U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 AM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Baltimore is probably having it the worst, the looting which put so much supply out in the streets was a catalyst.
Yes this is true. The rioters specifically targeted pharmacies and pain clinics. The opioid epidemic is also very bad in New Orleans and also in some rural areas of West Virginia and Kentucky. WV has the highest overdose rate in the country now though there are less street drugs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 PM

190 posts, read 248,271 times
According to the DEA, as of 2013, there are more heroin addicts in Baltimore City than any other place in the United States. Approximately 10% of the city's population. The city has always been ground zero for heroin.

Though not a major cities, many communities in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, New Hampshire, and non-Boston MA have severe opioid problems

Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,523,328 times
A TON of rural areas around Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio are bad/have been bad for awhile. I am from a small town in Southern Indiana, and Meth/Heroine have always been an issue.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:18 PM

7,700 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
According to the DEA, as of 2013, there are more heroin addicts in Baltimore City than any other place in the United States. Approximately 10% of the city's population. The city has always been ground zero for heroin.

Though not a major cities, many communities in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, New Hampshire, and non-Boston MA have severe opioid problems
Boston itself has a serious opioid problem.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,744 times
Opioids are ravaging Ohio. I think that the prevalence of heroin is contributing to more murders here in Columbus than in years past. The rural communities are particularly being hit hard, particularly in Southern Ohio.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:33 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,161,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Opioids are ravaging Ohio. I think that the prevalence of heroin is contributing to more murders here in Columbus than in years past. The rural communities are particularly being hit hard, particularly in Southern Ohio.

Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky have to be the poorest regions in the US. You could make 8 dollars an hour and afford to buy a nice apartment or small house in those parts. Portsmouth OH is a mess man. I do not know why Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky have the worst heroin problems in the nation but they do. Poverty is no excuse for drug use because it happens in rich areas as well.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 AM

425 posts, read 293,281 times
I watched a news segment on the TODAY show this morning in which they reported on the huge Heroin and Fentanyl problem in Dayton, Ohio. So far this year, Montgomery County, Ohio has already exceeded last years overdose death numbers. It is so sad to see these communities ravaged by the opioid epidemic. Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia, as others have mentioned, seem to be the hardest hit.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,161,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I watched a news segment on the TODAY show this morning in which they reported on the huge Heroin and Fentanyl problem in Dayton, Ohio. So far this year, Montgomery County, Ohio has already exceeded last years overdose death numbers. It is so sad to see these communities ravaged by the opioid epidemic. Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia, as others have mentioned, seem to be the hardest hit.
Dayton OH is extremely bad as is all of the Ohio Valley. It is sad what is happening to my hometown region.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM

124 posts, read 61,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky have to be the poorest regions in the US. You could make 8 dollars an hour and afford to buy a nice apartment or small house in those parts. Portsmouth OH is a mess man. I do not know why Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky have the worst heroin problems in the nation but they do. Poverty is no excuse for drug use because it happens in rich areas as well.
No, not even close. Eastern Kentucky is one of the poorest regions in the country, but I have seen more poverty in places like Missouri or Northern Michigan versus what I have seen in Southern Ohio. Not to mention the poverty you find in the Southern states or in New Mexico.

The opioid epidemic seems to cluster around certain areas. From TN, KY, WV, OH, PA and then to RI, MA, and NH. NH and WV seem to have it the worst right now, with Ohio not far behind NH.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,319,968 times
Another bad place is Middletown OH, I had seen a story on WHIO that they were about to have a record number fatal overdoses with the number for this year already about to surpass last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or