U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,337,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I was with you on all points........until the stereotyping of the South, Midwest, and rural areas ensued. I mean, where do I start, lol......I actually can't stand Trump, but find it ironic when one claims to be "progressive" and "tolerant", yet can't bear to even live in an area that even remotely doesn't see their world view as they do. Actually, most areas of the South and Midwest are some of the most ideologically diverse regions in the nation. I live near Boston (a city you recommended), and it's one of the most politically homogeneous areas anywhere. I don't think purposely isolating yourself from people and ideas not your own is good. If you want diversity, you have to have it even if it doesn't serve you. THAT'S the true test......In terms of the Presidency, we were given 2 of the worse choices of Presidential candidates in my 52 years of life. To say that Hillary "got more votes" as somehow making any kind of difference is hilarious, lol. It's just plain sour grapes excuses. She herself said during one of the debates, "Weve been around 240 years. Weve had free and fair elections and weve accepted the outcomes when we may not have liked them and that is what must be expected of anyone standing on a debate stage during a general election". The hypocrisy in that statement is off-of-the charts funny, given the way she's acted since the election. I would've loved my 3rd party choice to have won. BUT, they didn't. Life goes on. I mean, this isn't rocket science! lol.........The South and Midwest are where you will get the best buying power (wages vs. cost of living) in the nation. You get more for less. Buy/invest instead of rent. THAT'S how you obtain personal wealth........I have a college education in Computer Science, but one thing I've learned in life is there's a BIG difference in being "educated" and being wise. Those who are overly enamored with being "educated", most of the time, lack wisdom......This just goes to show that, when you allow stereotypes and self-righteousness to guide your thinking, it blinds you to reality in favor of your own biases.
I guess if I could add to your point:

The Bostons, NYCs, and San Francisco's, and DC of the world are radically more Liberal than any "Conservative" city is conservative.

I mean even take a place like Boise, ID, where I grew up. Idaho is known as a whack job conservative/ libertarian state by some folks, but in Ada County (Where Boise is located) there was only about a 8 point difference between the two and neither had over half the vote. Of course different parts of town or neighborhoods swung one way of the other, but it isn't a big enough town than you could not have friends who vote for "The other team" It is not the end of the world if you disagree with some of your neighbors about candidates.

Compare that with Brooklyn which had about 80 for Clinton or Manhattan and the Bronx which went almost 90%. In order to find any place with that high of a percentage of Trump voters you would have to go to a very rural area with a very small population, Roberts County in TX for example which while it went 95% for Trump, that was a total of like 550 votes.

If people are so into diversity, why does it bother them so much to live in a place without a super majority of folks that agree with them? I don't have to be a Trump fan (which I am not) to think there is an echo chamber issue.

I think this whole "Trump Country" BS is just to dehumanize and alienate people who don't live in the major wealthy cities. Its the same as calling these areas "flyover country" with a ridiculous virtue signaling factor added to it.

@ the OP, I don't know how independently wealthy you are and it isn't my business, but your two million dollar budget will go way further in other parts of the country, heck half of that could get you some pretty incredible digs most places. Maybe check out Cincinnati for example. You could invest the other million or buy rentals with it or something.

Or maybe NYC is the best option for you, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM

2,092 posts, read 1,120,044 times
Not a lot of helpful feedback. He gave some distinct information and criteria, including a list of prospective cities.

The answers should be predicated around the information provided. If the OP desires a strong democratic and/or liberal environment, let's not focus on your opinions of said environment. Instead, let's help them find the right neighborhood.

So, I offered Boston metro as a potential landing spot, specifically the urban suburb of Brookline.

What's the best fit around NYC? Brooklyn Heights? Summit, NJ? Greenwich, CT?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:25 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,437,437 times
In Boston, yes, Brookline; but why not Cambridge and Somerville too, and maybe Jamaica plain? None of these is considered 'suburban' in the US context yet the housing in these areas is mostly closely packed houses with small yards-- urban for the US but suburban if you're coming from London and Geneva. New York is urban by anyone's standards and you don't get suburban there without some miles of separation, in places like Montclair, already mentioned. The Boston locations are more hybrid and not so far from Boston city center. Seattle is a lot like that, very nice neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Queen Anne that have free-standing houses and parks but close to downtown.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
In Boston, yes, Brookline; but why not Cambridge and Somerville too, and maybe Jamaica plain? None of these is considered 'suburban' in the US context yet the housing in these areas is mostly closely packed houses with small yards-- urban for the US but suburban if you're coming from London and Geneva. New York is urban by anyone's standards and you don't get suburban there without some miles of separation, in places like Montclair, already mentioned. The Boston locations are more hybrid and not so far from Boston city center. Seattle is a lot like that, very nice neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Queen Anne that have free-standing houses and parks but close to downtown.
With $2M to spend, and based on a progressive/semi European/high quality education/worldly culture recommendation, my thought was immediately Brookline, Cambridge, or Newton. Somerville is certainly an option, for example, but that would be more of an investment for the long term IMO. It's not the tier 1 destination for families like a Cambridge or Brookline, and it seems like maybe that is what the OP desires.

You're not going to live lavishly with that budget in those communities, but coming from the EU, specifically London and Geneva, I don't think a large house or large yard is necessarily what they'd like. My inclination is that walkability and transportation would carry more weight than a new home and/or a larger yard. If it's the latter that the OP wants out of his move back to the States then I'd recommend Newton, Lexington, Belmont, Winchester, or Concord.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM

1,211 posts, read 893,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Somerville is certainly an option, for example, but that would be more of an investment for the long term IMO. It's not the tier 1 destination for families like a Cambridge or Brookline, and it seems like maybe that is what the OP desires.
Not sure when you were here last but I would actually say Somerville draws families just as well as Cambridge, Somerville actually has more children than Cambridge does per capita. Very similar school systems with highly diverse student populations.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Not sure when you were here last but I would actually say Somerville draws families just as well as Cambridge, Somerville actually has more children than Cambridge does per capita. Very similar school systems with highly diverse student populations.
Certainly a big area for young families, and constantly evolving. But we can both agree that we are comparing a rapidly evolving sister city to one of the most desirable suburbs in the US, right?

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/cambridg...ic-schools-ma/
https://www.niche.com/k12/d/somervil...ic-schools-ma/

Niche is not the end-all-be-all, but I think the disparity in reputation/test scores etc. is pretty visible. Cambridge R&L is one of the states premier high schools. I'd certainly go Brookline or Cambridge if I has $2M to spend.

Somerville is probably more diverse, and may be a better long term investment from an ROI perspective.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:59 PM

1,211 posts, read 893,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Certainly a big area for young families, and constantly evolving. But we can both agree that we are comparing a rapidly evolving sister city to one of the most desirable suburbs in the US, right?

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/cambridg...ic-schools-ma/
https://www.niche.com/k12/d/somervil...ic-schools-ma/

Niche is not the end-all-be-all, but I think the disparity in reputation/test scores etc. is pretty visible. Cambridge R&L is one of the states premier high schools. I'd certainly go Brookline or Cambridge if I has $2M to spend.

Somerville is probably more diverse, and may be a better long term investment from an ROI perspective.
So A+ vs A- is a big disparity? I like Niche as a source of information regarding School. But in Cambridge, middle school tends to be a rouch patch in the student experience that Somerville kids dont experience as much with our K-8 schools. Somerville also arguably has two elementary schools that outperform any in Cambridge including G&P.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,866,671 times
Move to my little progressive town, Bellingham WA, nestled between BC, Canada and Seattle, and buy a lovely waterview home:

Home at 711 Briar Rd
What do you think of this 4 bds 4 ba 3,489 sqft home https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23602642_zpid/

Home at 528 Bayside Rd
What do you think of this 3 bds 3 ba 2,503 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23601337_zpid/

Home at 745 Cross St
What do you think of this 4 bds 3.1 ba 5,434 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23602146_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or