U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 07:04 PM

3,724 posts, read 577,486 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! Question in the topic. Is there tolerance?
Deleted. Per the TOS, English is the only language allowed at city-data.

Last edited by JMT; 06-17-2017 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 08:58 PM

25,027 posts, read 23,924,861 times
When I moved to a foreign country, I took classes and practiced with the natives. I asked them to correct me. They very happily did.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:39 AM

22 posts, read 10,966 times
there is everything..... there is hispanic that they worry to learn the language ,and others that they do not worry to learn English....

For example....
In spain ,the people does not know english (very few know english) ,and they travel others country and speak spanish....(or they expect that there is other people that speak in their language)
but here the problem is cultural ,how it is the second most spoken language ..but they believe that they do not need learn languages (it is also that they have it very believed)

Old 06-11-2017, 12:02 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
American universities have an English language proficiency exam, called TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language).

Here are some sample exam questions: TOEFL Sample

Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM

352 posts, read 291,579 times
I commiserate with them and I try to help them. I speak a number of languages, and I've had plenty of help.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 641,403 times
The United States of America is a nation that was settled and founded by British settlers. Throughout the course of American colonial history, the majority of settlers were British who had either migrated directly from Great Britain or via Ireland, Holland, Canada or the West Indies. After the United States gained independence from Great Britain in 1776, the a plurality of immigrants were from the British Isles, which includes English-speaking Ireland. That is the reason why we speak English in America.

While it is vital that immigrants from non-English-speaking countries develop a high level of proficiency in the English language, it is even more important for these immigrants to speak to their children in English and encourage them to do so, especially outside of the home, in order to accelerate the American acculturation process. The most integral component of assimilation in American society is speaking English, since for better or for worse, this is a predominately monolithic, multi-generational society.

Additionally, the level of proficiency in the English language is highly correlated with educational attainment and personal income in America. Essentially, the proficient you are in English, the more successful you and your children will be from academic and professional standpoints.

Personally, I commend immigrants who make a concerted effort to become fluent or, at the very least, proficient in English upon arrival in America. Six of my eight great-grandparents immigrated to America from Italy, and they all learned to speak English. They also Anglicized their Christian names, never spoke a word of Italian in public and shied away from teaching their children to speak Italian because, after all, the United States is an Anglo-Saxon society, not an Italian one.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM

74 posts, read 51,447 times
My grandparents came here from Spain and never made an attempt to learn English. My mother served as their translator. My grandfather outlived his wife, his cousin, and sister-in-law by many years, and died a very lonely man since there was no one else in the neighborhood who spoke Spanish.

Tio Manolo, on the other hand (his brother) learned English very well, lived in Ohio, and had a very full social life.

I think if you're going to live in another country, it's wise to learn the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or