U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,130,326 times

Advertisements

I lived in Coconino County, Arizona...it's the huge county in the north-central part of the state. I have a hard time considering it a frontier county, though, because it is home to Flagstaff, a city of approx. 60,000 and Northern Arizona University, the third largest of Arizona's public universities. The reason this county qualifies as "frontier", I suppose, is because it's the second largest county by land area in the USA and outside of Flagstaff there are only a few smaller towns and tourist areas like Sedona & the Grand Canyon, plus parts of the Navajo Indian Reservation.

Living in the "frontier", my life wasn't much different than it is now living in a metro area of well over 1 million. We had a house on a postage stamp lot in a typical suburban development, had multiple grocery stores, Wal Mart, Target, and other big box stores. There were many very good restaurants to choose from, a local symphony orchestra, and even visual and performing arts through the university. Heck, we even had a mall with most of the typical mid-range retailers in town, though if we wanted a higher end store we did have to drive to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM

5,481 posts, read 3,921,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I guess I've never lived in a "frontier county" but the places I've lived are near "frontier counties." I went to a frontier county once for High School Quiz Bowl. Small towns sometimes feel "bigger" as they may have to be "the town" for their county.
Thomas, I think you're right. I live in a frontier county, which has five fairly good-sized towns of 6,000-8,000 people, and then a whole bunch of really small towns and villages. So the bigger towns seem even bigger. There is no "run on"..........each one is surrounded by countryside.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:48 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,832,441 times
I still find it funny when brats from LA or OC consider Victorville to be a "small town".
Instead, I usually give them a reality check by describing my truck travels to places like Minneola, KS or Richfield, UT.

On that note, being a youngster myself(26), I never caught onto the trend of "hitting it big" in an oversized urban area.
Nice to visit, but I'll stick to places where life doesn't have a stuck throttle.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 AM

20,862 posts, read 35,992,597 times
I have family business dealings in the frontier county, but could never live there. I have admiration for those that can, though.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 AM

5,481 posts, read 3,921,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
On that note, being a youngster myself(26), I never caught onto the trend of "hitting it big" in an oversized urban area.
Nice to visit, but I'll stick to places where life doesn't have a stuck throttle.

"A stuck throttle"....hehe! Great line, bentstrider. I'll use that one, if you don't mind.

Granite Stater, it is difficult to be in a frontier county at times. No question. I think the rewards are great too
I think there is either something not quite right or very, very right with those of us who live in a frontier.........Not sure which.....lol

Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,187,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
"A stuck throttle"....hehe! Great line, bentstrider. I'll use that one, if you don't mind.

Granite Stater, it is difficult to be in a frontier county at times. No question. I think the rewards are great too
I think there is either something not quite right or very, very right with those of us who live in a frontier.........Not sure which.....lol
Aroostook County is an oddball "frontier" county though. It isn't so much that the population is small and widely spread out, but that the population is concentrated along a very narrow band on the Eastern edge. Living in Caribou/PI/Fort/Washburn, or up in the Valley you are no more isolated from other towns than I am now, here in Western Michigan. In fact I go longer distances here than I did living in Washburn between small towns.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:10 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Counties with population densities of less than .5 per square mile.

Carter County, Montana - Ekalaka is its town.
Garfield County, Montana - Jordan is its town and it was the site of the Montana Freeman stand-off.
Petroleum County, Montana - Winnett is its town.
Esmeralda County, Nevada - Goldfield seems to be its main town and it once had 20,000 people, but now has around 440.
Lincoln County, Nevada - Caliente is the main town by the looks of it, but unlike the above towns it's not the county seat. A hotel in Caliente was apparently used by the FLDS Fundamentalist Mormon sect.
Harding County, New Mexico - Roy is the largest town at about 300, but is not the county seat.
Kenedy County, Texas - In the Kingsville micropolitan area.
King County, Texas - Main town and county seat is Guthrie with about 200.
Loving County, Texas - Possibly the sparsest outside Alaska and the county's total population is 67.

Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area of Alaska seems to be the most sparsely populated state sub-division. Its largest towns are Galena and Fort Yukon which are in the 500-700 people range.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:02 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,832,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
l
It just rolled off my tongue anyway.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,013,499 times
So it looks like these states DO NOT have a "Frontier county:"

Connecticut
Delaware
Indiana
Iowa
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Ohio
Tennessee
Rhode Island
South Carolina

Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Looks like it.

Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Rhode Island - None of these states have counties even under the average US population density.

Iowa has a couple counties that are somewhat close to be sparse enough to be frontier. Adams and Ringgold have a density that is between 10 and 11 per sq. mile.

United States by County by State, and for Puerto Rico - GCT-PH1. Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density:**2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or