U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM

352 posts, read 291,210 times

Advertisements

We're about done with Colorado. It's a long boring story, but I have a specific need. We're both in our 50s and getting more light sensitive, so we'd like a better mix of sun and clouds. My wife and daughter really like the South: Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia except for the madhouse that is Atlanta (no offense, but the traffic in Atlanta is too much for me at this point in my life).

Can you think of an urban area that has say, 150 sunny days a year? That'd be a nice break from the baking sun out west.

Thanks!

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Seattle and Portland. If not there then probably the Midwest.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM

17,656 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Maybe Seattle,OP.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:59 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
We're about done with Colorado. It's a long boring story, but I have a specific need. We're both in our 50s and getting more light sensitive, so we'd like a better mix of sun and clouds. My wife and daughter really like the South: Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia except for the madhouse that is Atlanta (no offense, but the traffic in Atlanta is too much for me at this point in my life).

Can you think of an urban area that has say, 150 sunny days a year? That'd be a nice break from the baking sun out west.

Thanks!

JB
Denver has 115 clear sunny days so apparently it's too cloudy for your specifications.

These are cities that have less than 100 clear sunny days.

Buffalo: 54
Seattle: 58
Pittsburgh: 59
Rochester: 61
Cleveland: 66
Portland: 68
Columbus: 72
Miami: 74
Detroit: 75
Cincinnati: 81
Harford: 82
Chicago: 84
Indianapolis: 88
Houston: 90
Milwaukee: 90
Louisville: 93
Philadelphia: 93
Jacksonville: 94
Minneapolis: 95
Washington: 96
Providence: 98
Boston: 98
Birmingham: 99

Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 PM

352 posts, read 291,210 times
Thanks, but there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I've lived in California and Israel. Denver is as brutally sunny as either of those. A "cloudy" day in Colorado is a sunny day most other places, and the intensity of the sun here is astonishing.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:43 PM

78,539 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:

Thanks!

JB
The greater Seattle area (watch out for rush hour traffic in Seattle, though! ), Olympia, WA, Bellingham, WA. Bellingham may be too much of a good thing for you, though, OP; it's the rainiest area of all. Are you retired, or in health care or teaching? If so, you could consider Port Townsend, a small town on the Olympic Peninsula that's in the rain shadow of the mountains; it gets clouds, but less rain than elsewhere in the area. Some people like Vancouver, WA, across the river from Portland. And btw, WA has no state income tax, no state cap. gains tax.

Are you looking for city, small town, or someplace in-between?

Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
Quote:
Thanks, but there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I've lived in California and Israel. Denver is as brutally sunny as either of those. A "cloudy" day in Colorado is a sunny day most other places, and the intensity of the sun here is astonishing.
You're absolutely right. CO is blazingly sunny much of the year. Nobody can "statistic" their way out of reality and the truth, though they try very hard. Summer is especially intense, with strong sunlight, high heat, and severe dryness, so I know what you are talking about.

The PNW (OR, WA, etc.) is widely known for lower levels of sunlight through much of the year. That might be a good start. There is probably a good online graphic/map of the US with average values. That should be helpful if you can find it.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 PM

5,409 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Avoid being near water or in high altitude or snow. That'll narrow your list.

So, sea level, not much full sun or "cloudy bright". Umm, western WA, western OR, coastal northern CA, southeastern AK (Ketchikan and Juneau are graaaaayyyyy and wet)...yup, the Pacific NW fits.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 PM

5,182 posts, read 3,712,832 times
Most of the areas you mentioned are blazing hot! Is that what you like?

I agree about Denver and the Sun, it was like living under a laser beam in the sky! Driving without quality sun glasses there is downright dangerous.

Here's a curve ball, check out Asheville, NC.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 PM

1,258 posts, read 697,703 times
The PNW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or