U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:04 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Maybe its because Dallas is way more diverse and liberal than people give it credit for. People still view it as this overwhelmingly conservative and religious place.

I can somewhat see it on the religious and conservative grounds because many (not all) of the suburbs of Dallas are very religious and conservative, but the city of Dallas isnt conservative at all.

However, when it comes to diversity, Dallas and the DFW area is one of the most diverse places in the country. Yet people still view it as a bunch of white baptists.

I lived in Dallas and Plano for years. Im an Arab man married to an Thai woman. We loved it. We knew more interracial couples in the DFW area than I know here in Houston or I knew back in LA despite the fact that Houston and LA are more diverse.

As such this makes residents appear defensive...
I think once many accept that they are in the best situation and they can't change that, they get defensive. But to say that SoCal women won't date Asian men is absolutely an absurd bias with an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
According to a Pew study out this year, 29% of Asian newlyweds are in interracial marriages. For Asian women, it's 36%, for Asian men, only 21%. The gap is a bit smaller than between black men/women (black men are twice as likely to have interracial marriages) but whites and Latinos show basically no gender gap. Looking at only White/Asian newlywed couples (15% of all interracial marriages) 11% are White man/Asian woman, and only 4% are Asian man/White woman. This ratio is worse than for all intermarriages, suggesting a fair amount of Asian men are entering interracial marriages with other nonwhite groups.

Asian intermarriage rates have gone down slightly since 1980, however, while all other groups have gone up. A lot of this might have to do with different groups of Asians migrating to the U.S. now. South Asians are a lot less likely to intermarry than East Asians, for example. Though part of it just might be be because Asians have a lot more Asian partners to choose from as well.

Note that American-born Asians are far more likely to intermarry if they are U.S. born than immigrants. Among immigrants, 15% of men and 31% of women intermarry, but among the U.S. born, it's 38% of men and 54% of women. The gender gap seems to be smaller among the U.S. born - perhaps Asian-American men fit in better socially in the U.S. and have less issue attracting mates?
Dingdingding, we have a winner! Hello, has nobody considered the possibility that in many towns and small cities, there hardly ARE any Asians? I spent most of my childhood in such a town. Even after moving to a big city, Asians were a very small minority of the population. The stats comparing Caucasian-Asian couples really need to look at specific locations, not just US overall. When I have visited coastal CA large cities, it is striking how many more interracial couples are there, period, include Asian-Caucasian couples, including those with Asian man and Caucasian woman. I think this is partly a numbers game and partly a cultural one. Some areas are just more open to interracial dating and marriage.

And has nobody considered that a lot of women prefer that their mate be taller than her? If an average-height Caucasian woman wants a taller BF, the odds are better among white men for finding that. As successive generations of Asians are born in the US, the height diff lessens due to diet, but before that happens, the average Asian man is typically shorter than the average Caucasian man.

Direct personal knowledge of the gender arrangement, with verifiable coupling status as opposed to just seeing strangers on the street:

Asian husband with Caucasian wife: 1
Asian wife with Caucasian husband: 2
Asian GF with Caucasian BF: 1

All four of this HUGE sample live in the western US but not in LA or SF. So according to this set of ratios, there is a 3:1 difference among the gender mixes. But it is such a tiny sample!

Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think once many accept that they are in the best situation and they can't change that, they get defensive. But to say that SoCal women won't date Asian men is absolutely an absurd bias with an agenda.
Nah. I grew up in LA and that wasnt my experience. Pretty much anyone will date anyone irregardless of race, but thats also been my experience in the big Texas cities...

Old 06-21-2017, 11:40 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Maybe your Californian Asian buddies are somewhat dorky? Or there are better looking guys of other races there?
I doubt that there is much a difference between California and Texas regarding how "good looking" Asian American guys are when compared to Americans of other race in the same state. I did consider the first part though. After all, many stereotypes have some level of truth in reality and there is the stereotype that "dorky" or "nerdy" people are more likely to spend a lot of their time on the internet. And most Asian guys with the perspective I have met were through the internet, and that one guy I specifically mentioned in my earlier post was sort of nerdy (he sounded like he always just played video games with his friends and would constantly talk about/bring up memes). Nothing wrong with being dorky or nerdy, it is just that maybe it is true that some people don't like that quality in a mate.

Though, when reading some of the posts, I got the vibe that people were talking about Asian guys in general, with some mentioning otherwise good looking individuals.

Quote:
I am very surprised that white women in Texas are more willing to date Asian guys, though I think an intelligent guy like you could say the sample size makes it somewhat anecdotal.
Not sure why that seems to be the case. I really don't think it is a liberal-conservative thing. I was thinking maybe it was because Asian Americans have a longer established history on the West Coast and the Northeast Megalopolis and developing some sort of negative reputation not too dissimilar to African Americans in the "east" (the CSA, Northeast, and Midwest) versus the "west." This being based on me being told that there is generally better treatment of African Americans in the major Western cities when compared to the major Eastern cities. The sample is admittedly small.

Quote:
I see many people subtly make posts that make them seem unbiased and weather is something that is hard to argue. Dallas is one of the hottest cities in the US, I don't think that is deniable. COL is another thing most Texans are sensitive about. When we say Dallas is affordable, that's actually a compliment. Many will get in an uproar and say "wait, we're not as cheap as you think and that's certainly not the reason people move here." As someone who lives on the coast, I'm envious.
Not sure what exactly you men, but ff you look at my criticisms of any city, you will see those I make of DFW are actually harsher than those I make of other cities. Also, I think weather is very easy to argue about. The thunderstorms, which many people dislike, and what I usually point to as the only good weather in DFW, while the largest reason I hate coastal California's weather is all the sunny days, which a lot of other people seem to like. On being cheap and COL, I actually wish DFW was cheap. I used to mention COL as a major advantage of DFW and only stopped doing so because I would always get at least one negative response from a non-Texan (often people who disliked DFW or Dallas, but not always ) arguing that DFW wasn't cheap.

You can't dispute though that there are certain posters who try to pretend like some cities, DFW included, are growing only because they are cheap, as if the cities offer nothing else, when that is definitely not the case; there are many cheaper cities which are growing much slower than any of Texas' four major cities, including El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley Area, but also other attractive cities, in my opinion, like Indianapolis and all of Ohio's major cities.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 AM

This is coming from an Asian dude, but, for better or worse, a lot of us are regarded as dorks and nerds. Now, some chicks like an Asian because they're likely to be on a good career track, or rich.

This is purely anecdotal but ten years ago, I flew from Austin to the OC and I happen to sit next to a pretty attractive blond who was quite friendly. Well, eventually it's revealed that she's married (bummer), but I digress. As I was walking to my rental, I saw her husband, and he happened to be the nerdiest and scrawniest Asian ever. She was the 1 in a thousand women who cares about what's inside.

But, all that being said, men care more about looks than women.

When I say weather can't be argued, I don't mean that we all don't have our preferences. It just can't be argued that Texas and the deep south are hot as hell in a lot of months.

As for Dallas home prices, I read an article touting how the market is skyrocketing but even that article listed Dallas's median home price as 230k. That's cheap. That buys nothing on the coast. Here's the article: Dallas Housing Market Forecast 2017: Will It Continue to Outpace the Nation?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:00 AM

https://www.trulia.com/builder-commu...munitiesbanner

New homes, in Dallas 180-220k, schools look decent. In Dallas! My brother has a very nice home in Allen, which is kind of far from Dallas, but safe and one of the best school districts in Texas. You can get alot in Dallas and Houston, San Antonio and the rest of Texas. Unfortunately, Austin is pricey.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 AM

78,526 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
I'm just surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the "Relationships" forum..

Peace...
It wouldn't be allowed there. It's against that forum's TOS.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:43 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnative1989 View Post
Asian men have a Small, you know what.
Looked at a lot of Asian dongs have ya?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:40 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,812,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
Though exact statistics is not available, among white-asian couples, it seems that at least more than 90% of them are white men asian female.
In my life, I have never known any couple which are asian men white female.
It's even more unbalanced when the asian is the first generation of immigrant.

Among the couples white - first generation asian immigrant, there's even higher ratio for wmaf.

Why are amwf so ridiculously few?

Any answer including those which is not politically correct is appreciated.
War Brides, ever since WWII, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, and a smattering of others. Anywhere the American military has been. You don't notice the Germans or English because they are white. The opposite is true with the generation coming up. Chinese males are marrying white females.

As for White females they appear to be marrying black males. I have no idea why. I have been married to my asian wife for over 50 years

Old 07-21-2017, 07:42 PM

320 posts, read 502,909 times
Because women have a bias against short guys. That is a big hurdle for many Asian guys. Saying that, I've rarely dated Asians. I preferred women from other races because they were curvier and had more junks in their trunks. Also bigger boobs.

My wife is white and 5'7" and I am 5'2"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or