U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
White men usually have a creepy Asian fetish.

Those aren't the ones dating Asian women, those are the ones in their mom's basement downloading copious amounts of hentai.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyandhisrails View Post
Here is the politically incorrect but right answer to this.

I have found that over the years in the US, there is a double standard when it comes to interracial relationships and this is especially true among younger interracial couples (as high school and college are all about social perception for the most part).

The double standard is that white guys can date Latina, Asian, and women from non-black minority groups and it is not that big of a deal. It is socially acceptable, in some cases encouraged, and of course Hollywood/the media have almost exclusively shown white men as the prize while not being so kind to men of minority groups. After all, it has been happening in the US way before interracial marriages became legal.

That is why you can show white guys with women of color and no one cares but you show a beautiful white woman with a minority (god forbid if she is a blonde), everyone from angry white men to women of color go crazy. Lately it has become more acceptable to show black men with white women in media but the same isn't true for men of other minority groups.

Now a part of this also has to do with the foreign cultures such as Asian and Hispanic cultures valuing whiteness.

On the other hand, it is generally not socially acceptable for a white woman (especially if she is young and attractive) to date interracial with a guy from a non-black minority group (Latinos that look ethnically white like Raul Esparza do not count here). Often she is seeing as "dating down" and you will notice that her friends will tend to give her flak for "dating that Mexican" or "liking guys with small packages".

We are all very likely to follow social trends and want to fit in, this is especially true for attractive women. I noticed this in my time in Tempe, Arizona where I went to college; it was very common for white guys to date young attractive latina women but white women with Hispanic men was very rare unless she was hideous looking. It was major social taboo for a blonde woman to date a "Mexican" and hence very rare in Tempe and just Arizona in general, unless the latino looked ethnically white.

There are exceptions to this rule though.

1. Black guys often succeed with white women because black culture is seen as "cool" and no one wants to be seen as racist towards black people in today's society, the same racism standard does not apply to being racist towards an Asian or Hispanic guy though. This is why you see black men with attractive white women more so than men of any other minority group in the US.

2. A guy from a non-black minority group CAN date attractive white women if he is a quality guy on paper. One of my friends is an Asian guy that is 6'2, ripped, makes around 200k a year, and charismatic; the last 4 women he has dated were tall, blonde, and very beautiful. I also have Arabian, Indian, and Hispanic friends who are taller than 5'10, in great shape, charismatic, culturally assimilated, and make good money; they all date attractive white women.

And this has slowly been changing.

It used to be unheard of for me to see white women with anything other than black or white men, even when I was in Arizona. Lately I am seeing more and more decent looking white women with men of non-black minority groups, it isn't common and I doubt it is common anywhere in the US but it does happen. In NYC I am seeing more and more younger attractive white women with Asian, Hispanic, and even Indian/Arabian men; it happens.
You mean is white, not looks white. Many Latinos are white, they don't look white they are white. Europeans, especially the Spanish, immigrated in large numbers to Latin America. You know, it was white people who stole Mexico from the Mayans. I get told I "look white" and its annoying and ignorant. (I'm Cuban) I don't look white, I am white, cuz my white ass ancestors came from white ass Europe.

Also, here in Texas I see non-white Hispanics (mostly Mexican) dating white and black people, all the time, of any race. There's zero stigma here. Hell, two of my co-workers who have some strong country accents btw, are blue eyed non-Hispanic white women who married Hispanic men and have Spanish surnames. One of them looks to be in her 60s, showing its not just a young generational thing. Maybe things are different in Arizona, but Mexican/Anglo relationships are super common and normal in Texas. Shoot, almost every white person I know here has a partially Mexican cousin lol.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:03 PM

18,911 posts, read 6,844,411 times
I dated a girl who was half Asian. Her DAD was Japanese, and her mom was white.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,761,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
White men usually have a creepy Asian fetish.
Guess you've never been to Japan or Hong Kong.. there are plenty of Asian men with a fetish for white women..

Old 06-16-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyandhisrails View Post
I have noticed something strange overall, it seems like wherever there is a huge Asian population, it is rare to see an attractive white woman with an Asian guy and there is this massive taboo associated with dating Asian men. Which is why I don't think it is about attraction as much as it is social perception.

When I lived in California, it was a pretty big deal if an "American" woman (blonde, beautiful, etc.) dated or married an Asian guy or just about any minority group except for black.

As soon as I moved to Florida I was seeing Sara Jean Underwood lookalikes with handsome guys of all races, even Asians and Indians. Granted these guys were handsome and had a lot going for them but these same guys would have never been able to get with that kind of a woman in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

For reasons I cannot explain, it seems like I see a lot more Asian, Hispanic, Indian, and Middle Eastern guys dating attractive white women in flyover country and southern states while in a place like California or the northeast; it is unheard of.

When I was in Texas I saw so many Hispanic and Asian men with white women that it never registered as an issue to the people there but in California, people would stop and stare at such a couple and make uncomfortable comments letting them know they were rare.

I don't know why it is but I have just observed that it seems to be quite rare for me to see a non-black minority with a good looking white woman in coastal liberal areas like a Los Angeles for example. Just wonder why this sort of thing is more common in the so called "racist" south and "flyover country".

Could it just be that Hollywood and liberal run media have a very strong influence on women, especially white women, native to places like California and NYC that they auto-reject even the finest men of "undesirable races"?
Warning: somewhat politically incorrect answer ahead.

You can't completely blame the women.. the guys are at fault too. Asian guys have their preferences, just like men of all races and most probably prefer their own kind to those of other races. When they're surrounded by attractive Asian women everywhere like in California or the East Coast, they'll usually go for their own kind. But if their options are limited like in a rural area or in the Midwest or South, they'll go for whom they can get. Simple as that.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM

I think its got mostly to do with stereotypes, honestly. Sad, but true. Asian men are stereotyped as having small packages, and considering actual scientific data regarding penis size, there is some truth to that, but we live in a shallow society.

But there's also the stereotype that Asian men are "less masculine." Unless they're in martial arts, people assume Asian men are unathletic and geeky. Obviously a lot of women are into geeky guys and are geeky themselves, but this is a stereotypical stigma which probably has a lot to do with it.

I don't think any of it has to do with appearance, though. There's plenty of attractive Asian men. I used to work with a Vietnamese-American guy who appearance wise, was cute, but he was a passive aggressive and condescending d-bag.

There's also a lack of representation in the media for Asian men outside what it is already stereotyped. It comes back to the "nerdy" thing. There's lots of white male athletes, musicians, movie stars, same with black men. Not the same for Asian men. How many Asian male musicians can the average American name, outside of K-Pop? (And then, that's still a niche thing) Hell, I listen to a lot of music but the only one that can come to my mind right now is Mike Shinoda. Same with actors. The most well known Asian male actors are old school martial artists like Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and Jet Li. Also there's George Takei. There's not many "hot young stud" male Asian actors out there. There's not that many male Asian athletes either. There's plenty of media representations for other races and ethnicities in America, but not so much as for Asians.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandron View Post
I think it has to do with Anglo culture as a whole.

When I was in Toronto and Vancouver, it was rare for me to see an Asian man with a white woman and unheard of to see an Indian guy with a white woman. Asian guys were seen as less than desirable and Indian men were seen as "untouchable" (lol the irony of the caste system) by a lot of the local white women who often dismissed them right off the bat. You saw quite a bit of Indian and Asian women with white guys but never the other way around. In both cities I saw significantly more black men with white women but it was unheard of for me to see Indian men with white women unless she was ugly and/or fat.

It puzzled me, so many white women, so many Asian and Indian men, yet the two never dated each other.

In Montreal, it was not as imbalanced.

I saw quite a few Asian guys dating white girls and even a good amount of Indian men with white women, no one really cared all that much. In fact I heard quite a few white women saying how they found this one jacked Asian guy "handsome" or how Riz Ahmed was a "stud".

A while back one of my Korean friends went to France and he slept with about five different girls who found him attractive, all five white and would have guys of all races viciously fighting for them here in the US and in Canada. My friend is now married to this tall blonde with model looks, she is from the North of France (not sure what exact city) and is one of the most beautiful women I have seen. That same Korean friend of mines was only dating Asian, black, and Hispanic women in California and had absolutely zero attention from white girls in the state.

It might be a controversial opinion but the Anglosphere in general whether it is Anglo Canada, Australia, or the US has major hang ups about Asian men and any men that look ethnically "foreign" (Hispanic, Indian, Arab) dating and hooking up with white women. The assault on the image of Asian men has been done by racist Hollywood which these days only shows blue eyed blonde haired white men as ideal.

American culture and Anglo culture as a whole is built up to stop white women from dating Asian and ethnic men in general by making the whole thing socially inappropriate and highly frowned upon.
It's novelty. Asians are rarer in Europe than in the states.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:00 PM

183 posts, read 154,306 times
I'm just surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the "Relationships" forum..

Peace...

Old 06-16-2017, 06:06 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
I mentioned earlier, but I disagree with the stigma thing. I've lived largely in Texas and has no trouble dating outside my race, even though I generally don't flirt with or otherwise ask out non-Koreans. I do believe there is some level of novelty, although Asian people aren't exactly rare around here, and there is also a growing minority of people becoming more interested in Asian pop culture, with some girls using K-Pop or dramas as a "foot in the door" to start talking to me or some of my friends. A lot of them are unsuccessful since most guys aren't interested in serious long term relationships with non-Koreans,but that's besides the point. The Asian guys blaming society are, most likely, just "undesirable" for other reasons and prefer pointing fingers rather than looking at themselves and making improvements.

I don't know what it's like to date on the coasts, but being Asian has, in my experience and that of my friends, of either sex, been beneficial.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:28 PM

6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
I'm just surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the "Relationships" forum..

Peace...
Ethnic and racial issues are not allowed on that forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or