U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM

406 posts, read 291,759 times

Advertisements

Seems like as someone who wants a progressive area, wants to be near the ocean, and doesn't want a high COL, Orlando would be a good fit. Went blue in the last election, has a growing economy, about 1/1.5 hrs from some of the nicest beaches in the country, isn't crazy expensive, especially in the suburbs, and has some of the things you wan't like palm trees.

I'd also suggest Phoenix, Houston (some outer suburbs may be a bit too conservative for you, if it matters) and Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 04:50 PM

33 posts, read 32,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Seems like as someone who wants a progressive area, wants to be near the ocean, and doesn't want a high COL, Orlando would be a good fit. Went blue in the last election, has a growing economy, about 1/1.5 hrs from some of the nicest beaches in the country, isn't crazy expensive, especially in the suburbs, and has some of the things you wan't like palm trees.

I'd also suggest Phoenix, Houston (some outer suburbs may be a bit too conservative for you, if it matters) and Raleigh.
I'm going to look into Orlando a little more. The only thing that worried me about Orlando was the over bearing possibility of the Disney presence, and the crime. How is the racial diversity there? I like to be around some of everyone.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Eh, I've lived in LV twice. Jobs aren't easy to find, unless you're in the medical field or have some kind of specialization. Hospitality and service jobs are easier to get if you have the network/social connections. The one thing I've remarked on to my now husband when we were moving to LV (my second time then), if I didn't know anyone at that job, the application process seems to take 3-6 months before I finally get a call (even at Target). Last time I spoke to a friend, she said it seemed to be now 8 months-ish. Other than that, we liked Las Vegas a lot, but with a family now, we would rather look over to Phoenix area instead (if we were looking to move back in that general area).
True Vegas was high on the list at first, until I did a bit of poking on indeed for jobs and it seemed pretty crappy. I have medical billing experience and pharmacy, but I'm not certified, just licensed. That's a whole nother chore state to state to do, when the wages for most pharmacy techs aren't worth all the trouble. What did you like about Vegas?

Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
I grew up in Southern California but lived in the Atlanta metro for a few years. I think where you are is better than anywhere in California or Arizona. I never lived in Nevada, but I would visit growing up. Outside of the Vegas metro, Nevada is empty. In the Vegas metro, there is a lot of seediness and crime. Rents are good though.
lmaoo "Nevada is empty" I do never hear about anything outside of Vegas. Idk I can't do Atlanta. The job market it horrific. I can't get a job in my field. The temp services are horrid. No matter if I try some south or north of Atlanta. Highest I ever got paid was 11.50 here. Tomorrow I'm "interviewing" to be a janitor for 8.50. I feel so embarrassed but now were scrambling to make ends me. Never ever had this issue in Chicago. I didn't take any job nor did I move forward
with any job unless they paid at least $16 for medical billing.
I feel like I've been suckered in for the cheap housing to not even be able to afford or maintain it with the wages here. But CA if definitely off, unless I got rich in the future or something.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I get what you're saying. Las Vegas has an interesting setup, it's one huge school district. The first time I was living there, I worked with several staff and the kids. I didn't like what I saw, I don't think the huge school district set up is a good idea-- though I get what they were hoping to accomplish at the time. At least with the Phoenix area, there's many districts to choose from-- I just think overall, it's better that way. I do have several friends from various areas in the Phoenix area and they've been pretty positive for most parts, but then... they do live in the better off areas.

I just don't think for the OP, LV would be any better than ATL, though it does check just some of the things s/he's looking for.

I have a friend in phoenix, shes said some negative things about the childcare workers there...smh

Old 06-21-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Florida in general is known for a crappy job market and the wages don't match the COL. If you want warm weather and a good job market you can try Raleigh NC or Houston/Dallas TX. Texas gets pretty hot though too but it's getting very diverse (especially Houston) so I wouldn't worry about too much racism in the main cities.
Your right, texas does seem diverse. A lot of atlantians and east coasters seem to hate TX. They always say the same thing and make it seem like ATL part 2. my husband does have a huge issue, with the southern type feel tx might give. I know for a fact he wont do NC. his step brother is there right now, and trying to get out here. He likes urban sprawl and modernization.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Move to Tampa or Central Florida. Does not have a southern feel and diverse. 1 hour on average to beach or less.
Looking into this now. How is the walkability for Tampa. How is the diversity? What central florida cities would u suggest?

As for renting housing is it difficult

Old 06-21-2017, 05:05 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,172,460 times
Economy is known to be better in Texas than the rest of the country. Atlanta has a lot of corporate jobs and has a good economy for business people with MBA's and experience. I hear Atlanta has a really high employment and a huge disparity between the super rich and the middle class, you could make that case for any city but in Atlanta is seems to be growing faster.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 33,706 times
Florida is beautiful and you'd meet so many people from other parts of the country.

Am wondering why you didn't include Oregon on your list. It's progressive to be sure and has both mountains and beaches. I've not been there in years though and have no idea how the job market is.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM

551 posts, read 341,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid93 View Post
Looking into this now. How is the walkability for Tampa. How is the diversity? What central florida cities would u suggest?

As for renting housing is it difficult
Renting cost has risen pretty high from what I have heard. Lots of people moving here and probably the demand. Tampa and Orlando are very diverse. I think Orlando may be minority majority and Tampa probably close. Not sure what you are looking for in diversity. Religion, gender, race, etc. The public transportation is poor in Tampa. Walk-ability, depends on where you live, but they have created a Riverwalk downtown that is nice to jog and site see. Orlando probably ahead with a commuter rail they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or