U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 07:14 PM

3,704 posts, read 576,031 times

Advertisements

We have a Mormon church. There are four guys from the US and not just from Utah.
What is their purpose? I asked but they did not clarify the situation.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 PM

I have nothing against the Mormons. I respect them. Interesting question.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 PM

465 posts, read 430,117 times
They're most likely there to try and convert people to the Mormon faith.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
They're most likely there to try and convert people to the Mormon faith.
If I got 4+ wives I wold like to be Mormon
But one guy from Siettle, another from New Mexico
Not Marmon terriotory

Old 06-10-2017, 10:42 PM

17,656 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Not Marmon terriotory
they try to get other people to become Mormons.The LDS church has banned polygamy.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
The Mormon "church" is very wealthy and they have a very active missions program. Most Christians do not consider Mormons to be Christians. They have their own book in replace of the Bible called the Book of Mormon. Basically they believe that Christianity had failed so God brought a new prophet to Missouri and gave him a new book to replace the Bible.

I personally am an atheist and I don't consider Mormons to be Christian either. I consider them a cult and it's sad how brainwashed their believers are.

I throw Mormons and Jehovahs Witness in the cult category. Scientology is in there too, but they don't have any relation to Christianity.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:19 AM
sub

780 posts, read 405,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The Mormon "church" is very wealthy and they have a very active missions program. Most Christians do not consider Mormons to be Christians. They have their own book in replace of the Bible called the Book of Mormon. Basically they believe that Christianity had failed so God brought a new prophet to Missouri and gave him a new book to replace the Bible.

I personally am an atheist and I don't consider Mormons to be Christian either. I consider them a cult and it's sad how brainwashed their believers are.

I throw Mormons and Jehovahs Witness in the cult category. Scientology is in there too, but they don't have any relation to Christianity.
Actually, the Mormon church started in New York. In a nutshell, Missouri was just another failed attempt, a stopping point if you will, before they ultimately landed in Utah.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 AM
sub

780 posts, read 405,678 times
Quote:
Not Marmon terriotory
Mormons have members in every state and most countries throughout the world.
Anywhere in the western U.S. will especially have large numbers of them. Even outside of Utah, Mormons will generally be one of the larger religious groups out there.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:03 AM

21,955 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
They have their own book in replace of the Bible called the Book of Mormon. Basically they believe that Christianity had failed so God brought a new prophet to Missouri and gave him a new book to replace the Bible.
Good grief, you're ignorant. Mormons believe in the Bible every bit as much as any other Christians do. And Mormonism was not founded in Missouri.

Quote:
Cry for me, baby. And before you post any more myths about Mormonism, try using a reliable source.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 AM

21,955 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Quote:
We have a Mormon church. There are four guys from the US and not just from Utah.
I can't believe it. Somebody actually started a thread saying that there's an LDS Church and four Mormon missionaries in their town. This is not news, my friend. There are over 15 million Mormons in the world today, and over 6 million in the U.S. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the fourth largest Christian denomination in the country. The remainder (9 million) are found in various countries throughout the world. There are actually more Mormons living outside the US and Canada today than there are within those two countries.

Quote:
What is their purpose? I asked but they did not clarify the situation.
Mormon missionaries (64% are young men, 28% are young women, and 8% are seniors -- most retired couples). Nobody finances them. They (and their family and friends) finance their own missions, which are typically 24 months long for men and 18 months long for women. During that time, the young men and women may not date, go to movies, watch TV or do any of the other things they would typically be doing at home. They do not get to pick where they want to serve a mission. For this reason, you may find a young man from Idaho serving in Fiji or a young woman from Mongolia serving in Rio de Janeiro.

Their purpose is to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to bring people into the Church. One day a week, they also do nothing but service projects. Whatever someone needs, they are willing to do -- no strings attached. I realize that most people aren't thrilled to open their front door to see a couple of Mormon missionaries standing there, but trust me... they don't bite. They are actually instructed that they are not to get into heated arguments with people over religious doctrine. If you tell them you're not interested, they will almost certainly just wish you a good day and be on their way.

And why on earth is a thread about the LDS Church's presence somewhere other than in the U.S. (I haven't yet figured out where) on the "General U.S." forum at all?

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-11-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or