instead of the Grand Canyon or cacti when you hear deserts then think again. Sometimes formal classifications do not add up to make sense in real life.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Antarctica counts as a desert because of precipitation levels only, and nothing else. And Antarctica doesn't get hogh precipitation levels, because it snows instead. If we counted snow as rainfall it wouldn't count at all.

AGAIN, there are COLD DESERT CLIMATES, and POLAR CLIMATES. A cold desert (like the Gobi) still gets in the 90s and triple digits for summer highs. For most people, that's pretty hot.

If you think you can get everyone to think of Antarctica instead of the Grand Canyon or cacti when you hear deserts then think again. Sometimes formal classifications do not add up to make sense in real life.
Dude, you lost. I proved you wrong--not all deserts are hot deserts, which is what you said. I don't care what people think of when they think of deserts. Facts are facts.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:01 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Dude, you lost. I proved you wrong--not all deserts are hot deserts, which is what you said. I don't care what people think of when they think of deserts. Facts are facts.
The poster is female, but yeah, she lost the argument. Doesn't even realize that precipitation includes snow (or that they calculate rainfall based on conversion from the snow that falls).

Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
A good chunk of Western Wyoming is desert and gets warm at best in the summer, and even a light jacket is needed in summer mornings there

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The poster is female, but yeah, she lost the argument. Doesn't even realize that precipitation includes snow (or that they calculate rainfall based on conversion from the snow that falls).
Some places in the Arctic circle in Siberia get averages of 85% humidity and more than 100" of snowfall each year but would count as a desert to this person because it's a "polar climate" which is apparently the exact same as a desert climate. *mind blown*

No one is going to think of Antarctica as a desert right away. What if I told you a hot dog is a sandwich? Do you forever on and tell everyone you know since a hot dog is classified as a sandwich, it must be thought of that way? Social implications of a word mean a lot more than what a definition is, as words are dynamic and change meanings all the time. We no longer speak Old English for a reason, languages change.

People aren't going to carry an encyclopedia everywhere and use that to decide what gets called what mate.

Phoenix and Tucson get about 10" of rain a year. They are barely considered a desert by precipitation levels but they are because of its local ecology and general landscape. By all technicalities it is a "subtropical desert climate". I don't see you saying the lower half of the state of Arizona doesn't count as a desert since all that matters is how much rain they get, and nothing else. Arizona and Nevada, in most of its land, are quintessential desert landscapes and scenery, NOT ANTARCTICA. THAT ISNT GOING TO CHANGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.