U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,249,305 times

Advertisements

Basing on my group of friends, which lean heavily Korean and is roughly half male and half female, the pressure is much greater on guys to marry "within the ethnicity." There is a lot of pressure from family on women too, but it isn't as much because of traditions (mainly cultural "compatibility" between spouse and inlaws, surnames, and the sons being expected to take care of parents in their old age). Of course, marriage is different from dating. I know people who date and do 'things' with whomever, or at least regardless of race, but are really hesitant to actually marry someone from a different racial/ethnic group.

Generally, I don't fall for the "desexualized Asian men" reasoning, at least as an actual factor (yes it happens in some media but it doesn't seem to impact RL). I would say that being Korean has actually helped me to attract non-Asian interests, not hurt, something a number of my friends and acquaintances, male and female, have agreed with. The whole excuse sounds like a small group of people being unable to find girlfriends and blaming society instead of themselves. Maybe it is true in some parts of the country, but I never encountered or noticed it, aside from hearing some guys complain about it.

Anecdotal as it is, I have somewhat similar experience. It seems in the older group, pairs are much more lopsided to white male relationships. I work part time retail at an "Asian" store in DFW and see plenty of mixed relationships. The majority are white male but nearly half appear white female. Of course, it is possible that White female Asian male couples are more likely, for whatever reason, to visit Asian stores or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 874,086 times
Meh, I see plenty of Asian Male - White Female couples in Central LA. There are still probably more Asian Female - White Male couples I see, but it's no where near 10 to 1. Maybe 2 to 1. Most of those Asian males are Asian Americans. I will agree with you that immigrant males are at a big dating disadvantage (outside of European or Latin American), whereas men are more open to dating immigrants.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
Though exact statistics is not available, among white-asian couples, it seems that at least more than 90% of them are white men asian female.
In my life, I have never known any couple which are asian men white female.
It's even more unbalanced when the asian is the first generation of immigrant.

Among the couples white - first generation asian immigrant, there's even higher ratio for wmaf.

Why are amwf so ridiculously few?

Any answer including those which is not politically correct is appreciated.
It depends on what kind of Asian, to some extent. Many Tibetan men marry Caucasian women. If you have a Tibetan community near you, you can see this. Some Mongol men also marry Caucasian women, it's not a big deal. But I've also come across East Asian male/white female couples, too. Maybe the belief that those are rare is a stereotype that needs to die. It's the 21st Century, people!

Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyandhisrails View Post
Haven't lived in So Cal since 2006, has it changed that much in a decade?

From what I remember, seeing a Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Arabian, or any sort of non-black minority group with a white female in the area was unheard of and quite rare. I know it wasn't for a lack of trying, knew quite a few Persian and Arab guys who tried to pick up blonde girls but failed miserably despite being rich.

Black guys with white girls was very common back then, So Cal blondes from what I remember only dated white guys and black guys and automatically dismissed men of all other races.
Even in 2006 there was a lot of interracial dating in LA. I lived there in 2013 and saw the whole spectrum. Asian female-white male, black male-white female, Hispanic female-white male, Hispanic male-White female, black female-white male, Hispanic male-asian female, Hispanic male-black female. And yes, even Asian male, black female. I think the only combination I didn't see was Asian male/Hispanic female

Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,409,482 times
When I lived in the Bay Area, white male/Asian female couples were everywhere, and I knew white guys and Asian girls who only dated each other exclusively.
But when you look at the marriage statistics, there are still many Asian male/white female couples, just a little less than half of the reverse, and Asian men marry white women at only 6% less nowadays than Asian women marrying white men. So it's really not as lopsided as it appears (at least not when it comes to marriage).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interr...eau_statistics

Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,325,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
Why most white-asian couples are white men asian female?
Same reason for any other similar disparity: there's more mutual attraction in one pairing combination than the other.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 AM

25 posts, read 28,409 times
Quote:
Here is the politically incorrect but right answer to this.

I have found that over the years in the US, there is a double standard when it comes to interracial relationships and this is especially true among younger interracial couples (as high school and college are all about social perception for the most part).

The double standard is that white guys can date Latina, Asian, and women from non-black minority groups and it is not that big of a deal. It is socially acceptable, in some cases encouraged, and of course Hollywood/the media have almost exclusively shown white men as the prize while not being so kind to men of minority groups. After all, it has been happening in the US way before interracial marriages became legal.

That is why you can show white guys with women of color and no one cares but you show a beautiful white woman with a minority (god forbid if she is a blonde), everyone from angry white men to women of color go crazy. Lately it has become more acceptable to show black men with white women in media but the same isn't true for men of other minority groups.

Now a part of this also has to do with the foreign cultures such as Asian and Hispanic cultures valuing whiteness.

On the other hand, it is generally not socially acceptable for a white woman (especially if she is young and attractive) to date interracial with a guy from a non-black minority group (Latinos that look ethnically white like Raul Esparza do not count here). Often she is seeing as "dating down" and you will notice that her friends will tend to give her flak for "dating that Mexican" or "liking guys with small packages".

We are all very likely to follow social trends and want to fit in, this is especially true for attractive women. I noticed this in my time in Tempe, Arizona where I went to college; it was very common for white guys to date young attractive latina women but white women with Hispanic men was very rare unless she was hideous looking. It was major social taboo for a blonde woman to date a "Mexican" and hence very rare in Tempe and just Arizona in general, unless the latino looked ethnically white.

There are exceptions to this rule though.

1. Black guys often succeed with white women because black culture is seen as "cool" and no one wants to be seen as racist towards black people in today's society, the same racism standard does not apply to being racist towards an Asian or Hispanic guy though. This is why you see black men with attractive white women more so than men of any other minority group in the US.

2. A guy from a non-black minority group CAN date attractive white women if he is a quality guy on paper. One of my friends is an Asian guy that is 6'2, ripped, makes around 200k a year, and charismatic; the last 4 women he has dated were tall, blonde, and very beautiful. I also have Arabian, Indian, and Hispanic friends who are taller than 5'10, in great shape, charismatic, culturally assimilated, and make good money; they all date attractive white women.

And this has slowly been changing.

It used to be unheard of for me to see white women with anything other than black or white men, even when I was in Arizona. Lately I am seeing more and more decent looking white women with men of non-black minority groups, it isn't common and I doubt it is common anywhere in the US but it does happen. In NYC I am seeing more and more younger attractive white women with Asian, Hispanic, and even Indian/Arabian men; it happens.
The best answer I have seen. Yes, it must have something to do with the culture. The word "racial discrimination" seems only apply to black.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
In general, studies have shown that men of all races are more open to interracial dating than women, which fits with the general "men are less picky" trope.

In addition, studies done through dating profiles on OKCupid and the like (seriously, they have a good data analytics department) have shown that those who are least desired for interracial dating are black women and Asian men.

The bottom line is that I expect there aren't as many white woman/Asian man couples because most white women don't want to date Asian men, not because most Asian men don't want to date white women.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
I'm Asian. I've dated plenty of white women.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Haven't lived in So Cal since 2006, has it changed that much in a decade?

From what I remember, seeing a Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Arabian, or any sort of non-black minority group with a white female in the area was unheard of and quite rare. I know it wasn't for a lack of trying, knew quite a few Persian and Arab guys who tried to pick up blonde girls but failed miserably despite being rich.

Black guys with white girls was very common back then, So Cal blondes from what I remember only dated white guys and black guys and automatically dismissed men of all other races.
In SoCal? Are you sure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or