U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:33 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Why would you consider Minneapolis/Nashville if you already live in Chicago??? That's a huge downgrade in amenities like biking and shopping, public transit and pretty much everything else.

No its not. A downgrade, but not huge. Plus, Minneapolis is ranked one of the most bike friendly cities, up there with the likes of Portland and Seattle. I see people on bikes up there all the time, people even get snow tires for bikes.

And they said they don't get much out of a big city like Chicago, and would prefer a smaller but still urban enough place. Minneapolis and Nashville are not one-horse towns. They have shopping, museums, restaurants and parks too. Plus, they're waaaay safer than Chicago is nowadays. Cheaper too.

Of course not everything is about "amenities." I've lived throughout Texas for a few years now, and every town I been is has been way smaller than my hometown (Miami) and I enjoy it more here than back home, even though there's less "amenities." The only thing I miss is the beach, but I much prefer life here than there. Its not about amenities only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:37 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
One thing I will add is this: It is difficult to go from a huge metro like Chicago to a smaller or even mid sized city. I mean, you know what a "city" is supposed to be, what it can be. Anything else...

I am a born and raised Chicagoan who now lives elsewhere. If Chicago could get its act together - crime, violence, budget, taxes - well, you know. We'd all move back I suspect.
It is tragic what happens in parts of Chicago, sections of both the South and West sides where poverty and crime reign. There is definitely a Chicago that is "left behind".

But that Chicago has little to do with the Chicago that is the global city that is one of the true urban gems of America. Take the Chicago of the booming, incredible downtown that has more residential construction going on within it than the downtown of any city. Add to that the vast majority of the city's North Side and throw in the areas both west and south of the downtown core that have been gentrified and you see a city so removed from that "other Chicago" that people don't even realize that other Chicago is there.

Chicago's much discussed murder rate is largely centered on a few neighborhoods where the bulk of murders take place. Does Chicago have the highest murder rate in the nation? not even close. What Chicago has is the largest number of murders due to the city's size and the fact that we do compare unfavorably with NYC or LA in this respect.

Now don't get me wrong....that unawareness of the plight of others itself is tragic and our sense of disconnect is appalling (as it is throughout our society), but the point I'm trying to make is this:

the huge area that is "global Chicago" functions very well and when you're in it, you know you're in a very successful and desirable place.

as far as the "budget, taxes" portion of Chicago getting its act together, the budget issue is not Chicago's but Illinois and Chicago does not control Illinois (although one could make a fairly compelling argument that Chicagoland does).

Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Chicago actually feels more like a big city to me than LA. LA is similar to Dallas or Houston in that it's just endless suburbs and expansion.
seriously? you consider today's LA to be "just endless suburbs and expansion" and similar to Dallas or Houston? LA is a city that is rapidly urbanizing, developing a first class rapid transit system, and is a "real" city in every sense of the word.

LA is every bit a peer city to other great American cities like NY, Chgo, SF, DC, Boston, etc.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:17 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,302,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
seriously? you consider today's LA to be "just endless suburbs and expansion" and similar to Dallas or Houston? LA is a city that is rapidly urbanizing, developing a first class rapid transit system, and is a "real" city in every sense of the word.

LA is every bit a peer city to other great American cities like NY, Chgo, SF, DC, Boston, etc.
I've only been to LA one time, and it was about 10 years ago. It definitely felt more urban than Dallas or Houston, but it still didn't have what I would consider a large city urban feel. It's too spread out for that. You can't just walk to a corner store or a corner restaurant in most neighborhoods.

I'd say that 80% of the city limits in Chicago feel very dense and urban. In LA, only the downtown area, and area surrounding downtown felt dense.

Here's what 80% of LA looked and felt like to me:

Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
Living near L.A. as I do, I love this city a lot, but I also ask myself the same question: What is a small town guy like me trying to do in such a massive city?

It's a paradox: I love the energy of L.A., but I pine for a simpler life with more serenity quite often. Being as rural-bred and politically quasi-conservative as I am, I will undoubtedly gravitate toward the simpler life with more serenity at some point in my future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or