Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 08:09 PM

707 posts, read 740,878 times

Advertisements

El Paso and Tucson? ABQ is cheap but gets a bit too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:10 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,858,432 times
Atlanta is your best bet or Houston TX

Old 06-17-2017, 08:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Like some posters mentioned it is best to look at mid-sized cities in the South and if perhaps a few in the Midwest if you can deal with colder winters because those areas will have a lower COL than your Atlanta, Austin, Denver, Nashville, Portland, or Seattle type up and coming cities.

A few options to look at although not so about the Tech Openings of each area. Most of these areas have a significant enough international population and a lot of them house or are close to college campus meaning that they will be more diverse. Although these places aren't Millenial Meccas, they are steadily growing and have good enough social scenes without the high COL.

I would check out:
- Bowling Green, KY
- Chattanooga, TN
- Columbus, OH (winters are a little closer to KY than they are to NE OH)
- Greensboro, NC
- Huntsville, AL
- Louisville, KY
- Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
- Urbana/Champaign IL (same as Columbus the winters aren't going to be as bad as they are in Chicago or closer to the Great Lakes)
Greenville and Huntville have tons of young people who would prefer to live in them than larger cities.

I wouldn't describe the rents in Greenville and Huntsville as low.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,408,450 times
There are very few cities with a low cost of living that have decent public transportation. If you're open to owning a bike and using Uber/Lyft for longer trips, that opens a few more options. All of the cities below have either Uber or Lyft, and a cost of living that's not too high. I'm not sure about your tech job options in them though.

Barstow, CA

Redding, CA

Palmdale, CA (has commuter trains that'll take you to Los Angeles, where there may be more tech jobs.)

Abilene, TX

Waco, TX

If you can afford it: Vancouver, WA (hear they've got a HUGE Russian community. Also, Washington has no income tax while nearby Oregon has no sales tax.)

Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Dallas, Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:22 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,858,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Dallas, Atlanta or Charlotte.
Those are all good cities to live in, good choices for living modestly.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Greenville and Huntville have tons of young people who would prefer to live in them than larger cities.

I wouldn't describe the rents in Greenville and Huntsville as low.

What? I'm on Zillow right now and there's houses for rent in Huntsville for the price you pay for a studio in the average medium sized US city.... How is the rent in Huntsville not low?

Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Those are all good cities to live in, good choices for living modestly.

I think most of the South besides South Florida and most of the Midwest is fantastic to live on a budget. I'm so glad I grew out of my fascination with wanting to live in California when I was 13 lol.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
There are very few cities with a low cost of living that have decent public transportation. If you're open to owning a bike and using Uber/Lyft for longer trips, that opens a few more options. All of the cities below have either Uber or Lyft, and a cost of living that's not too high. I'm not sure about your tech job options in them though.

Barstow, CA

Redding, CA

Palmdale, CA (has commuter trains that'll take you to Los Angeles, where there may be more tech jobs.)

Abilene, TX

Waco, TX

If you can afford it: Vancouver, WA (hear they've got a HUGE Russian community. Also, Washington has no income tax while nearby Oregon has no sales tax.)

I lived in Abilene and its a wonderful place. Affordable, family friendly, less humid than most of Texas, surprisingly scenic for its location. But like you said, idk about tech jobs.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But that's the American way! "Hey everybody, let's all pile into _______(insert Austin, Seattle, Portland, Denver) and drive up housing costs and job competition". Meanwhile oodles of other mid-sized cities lacking the panache go unnoticed and maintain affordable living costs along with decent job opportunity. In retrospect I suppose oh never mind, let the lemmings continue on their own paths while those with some forethought and individuality succeed on their own terms.
These other cities need businesses that have jobs. That would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.