U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:50 AM

114 posts, read 111,394 times

Advertisements

As suggested in the title, we are two teachers in our mid 20's looking to move out of NY & looking for suggestions of areas that may suit our needs. I'm doing a ton of forum reading, but am hoping for some insight. We both have MEd's & teaching experience, so we are not fresh out of college. We are currently researching employment opportunities and are hesitant to move without one in hand. On the other hand, we are considering substitute teaching while we get a feel for the area--it wouldn't be ideal, but we're considering it. Furthermore, since we are both NY certified, we get reciprocity for our certifications in most states & are open to pursuing it in those that do not have reciprocity.

We want to be in an area with a "healthy" and active vibe. We are are vegan and health-conscious so being around a like-minded community would be great. We, of course, are friends with people of all dietary backgrounds but would love for there to be some options when we go out to eat. Additionally, yoga events, lots of people out running, farmers markets, active community of people kayaking, hiking, etc. are things that appeal to us. We would also like to be around areas with coffee shops and libraries. An educated community would be a huge plus. Essentially, we're looking for a vibrant area where there are things going on-- not a sleeper town. Politically, we are pretty liberal & would like to be in a rather liberal area.

We aren't big partiers, so immediate access to clubs/bars is not a priority, but it would be nice to have the occasional night out. It seems that many people in their 20's live in areas with clubs & lots of nightlife, so it may be that if we want to meet people our age, we will have to be somewhere like that. We would love to be around young professionals in their 20s & 30s. What we want to avoid is living in the middle of the city & having to deal with astronomical rents, high(er) crime, and the noise and pollution that comes with it. We also want some natural beauty and prefer natural scenery to city skylines. Air quality is very important to us. We do love a "laid back" lifestyle, but do not want to be isolated, so we are looking for a happy medium.

Climate-wise, it would be ideal to be near a nice beach. I know this cuts out the majority of the U.S. so we are, of course, open to areas that do not have this amenity. It would also only be useful year-round if we are in an area with a rather warm climate. We hail from Western NY, the land of snow & wind that hurts your face. I would prefer an area with a milder climate, and lots of sun! I think I may be able to stand some snow if I have sunshine. It's the gray skies/slush on the roads that is truly soul-crushing. We're also not particularly into winter sports like skiing & snowboarding, but are open to checking it out. We've previously lived in Hawaii & LOVED the climate, but the lack of an educated community & the isolation were two big deal breakers in the end.

And finally, since we are teachers, we would like to be in a state that at least supports the profession in some capacity. If not, we can look into private schools, but that is its own forum post. We are obviously spoiled from being in the New York system, but are open to other areas.

Well, now that I've described my utopia, I hope that you can provide some information about areas that come to mind. They, of course, do not have to tick all the boxes, and we are open to compromising.

Any insight at all is appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
Sounds like Austin, Texas and parts of Southern California too me.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
And finally, since we are teachers, we would like to be in a state that at least supports the profession in some capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Sounds like Austin, Texas
Surely you jest. Texas isn't exactly known for it's support of teachers and public schools.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
You might consider NJ which maybe conjures up something different from what you imagine but places like New Brunswick and Piscataway are good options with the demographic you're looking along with loads of employment and social opportunities....and not overtly costly. NJ is also largely well known for it's commitment to public education and teachers. It's also just an hour to beautiful beaches like Sandy Hook.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
I wonder if a place like Newark DE would work, given what you are looking for. Not sure about the environment in regards to teachers though.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Sounds like Austin, Texas and parts of Southern California too me.
Is there anywhere in Southern California that stands out to you?

Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might consider NJ which maybe conjures up something different from what you imagine but places like New Brunswick and Piscataway are good options with the demographic you're looking along with loads of employment and social opportunities....and not overtly costly. NJ is also largely well known for it's commitment to public education and teachers. It's also just an hour to beautiful beaches like Sandy Hook.
We actually have friends in NJ & they like it there a lot. They are in North Jersey & when we visit, it really seems exactly like NY, though I'm sure there are nuances. The climate in NJ has many of the negatives NY has, though the social opportunities you mentioned seem good!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Would you two be sharing a rental? Coastal CA would fit your criteria, but it's expensive. Mill Valley, just north of San Francisco, has an affordable-housing program for teachers; if you can survive there for a year or two on your own, teaching or subbing, you can apply for the subsidized housing units. Marin County in general would be right up your alley, but getting it to work financially would be another matter.

I don't know specifically what other communities there help teachers like Mill Valley does, but this is a growing movement in the Bay Area, and there's a RE developer there that's contributing land and building townhomes for this purpose around the area.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-28-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Would you two be sharing a rental? Coastal CA would fit your criteria, but it's expensive. Mill Valley, just north of San Francisco, has an affordable-housing program for teachers; if you can survive there for a year or two on your own, teaching or subbing, you can apply for the subsidized housing units. Marin County in general would be right up your alley, but getting it to work financially would be another matter.

I don't know specifically what other communities there help teachers like Mill Valley does, but this is a growing movement in the Bay Area, and there's a RE developer there that's contributing land and building townhomes for this purpose around the area.
Yes, we would be living together. Hearing "subsidized housing units" doesn't give me a great feeling, but I may have the wrong impression. I will read up about Mill Valley!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Texas isn't exactly known for it's support of teachers and public schools.
Really? According to what source?

I used to live in TX, and it's much better there than the state I live in now. TX is usually bashed by people who have never lived there, and are full of assumptions and myths, especially in the areas of schools/teachers/education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or