U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 AM

350 posts, read 608,012 times

Advertisements

A white man can marry with anyone (black woman, asian woman or arab woman), he will never be subject to the same social and societal disapproval that a woman would have undergone.

About dating asian women, they are perceived as more docile, faithful and attached to traditional values ​​compared to white women. White women are more independent since the 70s and white men feel a lack of manhood.

Also for Millennials (or Generation Y), there's also this attraction to manga and Asian culture in general that must be taken into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 PM

989 posts, read 595,645 times
People must remember that Asian means a lot of different things. A Filipino or Indonesian person looks pretty different from a Japanese person, for instance. Also the cultures are not the same. I think too many people lump all these cultures/looks into one.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:19 PM

4,145 posts, read 920,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
People must remember that Asian means a lot of different things. A Filipino or Indonesian person looks pretty different from a Japanese person, for instance. Also the cultures are not the same. I think too many people lump all these cultures/looks into one.
True. My dad is Chinese-American, and doesn't have much in common with other Asian cultures. Good points!

Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
A white man can marry with anyone (black woman, asian woman or arab woman), he will never be subject to the same social and societal disapproval that a woman would have undergone.

About dating asian women, they are perceived as more docile, faithful and attached to traditional values ​​compared to white women. White women are more independent since the 70s and white men feel a lack of manhood.

Also for Millennials (or Generation Y), there's also this attraction to manga and Asian culture in general that must be taken into account.
And yet my wife who is Thai-American really isnt a lot of that. Shes faithful and loyal, but traditional values, submissive??? HA!

Old 06-20-2017, 05:31 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Sure seems that way for White-Asian couples. In Texas, I see nearly as many White Female-Asian Male couples as I do see White Male-Asian Female couples (among millennial and younger, completely skewed above ~35), and nearly all my friends have had a romantic relationship with at least one White women, though not all were serious long term ones. Meanwhile, it seems like half the Asian guys I meet from the Bay Area or LA (and even some from Seattle, my favorite city)* complain about how they just can't find a date with non-Asians, or even Asians.

*The reason I name Seattle as my favorite, which I have said before on CD, is because I don't want people to assume I am just using this topic to bash "liberal" cities, which would be odd anyway since I am "liberal." I'm simply stating what I have observed as an Asian American.
You may be liberal, but you defend Dallas and Texas as much as you can because you're loyal to your state, nothing wrong with that. This is a subtle way for you to promote Dallas and Texas, save Austin of course.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, it has been several months since our last thread on the brown guy/white (blonde) girl dating taboos and angst. Apparently it never gets old.
No it's usually "LA, NYC and Portland can't stand the fact taht a brown guy is with a white girl. Atlanta and Chatanooga are fine with it."

Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,074,585 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjlAlfPLFo

Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You may be liberal, but you defend Dallas and Texas as much as you can because you're loyal to your state, nothing wrong with that. This is a subtle way for you to promote Dallas and Texas, save Austin of course.
I have not once mentioned Austin here, I don't even consider Austin liberal. I mean, it tried to ban plastic bags (and I know Dallas did too, but I never called Dallas or DFW liberal, I have always called them moderate). Do you have ANY evidence to point to to say I am a Austin hater? The most I say is that Austin is overrated, but I say the exact same thing about Seoul (maybe not overrated among Americans though), but that doesn't change the fact that I love it. I am tired of you harassing me and then crawling back under your bridge when I ask for an explanation.

Also, my experiences aren't blinded by my loyalty to Texas. Um, have you been there the many times when I said I really dislike Dallas' weather (its thunderstorms are the only good things), or how I feel like Dallas' community cares much too little about the environment, or that the people are way too dependent on cars (more suburbs but it is also an issue in Dallas). I often mention Texas' high poverty rate and income inequality as well. I may be loyal to Texas but I don't blindly ignore facts to praise it. It isn't much, but not too long ago I made a post just to point out an error a person made in saying that Texas has a lower unemployment rate than California and is, therefore (or, well, with other "reasons"), better than California. If you PM I can show you where I posted it, it wasn't on CD.

Like I implied in my two first posts in this thread, I thought that this was the case across the nation, Texas or not, with Asian guys dating White girls being just whatever, and some sort of racial preference against Asian males being a pathetic excuse put forward by Asian American guys who blamed society rather than themselves. Fact is, I am an Asian American and the majority of my close friends or acquaintances are Asian American. I've dated White women, and so have most my male friends, and so have most my female friends. It frankly isn't a big deal (at least until marriage, that is a bit taboo), and I've only once met an Asian guy, a new coworker, from the area who complain about how girls don't date Asian guys, and now he is dating a white woman from his previous workplace, after some meddling. I only changed my mind because of all the posts on this thread from various posters talking about their own experience. I'm not going to list them, I feel stating locations might be a violation of the rules, but if you look at the posters who used their own anecdotes in this thread, you will see that most are from outside of "flyover country."

Based on my experience, this phenomenon certainly isn't an issue where I have lived, but it must be elsewhere if other people, who in this thread seem to be from the West Coast or North, have experienced it so often. That seems like a more logical conclusion than concluding that all the posters are lying or that I've magically only met Asian guys who, for whatever reason besides location, don't experience this problem.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I have not once mentioned Austin here, I don't even consider Austin liberal. I mean, it tried to ban plastic bags (and I know Dallas did too, but I never called Dallas or DFW liberal, I have always called them moderate). Do you have ANY evidence to point to to say I am a Austin hater? The most I say is that Austin is overrated, but I say the exact same thing about Seoul (maybe not overrated among Americans though), but that doesn't change the fact that I love it. I am tired of you harassing me and then crawling back under your bridge when I ask for an explanation.

Also, my experiences aren't blinded by my loyalty to Texas. Um, have you been there the many times when I said I really dislike Dallas' weather (its thunderstorms are the only good things), or how I feel like Dallas' community cares much too little about the environment, or that the people are way too dependent on cars (more suburbs but it is also an issue in Dallas). I often mention Texas' high poverty rate and income inequality as well. I may be loyal to Texas but I don't blindly ignore facts to praise it. It isn't much, but not too long ago I made a post just to point out an error a person made in saying that Texas has a lower unemployment rate than California and is, therefore (or, well, with other "reasons"), better than California. If you PM I can show you where I posted it, it wasn't on CD.

Like I implied in my two first posts in this thread, I thought that this was the case across the nation, Texas or not, with Asian guys dating White girls being just whatever, and some sort of racial preference against Asian males being a pathetic excuse put forward by Asian American guys who blamed society rather than themselves. Fact is, I am an Asian American and the majority of my close friends or acquaintances are Asian American. I've dated White women, and so have most my male friends, and so have most my female friends. It frankly isn't a big deal (at least until marriage, that is a bit taboo), and I've only once met an Asian guy, a new coworker, from the area who complain about how girls don't date Asian guys, and now he is dating a white woman from his previous workplace, after some meddling. I only changed my mind because of all the posts on this thread from various posters talking about their own experience. I'm not going to list them, I feel stating locations might be a violation of the rules, but if you look at the posters who used their own anecdotes in this thread, you will see that most are from outside of "flyover country."

Based on my experience, this phenomenon certainly isn't an issue where I have lived, but it must be elsewhere if other people, who in this thread seem to be from the West Coast or North, have experienced it so often. That seems like a more logical conclusion than concluding that all the posters are lying or that I've magically only met Asian guys who, for whatever reason besides location, don't experience this problem.
Maybe your Californian Asian buddies are somewhat dorky? Or there are better looking guys of other races there?

I am very surprised that white women in Texas are more willing to date Asian guys, though I think an intelligent guy like you could say the sample size makes it somewhat anecdotal.

I see many people subtly make posts that make them seem unbiased and weather is something that is hard to argue. Dallas is one of the hottest cities in the US, I don't think that is deniable. COL is another thing most Texans are sensitive about. When we say Dallas is affordable, that's actually a compliment. Many will get in an uproar and say "wait, we're not as cheap as you think and that's certainly not the reason people move here." As someone who lives on the coast, I'm envious.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Maybe your Californian Asian buddies are somewhat dorky? Or there are better looking guys of other races there?

I am very surprised that white women in Texas are more willing to date Asian guys, though I think an intelligent guy like you could say the sample size makes it somewhat anecdotal.

I see many people subtly make posts that make them seem unbiased and weather is something that is hard to argue. Dallas is one of the hottest cities in the US, I don't think that is deniable. COL is another thing most Texans are sensitive about. When we say Dallas is affordable, that's actually a compliment. Many will get in an uproar and say "wait, we're not as cheap as you think and that's certainly not the reason people move here." As someone who lives on the coast, I'm envious.
Maybe its because Dallas is way more diverse and liberal than people give it credit for. People still view it as this overwhelmingly conservative and religious place.

I can somewhat see it on the religious and conservative grounds because many (not all) of the suburbs of Dallas are very religious and conservative, but the city of Dallas isnt conservative at all.

However, when it comes to diversity, Dallas and the DFW area is one of the most diverse places in the country. Yet people still view it as a bunch of white baptists.

I lived in Dallas and Plano for years. Im an Arab man married to an Thai woman. We loved it. We knew more interracial couples in the DFW area than I know here in Houston or I knew back in LA despite the fact that Houston and LA are more diverse.

As such this makes residents appear defensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or