U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,500 posts, read 1,351,181 times
Reputation: 1723

Advertisements

Detroit’s not really that cold though, and it’s much milder than Minneapolis in the winter. Detroit’s coldest winter high is 32 in January, 35 in February, and 36 in December. Snow doesn’t stay on the ground all winter, and rain is not uncommon throughout the winter. Last year there was barely any snow on the ground at all, with quite mild temperatures!
Detroit is also not that far north, its about the same latitude as Rome Italy and the Northern California border!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am surprised to see places like Detroit and Minneapolis listed, after all they are famous for thier snow and cold being as far north as they are. Marquette Michigan has been mentioned too, a truly beautiful place but cold and snowy is an understatement when discussing its climate. Still it has to be one of the most beautiful settings in the country, surrounded by wilderness and stunning Lake Superior frontage. One of my favorite places I have ever been....during summer lol.

Of course ďbest weatherĒ is highly dependent on what one is looking for. If mild summers and long cold snowy winters are your thing then the Upper Midwest is your paradise. If you hate cold the upper Midwest is a place you will find miserable.
Frankly, I feel "good Midwestern weather" to be an oxymoron. Who needs their hot summers and cold, cold winters? However, "best Midwestern weather" is a bit different. I'd pick northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin, taking in Chicago and Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,515 posts, read 7,456,802 times
Reputation: 10912
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Detroitís not really that cold though, and itís much milder than Minneapolis in the winter. Detroitís coldest winter high is 32 in January, 35 in February, and 36 in December. Snow doesnít stay on the ground all winter, and rain is not uncommon throughout the winter. Last year there was barely any snow on the ground at all, with quite mild temperatures!
Detroit is also not that far north, its about the same latitude as Rome Italy and the Northern California border!
Your post contains a fact lost on many people. The far northern USA....in this case Michigan is not really that far north compared to Europe. The USA is somewhat of a southerly nation. Where I live in Tennessee the latitude is the same as North Africa. North America has cold winters because it is a large continental mass which extends into the polar regions with a jet stream that steers cold air masses further south than in most parts of the world. That is why it is so hot here in summer followed by extreme cold in winter. Even the parts of Canada most people live in are not really that far north, Europeans would consider Torontoís latitude downright southerly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 04:17 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your post contains a fact lost on many people. The far northern USA....in this case Michigan is not really that far north compared to Europe. The USA is somewhat of a southerly nation. Where I live in Tennessee the latitude is the same as North Africa. North America has cold winters because it is a large continental mass which extends into the polar regions with a jet stream that steers cold air masses further south than in most parts of the world. That is why it is so hot here in summer followed by extreme cold in winter. Even the parts of Canada most people live in are not really that far north, Europeans would consider Toronto’s latitude downright southerly.
A good example of this point is to compare it two places I've been to- Tromso, Norway and Eagle River, Wisconsin.

Tromso, Norway at 69N latitude, moderated by Gulf Stream current.
Eagle River, WI, USA at 45.9N latitude, continental climate near Lake Superior.

Climate graphs are attached below. Check the difference between the record low temperatures in Eagle River compared to Tromso.
Attached Thumbnails
Midwestern city with best weather-eagle-river-wi-climate-graph.png   Midwestern city with best weather-tromso-norway-climate-graph.png  

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-10-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,515 posts, read 7,456,802 times
Reputation: 10912
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A good example of this point is to compare it two places I've been to- Tromso, Norway and Eagle River, Wisconsin.

Tromso, Norway at 69N latitude, moderated by Gulf Stream current.
Eagle River, WI, USA at 45.9N latitude, continental climate near Lake Superior.

Climate graphs are attached below. Check the difference between the record low temperatures in Eagle River compared to Tromso.
Cool graphs, Iím a bit of a nerd on stuff like that. When you think of how far north Norway is you canít help but be impressed on how livable the climate is. Really compared to North America your looking at Hudson Bay north complete with polar bears. We Americans see Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota as far north but they set on the 45 degrees of latitude.....only halfway north to the pole. Most places in the world at that latitude are not cold places. The summer in the upper Midwest can achieve some impressive high temps, and it does so frequently. This hints at the true southerly nature of the USA. Our terrible tornado history is a result of these dueling air masses in the eastern two thirds of North America. No place on earth has the tornado problem we do. Itís easy to argue that the USA has some of the craziest weather on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Frankly, I feel "good Midwestern weather" to be an oxymoron. Who needs their hot summers and cold, cold winters? However, "best Midwestern weather" is a bit different. I'd pick northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin, taking in Chicago and Milwaukee.
Hot summers? The Midwest averages 80s in the summer, with many places having average highs in the 70s. And CO gets just as cold as the Midwest, and many times snowier as well. I wont mention how late and early snow arrives in CO as well. Texans and Coloradans are a bizarre lot. You always brag about your weather, when in reality its the PITS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Hot summers? The Midwest averages 80s in the summer, with many places having average highs in the 70s. And CO gets just as cold as the Midwest, and many times snowier as well. I wont mention how late and early snow arrives in CO as well. Texans and Coloradans are a bizarre lot. You always brag about your weather, when in reality its the PITS!
LOL, "the Midwest". The Midwest covers a lot of territory, from the Canadian border to well south of I-70, from Ohio west to the state lines of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado.

Hottest average day in Minneapolis July 18: 83; coldest average high Jan. 22, 24 degrees
Move down to Des Moines: July 20, 86; Jan 21, 33 degrees
Champaign, IL July 19, 85; Jan. 29, 34
Omaha: 87; Jan 13, 34
Kansas City: July 21, 90; Jan. 6, 40
St. Louis:July 20, 89; Jan. 22, 41
Chicago: July 19, 83; Jan. 29, 33
Cleveland: July 19, 81; Jan. 29, 34
Detroit: July 19, 83; Jan. 29, 31


I would like to see some documentation of a place with highs in the 70s in July anywhere in the MW.
Upper midwestern states:
Bismark, ND: July 24, 85; Jan. 12, 23
Fargo, ND: July 24, 83; Jan. 15, 19
Pierre, SD:July 18, 90; Jan 2, 30
Rapid City, SD: July 27, 87; Jan. 1, 35

Well, I found one city with an average warmest high in the 70s in July-Mackinac Island, MI in way northern Michigan: July 25,76; Jan. 30, 25
Also International Falls, MN: July 24, 78, on the Canadian border; Jan. 15, 16
Bold = below freezing.
All figures from Weatherspark: https://weatherspark.com/y/3709/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Note we have much higher winter temps than these other cities.
Denver, July 10, 89; December 30, 44

In most of these midwestern cities, it is humid as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Reputation: 5855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
LOL, "the Midwest". The Midwest covers a lot of territory, from the Canadian border to well south of I-70, from Ohio west to the state lines of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado.

Hottest average day in Minneapolis July 18: 83; coldest average high Jan. 22, 24 degrees
Move down to Des Moines: July 20, 86; Jan 21, 33 degrees
Champaign, IL July 19, 85; Jan. 29, 34
Omaha: 87; Jan 13, 34
Kansas City: July 21, 90; Jan. 6, 40
St. Louis:July 20, 89; Jan. 22, 41
Chicago: July 19, 83; Jan. 29, 33
Cleveland: July 19, 81; Jan. 29, 34
Detroit: July 19, 83; Jan. 29, 31


I would like to see some documentation of a place with highs in the 70s in July anywhere in the MW.
Upper midwestern states:
Bismark, ND: July 24, 85; Jan. 12, 23
Fargo, ND: July 24, 83; Jan. 15, 19
Pierre, SD:July 18, 90; Jan 2, 30
Rapid City, SD: July 27, 87; Jan. 1, 35

Well, I found one city with an average warmest high in the 70s in July-Mackinac Island, MI in way northern Michigan: July 25,76; Jan. 30, 25
Also International Falls, MN: July 24, 78, on the Canadian border; Jan. 15, 16
Bold = below freezing.
All figures from Weatherspark: https://weatherspark.com/y/3709/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Note we have much higher winter temps than these other cities.
Denver, July 10, 89; December 30, 44

In most of these midwestern cities, it is humid as well.
Duluth's normal high Max's at like 76į
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Duluth's normal high Max's at like 76į
Actually, 78 on July 19.
https://weatherspark.com/y/11111/Ave...tes-Year-Round

By the time you get as far south as Brainerd, it's 82 on July 18.
https://weatherspark.com/y/9967/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Point being the vast majority of the midwest has weather of at least 80 degrees in the summer. By the time you get as far south as Branson, MO, it's 91 on July 21.
https://weatherspark.com/y/10234/Ave...tes-Year-Round
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, 78 on July 19.
https://weatherspark.com/y/11111/Ave...tes-Year-Round

By the time you get as far south as Brainerd, it's 82 on July 18.
https://weatherspark.com/y/9967/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Point being the vast majority of the midwest has weather of at least 80 degrees in the summer. By the time you get as far south as Branson, MO, it's 91 on July 21.
https://weatherspark.com/y/10234/Ave...tes-Year-Round
Branson is the South, definitely not the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top