U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyandhisrails View Post
White women and Hispanic men couples are accepted as long as the Hispanic guy in question is white. That is why I think the Hispanic label is dumb and should be broken down by race as brown latinos should be put in a separate group.

While it is common to see white latinos like a William Levy or Raul Esparza kind of guy enjoy success with white women because he is "exotic", it is rare to see a brown skinned latino like a Wilmer Valderrama lookalike date attractive white women (although Wilmer himself was able to do it since he is rich and famous).

A lot of brown latino men have it tough with white women, from my experiences in So Cal and Arizona it was rare to see a brown skinned Hispanic man date white women because they were seen as "Mexicans". When I was in Arizona (Tempe and Scottsdale), it was unheard of to see these kinds of Hispanic guys date some of the better looking white girls (never saw one with the stereotypical Tempe blonde).

So while it isn't an issue if a Raul Esparza or a latino that is white dates white women, it is a pretty big deal if a more brown skinned one does in a lot of the liberal states.

Black latinos can get by with the "black" label and often enjoy the same dating privileges as black guys do.

Do agree with the poster who said it isn't a big deal in Texas though, Texans seem a bit more laid back on interracial dating.

I have seen Asian, Hispanic, and even Indian men in that state dating white women; these guys were culturally assimilated but I don't think it really means that much because good looking white women in states like New York and California would have automatically dismissed them based on ethnic appearance alone.
You're wrong that it's only seen as acceptable if it's a white Latino. Only a small percentage of Hispanics in the US are white, and the vast majority of Hispanic guys who date white women would not be considered white.

And enough with this BS that interracial dating is less accepted in liberal states, that's not true at all.

And for what it's worth, a black man married to a white woman was mysteriously killed in Texas a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2017, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Elysium
6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Desi Arnaz was white and so was the actress that played the Puerto Rican woman in West Side Story.
West Side Story may be a special case because of the percentage of Black Puerto Ricans. However remember Arab was part of the White gang.

No matter how Mexican someone looked, in California when it was illegal Blacks could not marry Mexicans, but Mexicans could marry Whites. And Afro-Latinos looked the part or a known parent did they were single drop ruled into the colored and segregated caste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Reputation: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's total BS, stop making fake accounts just to post this
LMAO. This is at least his fourth iteration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 PM
 
1,401 posts, read 1,638,567 times
Reputation: 1428
White guys like slimmer women, and Asian women tend to not be obese to the degrees of their white, black and Hispanic counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,167 times
Reputation: 10
I went to school in the northeast and it was widely accepted for white guys to date women of various races, no one cared, it was even encouraged. Most of the "popular" and "acceptable" guys to date in college were white guys and to an extent black guys, especially for girls looking to experiment, but that was about it. Indian guys and Arab guys were by far the most looked down upon.

Stayed in the region after finishing college. White guys with latina women was celebrated and as was white guys with Asian women.

At one point we had a couple stay in the area, man was Korean and the woman was Scandinavian (very good looking), stuck out like a sore thumb. People stared at them, quite a few younger Asian women gave them a tough time, and a lot of white guys openly made racist jokes towards them.

To put it in simple words, because it is more acceptable for white guys to date interracial in American society but it isn't socially acceptable for men of minority groups to date white women. Exceptions do exist such as if the woman is fat and ugly, then no one cares, or if the guy is extremely rich then everyone can just think to themselves that she must be a gold digger.

This is all limited to the northeast by the way, not NYC but places in the northeast outside of it. Maybe other regions are more accepting of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Elysium
6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by echavasiea View Post
I went to school in the northeast and it was widely accepted for white guys to date women of various races, no one cared, it was even encouraged. Most of the "popular" and "acceptable" guys to date in college were white guys and to an extent black guys, especially for girls looking to experiment, but that was about it. Indian guys and Arab guys were by far the most looked down upon.

.
Arabs in America are part of the white tribe, what is going on is not racial but an expectation that they follow Islam, with the fear that it would be the more fundamental forms of it. While things may be fine now, with a man on good behavior, with the sexual prize within his reach, who wants to be forced into a veil later if she is not used and dumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're wrong that it's only seen as acceptable if it's a white Latino. Only a small percentage of Hispanics in the US are white, and the vast majority of Hispanic guys who date white women would not be considered white.

And enough with this BS that interracial dating is less accepted in liberal states, that's not true at all.

And for what it's worth, a black man married to a white woman was mysteriously killed in Texas a few years ago.
Sure seems that way for White-Asian couples. In Texas, I see nearly as many White Female-Asian Male couples as I do see White Male-Asian Female couples (among millennial and younger, completely skewed above ~35), and nearly all my friends have had a romantic relationship with at least one White women, though not all were serious long term ones. Meanwhile, it seems like half the Asian guys I meet from the Bay Area or LA (and even some from Seattle, my favorite city)* complain about how they just can't find a date with non-Asians, or even Asians.

*The reason I name Seattle as my favorite, which I have said before on CD, is because I don't want people to assume I am just using this topic to bash "liberal" cities, which would be odd anyway since I am "liberal." I'm simply stating what I have observed as an Asian American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Reputation: 23172
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's total BS, stop making fake accounts just to post this
Well, it has been several months since our last thread on the brown guy/white (blonde) girl dating taboos and angst. Apparently it never gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
LMAO. This is at least his fourth iteration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, it has been several months since our last thread on the brown guy/white (blonde) girl dating taboos and angst. Apparently it never gets old.
I feel like I've seen at least 10 of these threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 AM
 
25 posts, read 13,874 times
Reputation: 34
I don't think there's one TL;DR reason, although a lot of great answers have been posted here.


If I might add my 2 cents: gender roles and social progression. Some older white guys may not necessarily have an Asian fetish; society and it's changing gender roles may be evolving too rapidly for them to cope, and Asian women raised in traditional/conservative households tend to embody their idealized gender role, and are happy being in what we consider old-fashioned or outdated relationship dynamics (the woman must be submissive; she gives sex in exchange for the man financially supporting her). Conversely, white women may not be happy getting 'tied-down' by an Asian man with 'traditional' values and expectations of relationship dynamics. From the interracial couples I've known, it's almost always Asian man/white woman that fails. But then, that only really applies to foreign-born or 1st generation immigrants.

Personal preference aside, I think the most widespread reason for the disparity is exposure. Or lack thereof. Someone posted a few pages back about dating black men being considered socially acceptable because black culture is 'cool'. While that may play a part, I'd counter that blacks are more widespread throughout the US than Asians, and also receive less (positive) media coverage than blacks. It's too easy to think of them as 'the other', which along with, (paraphrasing another user) white men being generally less picky than white women probably serves as a mental block for white girls dating Asian guys.

For my part I'm the product of a white man with an Asian woman, and my dad was most definitely a man with appetite. He was also extremely conservative, and older than God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top