U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2017, 07:56 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,428 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

As the title says, I'm looking to leave Dallas. Born and raised in Texas, with a small stint in Fayetteville, AR for school.

I'm looking for good cities for young, single people - I'm a 24 year old guy.

Dallas is fun but I am not fond of the weather, suburban consumer culture, and conservative/religious ideals. Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun in the past 4 years I've lived in the city and I've met a ton of great people but I'm bored and looking to move on.

I'm not religious, not into sports, and I'm not into the southern "what university did you go to?", "what fraternity were you in?", and "when are you getting married?" culture. Not knocking those people, it's just not my thing.

My skill set is in graphic design and video production so an area with creative jobs would be best.
In my spare time I like to go out to clubs and see electronic music DJs play, go to music festivals, go to the gym, and I would do more outdoorsy stuff if it wasn't so damn hot all summer.

Anybody got any ideas on where I could move?
Unfortunately, after doing some research I've come to realize that Texas is one of the cheapest places to live and I realize that leaving would up my COL, which is not great but I could make it work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,893,625 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njserg View Post
As the title says, I'm looking to leave Dallas. Born and raised in Texas, with a small stint in Fayetteville, AR for school.

I'm looking for good cities for young, single people - I'm a 24 year old guy.

Dallas is fun but I am not fond of the weather, suburban consumer culture, and conservative/religious ideals. Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun in the past 4 years I've lived in the city and I've met a ton of great people but I'm bored and looking to move on.

I'm not religious, not into sports, and I'm not into the southern "what university did you go to?", "what fraternity were you in?", and "when are you getting married?" culture. Not knocking those people, it's just not my thing.

My skill set is in graphic design and video production so an area with creative jobs would be best.
In my spare time I like to go out to clubs and see electronic music DJs play, go to music festivals, go to the gym, and I would do more outdoorsy stuff if it wasn't so damn hot all summer.

Anybody got any ideas on where I could move?
Unfortunately, after doing some research I've come to realize that Texas is one of the cheapest places to live and I realize that leaving would up my COL, which is not great but I could make it work.

Thanks!
If COL is not a deal breaker, head to California. Bay Area is super pricey, but you don't have to be a trust fund kid to live in parts of Greater LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
A sleeper may be Detroit with its Techno scene. Bringing the techno scene back to its hometown, Detroit | Michigan Radio

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/2/11...c-music-techno

https://www.detroittechnohouse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,179 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Reputation: 11633
You should list your budget and how much in savings you have and maybe what kind of weather you would be fond of.

For your skillsets and what you're looking for, LA, the Bay Area, NYC, Seattle, Atlanta and Chicago could be pretty good general recommendations.

I agree that Detroit, as in living in the city itself, is an interesting wildcard.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-20-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,428 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks for the replies so far!

I've only been out of college for a year and a half so I'm working with a big fat $0 in savings at the moment due to some big expenses for the year.

Right now I make $37,500 a year and do just fine on that. Rent is about $1k and car payment is $240.
Fortunately, no student loan payments and no CC debt.

Edit: I'm not adverse to snow and cold weather but a cool or temperate climate would probably be preferable.

Last edited by Njserg; 06-20-2017 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,241,502 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njserg View Post
As the title says, I'm looking to leave Dallas. Born and raised in Texas, with a small stint in Fayetteville, AR for school.

I'm looking for good cities for young, single people - I'm a 24 year old guy.

Dallas is fun but I am not fond of the weather, suburban consumer culture, and conservative/religious ideals. Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun in the past 4 years I've lived in the city and I've met a ton of great people but I'm bored and looking to move on.

I'm not religious, not into sports, and I'm not into the southern "what university did you go to?", "what fraternity were you in?", and "when are you getting married?" culture. Not knocking those people, it's just not my thing.

My skill set is in graphic design and video production so an area with creative jobs would be best.
In my spare time I like to go out to clubs and see electronic music DJs play, go to music festivals, go to the gym, and I would do more outdoorsy stuff if it wasn't so damn hot all summer.

Anybody got any ideas on where I could move?
Unfortunately, after doing some research I've come to realize that Texas is one of the cheapest places to live and I realize that leaving would up my COL, which is not great but I could make it work.

Thanks!
You sound like someone that lives in the Dallas suburbs (e.g. Plano) but only goes into the city to party. Have you thought about living in the city itself? And it's very common for people to ask what university you went to, especially in the Northeast. Not exclusively a "southern thing." Consumer culture is everywhere as well.

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-20-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,179 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Reputation: 11633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You sound like someone that lives in the Dallas suburbs (e.g. Plano) but only goes into the city to party. Have you thought about living in the city itself? And it's very common for people to ask what university you went to, especially in the Northeast. Not exclusively a "southern thing." Consumer culture is everywhere as well.
I think that's only common in very specific occupations, not in social settings. I don't think I've ever been asked that unless it had something to do with work or some kind of professional setting though even that seems rare. Maybe it's solely a suburbs thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,241,502 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think that's only common in very specific occupations, not in social settings. I don't think I've ever been asked that unless it had something to do with work or some kind of professional setting though even that seems rare. Maybe it's solely a suburbs thing?
Depends how old you are. At age 24, that's a very common question regardless of city. Especially when you're meeting new friends. Older or higher up in your career it's less of a thing in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,428 times
Reputation: 13
I actually live close to Downtown, in Deep Ellum. So luckily, I'm in the best place for my interests/personality in Dallas.

That is a good point you are both making and could be the case - I do work with quite a few of the more traditional 'suburban' Dallasites.

One huge consideration is my career field. There isn't a ton of opportunity in DFW for creative careers like mine. There are a few design studios but it's not a strong industry in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,241,502 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njserg View Post
I actually live close to Downtown, in Deep Ellum. So luckily, I'm in the best place for my interests/personality in Dallas.

That is a good point you are both making and could be the case - I do work with quite a few of the more traditional 'suburban' Dallasites.

One huge consideration is my career field. There isn't a ton of opportunity in DFW for creative careers like mine. There are a few design studios but it's not a strong industry in the area.
Ahh that would do it. I know firsthand how co-workers can really paint your view of an area, but that can happen anywhere. I think your last point about your career is most important and in fact DFW may not be good for that. Unfortunately, I can't speak on that particular field. Just saying if sports, suburbanites, and asking where you went to school bothers you, then that eliminates a huge chunk of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top