U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 AM

33 posts, read 31,766 times

Advertisements

Last year my husband and I relocated from Chicago, IL to Atlanta, Ga with our children hoping for a better life and more affordable living situation. We both have medical billing experience, as well as warehouse/customer service experience for times we need to work temps and can't find a job in our field. No place is perfect and everywhere has problems but things that really stand out to me in a place to settle is: Ease of getting a job, cost of living, ease on credit checks, accessibility to stores, getting around, service, warm weather, decent schools and safety, decent people that are progressive.

Atl has been struggle after struggle, problem after problem. Pros: The cost of living, credit doesn't determine if you will have a place to live or a car to drive. Cons: Jobs too competitive and based off of networking. Pay is very low for expectations on the job. People care more about networking/socialization before getting to the money or succeeding. Lack of diversity. Poor state, every service is utilized to capacity. Nobody here really cares about you, service workers are indifferent because they've heard everything a thousand times. This city is also pretty lazy, everything closes early. People take forever to service you. School systems suck. Nightlife is too much of a focus here. Restaurants and places to hang out are mostly for couples and date nights. More bars, strip clubs lounges than things to do with families and children. Ghetto all over, even if the neighborhood looks nice. People are too jealous here and do anything to get your job position. City infrastructure sucks. You spend a lot of time in a car and put a lot of mileage on it. You have to ride the expressway everywhere and its almost impossible to not use gps here since the city isn't a grid like shape where streets go all the way through. A 5min ride here is 8miles of driving compared to suburbs in Chicago, a 5min ride is less than a mile away. The hills wear and tear your tires really quickly and so does the cold humidity at night, hoto and humid at 4pm mess with the air pressure in your tires. You spend a lot of money on new tires. Police are super petty here. Anything you do out here they need 10 forms of verification to prove identity because scamming is so big here. It makes simple things like picking up money, cashing a check, opening an account somewhere, applying for something or requesting service really difficult. Many people that are customer service workers aren't helpful here. ATL really isn't what people hype it up to be.

Some places we've been looking into were

California: Pros: Palm trees, higher paying jobs, ocean, weather, diversity, food, mountains, progressive people, can meet connects there Cons: Cost of living (its gotta be some towns out there that's affordable though, its common sense to not move directly in a metro area because rent will be the highest...same as Chicago; you have to move 15mins-2hrs away from the city for affordable rent)

Nevada: Pros: Close to California, weather, palm trees, cost of living. Cons: Doesn't seem to have many jobs, things might be too concentrated and dependent upon the strip. Not too sure if theres much for families or small children to do.

Arizona: Pros: Close to California, palm trees, warm weather, cost of living, jobs in medical billing seem abundant, might be more family orientated than other places Cons: lack of diversity, heard theres some racism there, might be too bland

Florida: Beautiful, beaches, warm weather,things to do with family, nightlife, diverse, progression, can meet connects there Cons: unsure about the job market, might cater to bi-lingual or not have enough jobs period, unsure about housing/credit checks, crime

or even Texas: Pros: Jobs, diversity, housing Cons: heard of racism, Husband doesn't want to stay in a southern type state

theres more but I really would like your opinion

Last edited by mermaid93; 06-18-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
You should narrow down your search to specific metro areas as opposed to entire states.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
If you have bad credit, or hate the following: long commutes, mostly freeway driving, a high COL including extremely high rent, lots of hills to wear out your cars, no grid-shaped cities, mostly poor schools, lots of rules and police to enforce them, heavy background checks for jobs, apartments, jobs that ask for "bilingual preferred"---forget California.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You should narrow down your search to specific metro areas as opposed to entire states.
I didn't do metro areas because I'm pretty open to different places in the states. For example many people would put Miami or tampa but I didn't want to miss out on better job markets in florida by limiting to a metro area.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If you have bad credit, or hate the following: long commutes, mostly freeway driving, a high COL including extremely high rent, lots of hills to wear out your cars, no grid-shaped cities, mostly poor schools, lots of rules and police to enforce them, heavy background checks for jobs, apartments, jobs that ask for "bilingual preferred"---forget California.
true, but then again CA has so much more to offer than GA that I could get around or accept those things. We are building credit as we speak before leaving. Neither of us have criminal backgrounds. I was just saying the identity checks here are crazy...for things that may need one or two pieces of identification Atl usually asks for 4 or more....plus answering test and security questions. Scamming here and identity theft is big.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,461,269 times
Not many of the larger cities are a bargain. Arizona is way too hot. Florida is very humid in the summer and California has a high state income tax. Not familiar with Texas but not my cup of tea. Maybe Colorado? Keep looking and doing your research.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 AM

forgot to add Colorado too

Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Not many of the larger cities are a bargain. Arizona is way too hot. Florida is very humid in the summer and California has a high state income tax. Not familiar with Texas but not my cup of tea. Maybe Colorado? Keep looking and doing your research.
how is the job market and housing out there?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid93 View Post
Good points here, this place is really saturated with people from out of town so they really do lack southern hospitality here. Sometimes I get really frustrated that it's not many things to do with my kids. It seems like everywhere I turn its a club, if I cut the radio on its stuff about partying, then I come home and people are outside playing loud music outside their cars partying. S**t is irritating, I'm about my business and my family at this point in life and its a bunch of pointless distraction here for people that love the clockwork life. Work 50hrs a week for 9.50 an hour, then party and get drunk and chance they get. The vibes here just feel really low, people here are only at their best when they kicking it.
Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you moved to metro Atlanta and wound up in the wrong neighborhood. Attempting to portray all of Atlanta in this light is pretty disingenuous and you could very well wind up in a similar neighborhood in a new metro area if you aren't careful.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Actually I did do my homework before I moved here. It wasn't about that. I'm not generalizing Atlanta, I know the good areas are north of the city, I've lived in Lawrenceville & Marietta before coming to my current spot. Moving to another spot in Atlanta still won't make me like this place. It isn't a good fit for us other than affordable housing, this isn't about living in a good or bad neighborhood that's making me feel the way that I do about ATL. Stop taking it personal. I'm from Chicago, I've lived in way worse and way better neighborhoods than where I am now; and was still happier and more content than anywhere I've been since I've came to Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or