U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM

25 posts, read 28,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In general, studies have shown that men of all races are more open to interracial dating than women, which fits with the general "men are less picky" trope.

In addition, studies done through dating profiles on OKCupid and the like (seriously, they have a good data analytics department) have shown that those who are least desired for interracial dating are black women and Asian men.

The bottom line is that I expect there aren't as many white woman/Asian man couples because most white women don't want to date Asian men, not because most Asian men don't want to date white women.
Yes, what you mentioned is a fact but not a reason. There must be some cultural/psychological/social/physical reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
They usually go to elite universities. V andy and Duke both students and facility had a lot of white males with asian GF or wives.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM

12,415 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
Yes, what you mentioned is a fact but not a reason. There must be some cultural/psychological/social/physical reason.
Of course. I believe a lot of it has to do with the average Asian man not fitting the traditional western stereotypes of masculinity. There are of course some 6 foot plus buff Asian men who have swagger and confidence. But on the whole Asian men tend to be stereotyped as short, skinny, nerdy, socially awkward, etc. Some women like nerdy guys of course (otherwise I would have never gotten anywhere myself) but enough do not that a fair amount of Asian guys will get written off.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:29 PM

78,562 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Of course. I believe a lot of it has to do with the average Asian man not fitting the traditional western stereotypes of masculinity. There are of course some 6 foot plus buff Asian men who have swagger and confidence. But on the whole Asian men tend to be stereotyped as short, skinny, nerdy, socially awkward, etc. Some women like nerdy guys of course (otherwise I would have never gotten anywhere myself) but enough do not that a fair amount of Asian guys will get written off.
Asian guys, nerdy? I haven't known any like that. Why are they viewed as nerdy; do people think they all go into computer tech? A LOT of Asian guys go into business (I'm surprised that's not the dominant stereotype), and aside from that they run the usual gamut of professions; medicine, law, politics and foreign service, academia, the arts, architecture, etc.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:14 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,631,003 times
Perhaps a statistical bubble from the US military bases from the 1940s to the 90s when better conditions in Korea, the Philippines bases being closed and the last Southeast Asians from the Vietnam era marrying Americans. Today the numbers are leveling out

Last edited by Taiko; 06-16-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 02:40 PM

12,415 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Perhaps a statistical bubble from the US military basis from the 1940s to the 90s when better conditions in Korea, the Philippines bases being closed and the last Southeast Asians from the Vietnam era marrying Americans. Today the numbers are leveling out
According to a Pew study out this year, 29% of Asian newlyweds are in interracial marriages. For Asian women, it's 36%, for Asian men, only 21%. The gap is a bit smaller than between black men/women (black men are twice as likely to have interracial marriages) but whites and Latinos show basically no gender gap. Looking at only White/Asian newlywed couples (15% of all interracial marriages) 11% are White man/Asian woman, and only 4% are Asian man/White woman. This ratio is worse than for all intermarriages, suggesting a fair amount of Asian men are entering interracial marriages with other nonwhite groups.

Asian intermarriage rates have gone down slightly since 1980, however, while all other groups have gone up. A lot of this might have to do with different groups of Asians migrating to the U.S. now. South Asians are a lot less likely to intermarry than East Asians, for example. Though part of it just might be be because Asians have a lot more Asian partners to choose from as well.

Note that American-born Asians are far more likely to intermarry if they are U.S. born than immigrants. Among immigrants, 15% of men and 31% of women intermarry, but among the U.S. born, it's 38% of men and 54% of women. The gender gap seems to be smaller among the U.S. born - perhaps Asian-American men fit in better socially in the U.S. and have less issue attracting mates?

Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

25 posts, read 28,409 times
Quote:
According to a Pew study out this year, 29% of Asian newlyweds are in interracial marriages. For Asian women, it's 36%, for Asian men, only 21%. The gap is a bit smaller than between black men/women (black men are twice as likely to have interracial marriages) but whites and Latinos show basically no gender gap. Looking at only White/Asian newlywed couples (15% of all interracial marriages) 11% are White man/Asian woman, and only 4% are Asian man/White woman. This ratio is worse than for all intermarriages, suggesting a fair amount of Asian men are entering interracial marriages with other nonwhite groups.

Asian intermarriage rates have gone down slightly since 1980, however, while all other groups have gone up. A lot of this might have to do with different groups of Asians migrating to the U.S. now. South Asians are a lot less likely to intermarry than East Asians, for example. Though part of it just might be be because Asians have a lot more Asian partners to choose from as well.

Note that American-born Asians are far more likely to intermarry if they are U.S. born than immigrants. Among immigrants, 15% of men and 31% of women intermarry, but among the U.S. born, it's 38% of men and 54% of women. The gender gap seems to be smaller among the U.S. born - perhaps Asian-American men fit in better socially in the U.S. and have less issue attracting mates?
This is what I anticipated: the gender gap between Asian-white interracial marriage is the worst.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM

988 posts, read 593,270 times
Quote:

A lot of it is taste, as well. I know a lot of people who just aren't attracted to Asian males. Not saying that's fair. Whereas I don't know too many guys that don't love the look of Asian women. This is all anecdotal, and there are exceptions of course. But it's what I observed.

For example, I am white and my wife is Filipino. Our mixed daughter much prefers the look of white, black or Latino boys and said she'd date a half-Asian but not a full Asian boy - not because she has an issue with their culture/race, she just isn't attracted to that look. She said most of her friends are the same way in her very diverse high school. This stemmed from a social/cultural talk we were having about a lot of things.

I was disappointed by this, but everyone has a type, and the stats prove that Asian women are more sought after outside their race than Asian men are.

We all have types we prefer, and plenty of people like Asian men, just not as many.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
It seems in the US Asian men are often unfairly stereotyped.

"There are some social stereotypes at play that unfortunately a lot of Asian men internalize ... meek, quiet, unattractive, sexually undesirable, that kind of thing". This does seem to be slowly changing though.

'Asian Playboy' Teaches Asian Men to Get Over Racial Stereotypes, Build Confidence - ABC News

Old 06-16-2017, 04:43 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I guess it's true what they say about people from Florida....
That we have long dangly peninsulas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or