Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,260 times

Advertisements

My dog and I are looking for a new place to call home. We are from Milwaukee, WI and have lived in Kenosha, WI. Milwaukee and Kenosha will forever be in my heart as some of the best places I've ever lived, but I really need to move to a state where marijuana is legal. Preferably recreationally, but I could also get a medical card pretty easily depending on the state.

I can afford to rent a shared apartment for around $400-$450 a month (including utilities) but I'm also considering building/buying a tiny house, RV, trailer, or converted van.

Needs:
*to be near a large body of water/beach
*in my price range
*a good number of like-minded people (earth-conscious, compassionate towards others, etc)
*legal marijuana

Wants:
*culturally diverse
*walkable (I'd prefer to get rid of my car completely if possible)
*vegan friendly establishments
*dog-friendly
*good hiking
*LGBTQ+ friendly
*nude beaches haha

I've been doing some research on my own and I like the idea of Rockland, Maine and Astoria, Oregon. Neither are particularly diverse though.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
All states are "legal."

Euphemisms obscure what you really mean so why not just say "I want to buy marijuana without getting arrested."

Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Providence RI would be a great fit and is surprisingly affordable with plenty in your price range.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Providence RI would be a great fit and is surprisingly affordable with plenty in your price range.
Agreed on this! Providence is diverse, too, though the state really isn't outside of Providence and a few bordering areas. Marijuana isn't legal recreationally but it is medically and there's a good chance Rhode Island will be one of the next crop of states to legalize recreational use. I believe the current penalty for recreational use is a small fine, like on the level of a parking ticket -- and I can't imagine those tickets are given out too frequently.

Cost might be an issue, though. Like anywhere, it's more expensive the closer you get to the beach, and in a state that can have high utility bills, a room in a shared apartment for $450 with utilities may be challenging.

Other than that, Rhode Island hits everything on your wishlist with the possible exception of hiking. The state is hilly and there's a lot of hiking around here, but compared to Oregon and Maine it's not going to be very challenging or dramatic.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:10 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Agreed on this! Providence is diverse, too, though the state really isn't outside of Providence and a few bordering areas.
Isn't that the state? Rhode Island = Providence + bordering areas? jk

I find the recs for Providence quite intriguing. I'll have to research more, thanks!

Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,260 times
Thank you! I'll check out providence. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Isn't that the state? Rhode Island = Providence + bordering areas? jk
Actually, you are correct! There are 39 cities and towns in Rhode Island, and 38 of them are part of the Providence metro area. (The 39th is part of the New London, Connecticut, metro area.) But I meant areas that literally touch the Providence city limits, such as Pawtucket and Central Falls.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Agreed on this! Providence is diverse, too, though the state really isn't outside of Providence and a few bordering areas. A room in a shared apartment for $450 with utilities may be challenging. Other than that, Rhode Island hits everything on your wishlist with the possible exception of hiking.
Not at all and in fact it wouldn't be a "room" but an actual share...50-50. With utilities might push it up to around $500 but wouldn't think that's budget-busting..

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...29_rect/12_zm/

Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
While not coastal, perhaps look into Rochester NY due to NY State having a medical program, it is on Lake Ontario and fits pretty much everything else. You may be interested in this, OP: https://www.google.com/amp/www.newyo...reats_more.amp

https://rocwiki.org/LGBT_Community

Old 06-23-2017, 01:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Olympia, WA. It's close-ish to the beach, not sure if there are nude beaches though. Too cold for swimming year-round but people still go to the beach up here. Not super diverse in Olympia but there is definitely diversity in Western WA. Olympia is much cheaper than Seattle but not sure it is as low as your price range. I think you might be able to find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.