U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 PM
sub

780 posts, read 405,678 times

Advertisements

Maybe Detroit. It could be the least extreme.
Kansas City is probably among the warmest and sunniest of midwestern towns, but is also very extreme like most places on the Plains or borders them. Heat, cold, wind, violent storms, occasional tornados, sometimes nasty ones.
Milwaukee and Chicago aren't too bad. Temps moderated somewhat by the lake, and generally not a lot of real extreme weather events by midwestern standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:20 PM

5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Cincinnati, for sure. They tend to be out of the extreme winter belt, though still get significant snowfall on average, but also is not as hot in the summer than many midwestern locations, though certainly humid. Yes, Louisville would be in the same general climate area.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 762 times
Southern Illinois, it gets really hot in the summer and spring but the mild winters and little to no snow is amazing. I remember just a few hours north it was in the 40’s but down here it hit 75 in February. In fact this past February was really warm with highs ranging from the 50’s-70’s through the month.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Does Louisville count as the mid-west? If not Cincy.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Best weather is subjective, Marquette, MI has one of the nicest climates in the Midwest with no heat and humidity if one doesn't mind the snow. Nice location as well on Lake Superior. The Ohio Valley has a disgusting humid subtropical climate with absurd levels of heat, humidity, bad air quality, torrential downpours of rain, and flooding being common. It has one of the worst climates in the US in my opinion.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Does Louisville count as the mid-west? If not Cincy.
Louisville is never the Midwest and Cincy is not solidly in the Midwest region, however, not part of the South.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:16 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Louisville is never the Midwest and Cincy is not solidly in the Midwest region, however, not part of the South.
If Cincy isn't the mid-west or the south than where is it? Calling Louisville southern is kind of iffy to me.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
If Cincy isn't the mid-west or the south than where is it? Calling Louisville southern is kind of iffy to me.
Cincinnati is a river city first and foremost. It is in the Midwest, but certainly has significant influences from the South and Appalachia. Louisville is also a river city first and foremost. It is the furthest north southern city, but has some influences from the Midwest. Both cities have a disgusting humid sub-tropical climate with too much heat, humidity, bad air quality, flooding, etc. Four equally distributed seasons are found further north in the Midwest, generally north of the I-80 corridor.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,070,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Wichita,Kansas for me
You are the winner, Wichita is less than 100 miles from the Oklahoma border and considerably further south and west than Kansas City. Winds from the southwest keep Wichita very warm and nice by midwestern standards in the winter, many days in the 60's which makes me jealous of Wichita in the winter. The place is a hell hole in the summer, however, as it can reach 100 degrees for days or weeks at a time. I think the Springfield/Joplin MO area might be just a bit more tolerable than Wichita in summer, but as you go east from there into to southeastern MO, south Illinois and Indiana, they may not get as hot, but they get quite a bit more rain and cloudy days, and the weather systems can tend to stall out more there like when a nor-easter system comes around, with more gloomy days than the western plains states.

The great lakes region has the nicest summers, the lakes keep them a little cooler where a city like Milwaukee will average upper 70's, while Iowa will average mid 80's, and Kansas mid 90's.

Last edited by mofford; 03-03-2018 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,157,723 times
I would say that Cincy, KC, and Wichita are all good contenders. All are near the southern end of the midwest and get fairly regular warm ups/thaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or