Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Low precipitation? Good luck in the Midwest.

But for everything else I would suggest St. Louis or Cincinnati.
Cincinnati is milder than St. Louis in the summer without a doubt. Central OH has four very mild seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Cincinnati is milder than St. Louis in the summer without a doubt. Central OH has four very mild seasons.
Yeah that's true. Columbus to me seems like a good way to avoid extremes. Cincinnati to me seems like the summers are too Southern.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's true. Columbus to me seems like a good way to avoid extremes. Cincinnati to me seems like the summers are too Southern.
St. Louis has a large urban heat island with warmer low temperatures compared to Cincinnati. The elevation is higher in Cincinnati compared to St. Louis.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,079,288 times
The fact that people mentioned Chicago and Cleveland

Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,392,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
It's all subjective. I say the same about people that live in Phoenix, but there are plenty of people living there by their own choice. I don't mind the weather in Chicago. I just wish we got more snow here.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
It's all subjective. I say the same about people that live in Phoenix, but there are plenty of people living there by their own choice. I don't mind the weather in Chicago. I just wish we got more snow here.
Consistent winter snows in the Midwest, ya have to go up north. I'm headed up to Vilas county, WI this weekend, 18 inches of snowfall on the ground there.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,860,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post

I personally like Cleveland's weather and Chicago's is okay except for the heat waves.

I think that Detroit has a decent climate as well for that matter

To me, climate paradise is in the Snow Belt region I live in and climate hell is in the Sun Belt.

I don't think that there is a way to quantify "best"...it's all very subjective.

"Best" to me is 4-season, cloudy, snowy, short summers, and humid. "Best" to someone else might mean something entirely different. I am okay with that since this means that we aren't all crowding in to live in the same place

Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Michigan to me has the best Midwestern climate. Consistently cloudy, varying from super snowy to moderately snowy, and with mild summers. This is the ideal climate for myself in the Midwest.

Similarly I don't mind hot climates either but that's because I get more sun exposure and just feel more energized. But in terms of what I prefer in the Midwest, cloudy Michigan wins for myself.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Eh, I found Columbus to be incredibly muggy and warm/hot for what I'm used to (MSP, Chicago, Cleveland, etc.). It's like 85-90 with dewpoints in the upper-60's/low-70's for much of the core 3 months of summer.....seemingly. However, I was lucky enough to live in St. Louis for one year, and that year was 1988 -- the hottest summer on record (or recent history) -- so I'd prefer C-bus summers to STL summers based on what I've personally experienced. Cincy, although technically slightly cooler temp-wise than STL, may be harsher for somebody like me who doesn't tolerate moderate/high heat with high humidity as well. My GUESS is that Cincy is more humid than STL, but it's a completely blind guess. Both are quite hot......I wouldn't consider either's summer as moderate.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:41 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,705,996 times
I am surprised to see places like Detroit and Minneapolis listed, after all they are famous for thier snow and cold being as far north as they are. Marquette Michigan has been mentioned too, a truly beautiful place but cold and snowy is an understatement when discussing its climate. Still it has to be one of the most beautiful settings in the country, surrounded by wilderness and stunning Lake Superior frontage. One of my favorite places I have ever been....during summer lol.

Of course “best weather” is highly dependent on what one is looking for. If mild summers and long cold snowy winters are your thing then the Upper Midwest is your paradise. If you hate cold the upper Midwest is a place you will find miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.