U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:11 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
OP is looking for warm weather though.

I'd look into Atlanta. There is a tech industry here and COL is not too bad yet. The city is getting more expensive but there are still many deals to be had, especially if renting and sharing with roommates. I have some friends who pay less than $500 a month in rent here.
Honestly that should not be the priority when you're on a shoe string budget without a college degree and immigrating from another country. Of course mild winters are nice but so is being able to eat.

May I ask where in Atlanta they live/how many roommates because that is significantly less than what my roommate and I pay to live in a safe but non-trendy area of Columbus, Ohio. Not doubting you at all, just genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,773,866 times
Not sure how the green card program works but I definitely wouldn't want to go to a non Medicaid expansion state if I'm making minimum wage.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 AM

3 posts, read 2,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Not sure how the green card program works but I definitely wouldn't want to go to a non Medicaid expansion state if I'm making minimum wage.
"In order to get Medicaid and CHIP coverage, qualified non-citizens (lawfully present immigrants such as many LPRs or green card holders) have a 5-year waiting period".
So Medicaid doesn't really matter right now.
Quote:
I'd look into Atlanta. There is a tech industry here and COL is not too bad yet. The city is getting more expensive but there are still many deals to be had, especially if renting and sharing with roommates. I have some friends who pay less than $500 a month in rent here.
Thanks. City is beautiful, rent is pretty reasonable and according to craiglist there are much more tech and blue-collar jobs than in Austin.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 AM

928 posts, read 1,402,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Honestly that should not be the priority when you're on a shoe string budget without a college degree and immigrating from another country. Of course mild winters are nice but so is being able to eat.

May I ask where in Atlanta they live/how many roommates because that is significantly less than what my roommate and I pay to live in a safe but non-trendy area of Columbus, Ohio. Not doubting you at all, just genuinely curious.
They don't live in a bad area, if that's what you're asking. Housing is pretty affordable here especially if you rent a house with multiple bedrooms. They have 2-3 other roommates.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 28,460 times
lucky you! the chance is very low to win green card lottery!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 PM

22,134 posts, read 23,648,900 times
A lot of these suggestions in regards to the south are pretty good except for not needing to have a car as mass transit options or ease of commuting via walking or bike is not often a strong suit of many southern cities.

Atlanta seems like a pretty reasonable choice, though you're going to have where you live and find work restricted to the parts that are easy to get to and from, though that's not too bad.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:54 PM

183 posts, read 163,624 times
Like some posters mentioned it is best to look at mid-sized cities in the South and if perhaps a few in the Midwest if you can deal with colder winters because those areas will have a lower COL than your Atlanta, Austin, Denver, Nashville, Portland, or Seattle type up and coming cities.

A few options to look at although not so about the Tech Openings of each area. Most of these areas have a significant enough international population and a lot of them house or are close to college campus meaning that they will be more diverse. Although these places aren't Millenial Meccas, they are steadily growing and have good enough social scenes without the high COL.

I would check out:
- Bowling Green, KY
- Chattanooga, TN
- Columbus, OH (winters are a little closer to KY than they are to NE OH)
- Greensboro, NC
- Huntsville, AL
- Louisville, KY
- Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
- Urbana/Champaign IL (same as Columbus the winters aren't going to be as bad as they are in Chicago or closer to the Great Lakes)

Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 15,834 times
Memphis, you can throw boxes at the airport for FedEx, then move up

Old 06-17-2017, 02:09 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of these suggestions in regards to the south are pretty good except for not needing to have a car as mass transit options or ease of commuting via walking or bike is not often a strong suit of many southern cities.
That's a bit of a stereotype in some instances and older mid-sized southern cities that haven't evolved into suburban sprawl have city cores that incorporate pedestrian/bike-friendly neighborhoods with fairly extensive bus transit coverage, so a car isn't as much a necessity as one might think. Then factor in other services like Uber/Lyft or car share companies such as ZipCar and it can (and does) make cities like Greensboro, Winston Salem, Durham, Columbia SC and others viable alternatives for those who can see past the "necessity" of looking in only much more urban locations.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:05 PM

120 posts, read 52,701 times
In most warm weather cities you are going to need a car or deal with slow public transportation. These cities boomed during the automobile revolution.
Another good option is Houston,
Houston is full of immigrants and there is a huge Russian community.

Russian Community
United Russian American Association
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...fter-15-years/
http://www.ourtx.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.