U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 497 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired military and will have two elementary school aged children once we move from New Mexico. I've been reading the blogs and everyone's input and it's very helpful. I'm looking to move to an area that is diverse. What I mean by that, is culturally/ethnically blended. Can anyone give any insight on that? I'm also wanting to know about schools for my kids. Not private, but good public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM

17,666 posts, read 4,062,179 times
Whats your budget for housing?Greater Houston is very diverse.There are suburbs there that have good public schools.The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Metroplex could work also.Thanks so much for yalls service.Yall are my heroes.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 AM

1,829 posts, read 1,250,388 times
Any of the largest 10 to 20 metros will probably be a good fit if you're just interested in some good schools and racial and ethnic diversity.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Any of the largest 10 to 20 metros will probably be a good fit if you're just interested in some good schools and racial and ethnic diversity.
Or college towns......

OP, what else are you looking for in a place to live in? What about weather? Veterans based facilities/programs? Walkability? Affordability/budget?

Perhaps check out best places lists from Military Times and other publications for more ideas/help as well.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet2016 View Post
My husband and I are retired military and will have two elementary school aged children once we move from New Mexico. I've been reading the blogs and everyone's input and it's very helpful. I'm looking to move to an area that is diverse. What I mean by that, is culturally/ethnically blended. Can anyone give any insight on that? I'm also wanting to know about schools for my kids. Not private, but good public schools.
Check out the Johns Creek-Alpharetta suburbs NE of Atlanta. It's a beautiful area with a booming job economy and has excellent public schools along with the diversity you're looking for with a population mix of 63.5 percent White, 23.4 percent Asian, 9.2 percent African American, 5.2 percent Hispanic or Latino, 1.4 percent from other races and 2.4 percent from two or more races.

https://www.johnscreekga.gov/live-work-play
Alpharetta, Georgia
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/c...ek/search.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/c...ta/search.aspx

Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 PM

18 posts, read 12,631 times
So many different places can fit what you're looking for. Do you want to stay out west or go elsewhere in the country? How much do you want to spend for a home?

Without that info I'll just assume that you want to stay out west and in that case I'll recommend San Diego which is my home town.

It's more family friendly than Los Angeles and much more down to earth than Orange County or the Bay Area, it's an area with a lot of military families but not centered on the military.. The weather is perfect, and there is a nice mix of people a large Mexican population is a given due to it's population on the border but there are also quite a few people from the Phillipines and one of the largest Arab American populations in America. There are really great city schools in the northern half of the city, and most of the northern and eastern suburbs are great places for families with some of the best schools in CA, with the northern suburbs being more upper class and the eastern suburbs being more middle class.

Without knowing more about what you want it will take too long to go over neighborhoods.

If CA isn't your thing for whatever reason, then I've got some other cities in mind too like Denver, Portland, Austin or Phoenix. Those are some places that I'm looking at relocating to.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsafa View Post
So many different places can fit what you're looking for. Do you want to stay out west or go elsewhere in the country? How much do you want to spend for a home?

Without that info I'll just assume that you want to stay out west and in that case I'll recommend San Diego which is my home town.

It's more family friendly than Los Angeles and much more down to earth than Orange County or the Bay Area, it's an area with a lot of military families but not centered on the military.. The weather is perfect, and there is a nice mix of people a large Mexican population is a given due to it's population on the border but there are also quite a few people from the Phillipines and one of the largest Arab American populations in America. There are really great city schools in the northern half of the city, and most of the northern and eastern suburbs are great places for families with some of the best schools in CA, with the northern suburbs being more upper class and the eastern suburbs being more middle class.

Without knowing more about what you want it will take too long to go over neighborhoods.

If CA isn't your thing for whatever reason, then I've got some other cities in mind too like Denver, Portland, Austin or Phoenix. Those are some places that I'm looking at relocating to.
Austin aint really diverse.Its the whitest major city in Texas.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:39 PM

706 posts, read 513,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Metroplex could work also.
I was going to suggest this also.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I was going to suggest this also.
Okay kool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.