U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

22,231 posts, read 23,751,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Depends how old you are. At age 24, that's a very common question regardless of city. Especially when you're meeting new friends. Older or higher up in your career it's less of a thing in my experience.
I don't remember this ever being the case when I was in my mid 20s in NYC. I think maybe I had been asked if I went to NYU before at points when I went out in Greenwich Village, though I'm pretty sure the location had a lot to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:20 AM

21,230 posts, read 30,469,580 times
I'll second (or third) Detroit. Now is the time if you want to get in on the great stuff that's happening now along with all of the new development on the horizon. The cost of living is approachable and could be an exciting thing for someone getting started to be able to make your mark in a city headed toward a rebirth.

Billionaire Dan Gilbert's mission to rebuild Detroit as a hub of 'muscles and brains'
Construction builds up hope for Detroit

Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,242,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You sound like someone that lives in the Dallas suburbs (e.g. Plano) but only goes into the city to party. Have you thought about living in the city itself? And it's very common for people to ask what university you went to, especially in the Northeast. Not exclusively a "southern thing." Consumer culture is everywhere as well.
Plano is hardly the poster child of conservatism it may have once been. As far as DFW's suburbs are concerned, it isnt even one of the most conservative. Places like Southlake, Keller, and Colleyville are far more conservative than Plano. Plano is extremely diverse which helps:

How did Plano vote? Post-election results show Plano

Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,354,985 times
A lot of those questions you're getting are typical random chat topics in American culture especially for someone your age.
I don't think it's an isolated Dallas thing. Living in Oak Lawn and working downtown here, I have had the pleasure of being around such an eclectic group of people and have really enjoyed my experience in Dallas. Have you thought about a change of scenery in the city? Perhaps Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville or the Cedars?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM

56,809 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'll second (or third) Detroit. Now is the time if you want to get in on the great stuff that's happening now along with all of the new development on the horizon. The cost of living is approachable and could be an exciting thing for someone getting started to be able to make your mark in a city headed toward a rebirth.

Billionaire Dan Gilbert's mission to rebuild Detroit as a hub of 'muscles and brains'
Construction builds up hope for Detroit
Also, besides Downtown, Midtown, Corktown and the Villages, the Palmer Park area near one of the middle class areas of the city may be another city option. While not as prevalent now, it was where the LGBT community was concentrated in the city. Now, many moved north on Woodward to Ferndale and Royal Oak, which would be good suburban options due to also attracting a young professional crowd and for having a nightlife scene as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or