Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,216 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate within the next 6-8 months. My husbands job allows him to find employment pretty much anywhere and I am a graphic designer/wedding stationer so my job is mobile! We moved from Pittsburgh to the Dayton, Ohio area where we have family and it's just not our "happy place" & we want to find a place with character, charm & fun things to do!

I've been researching & am really interested in Charleston, SC but would love to have more options to research so we can make plans to visit our top choices and get to know them! We do have a few requirements/wish lists for our new home.

* We are trying to stay on the eastern half of the US.
* Would love to be near water!
* We are used to cold winters so weather isn't a HUGE deal breaker but would love to have nice temps year round to enjoy!
* City full of character & charm
* Great food
* Amazing shopping
* We love outdoor markets

The only 2 absolute off limit states are Florida & California (weird, right?) - I guess we had to set some boundaries somewhere!

We are a fun couple in our mid 30's. We enjoy discovering new neighborhoods & areas but are just as happy enjoying a quiet evening at home!

So I'd love to know - what areas sound like a good fit for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasue21 View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate within the next 6-8 months. My husbands job allows him to find employment pretty much anywhere and I am a graphic designer/wedding stationer so my job is mobile! We moved from Pittsburgh to the Dayton, Ohio area where we have family and it's just not our "happy place" & we want to find a place with character, charm & fun things to do!

I've been researching & am really interested in Charleston, SC but would love to have more options to research so we can make plans to visit our top choices and get to know them! We do have a few requirements/wish lists for our new home.

* We are used to cold winters so weather isn't a HUGE deal breaker but would love to have nice temps year round to enjoy!
* Great food
* Amazing shopping

The only 2 absolute off limit states are Florida & California (weird, right?) - I guess we had to set some boundaries somewhere!

We are a fun couple in our mid 30's. We enjoy discovering new neighborhoods & areas but are just as happy enjoying a quiet evening at home!

I think making California & Florida off-limits is a great idea. California is super expensive, and Florida is super hot & humid

That being said, Charleston definitely sounds like a good option. I would also recommend Savannah, GA. It has a ton of character & history, and also has the water factor you enjoy. Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit, and always enjoy it each & every time

Old 06-22-2017, 12:24 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
There are so many places with these characteristics that it's hard to winnow down your list of options. Plus, traits like "charming" and "amazing" are particularly subjective. Is there anything even more specific you could add to your list that would make this a more objective process? E.g. preference for schools (if you care), job markets/industries, cost of living or budget, urban/suburban ideologies, political ideologies, etc.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
You might also consider Norfolk VA. While not directly on the coast (like Charleston) it is surrounded by water (Elizabeth River and the Cheasapeake Bay) and just 30 minutes to the beach. Check out in-town neighborhoods like Ghent which is full of character/charm and largely populated with younger professional couples like yourselves.

https://ghentnorfolk.org/about/about-ghent/
https://www.downtownnorfolk.org/

Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasue21 View Post

* Great food
* Amazing shopping

I love Charleston!

What is your budget?

Annapolis, MD
Williamsburg, VA
Beaufort, SC
Hilton Head Island, SC
Wilmington, NC
Davidson, NC
Alexandria, VA

A lot of these places can be expensive though.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 06-22-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.