Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

How important is weather in choosing where to live?

For me, id say medium. I dont want extremes like 100 degree summers or 0 degree winters. I also dont want to live where theres harsh winters that easily get into the minuses. My ideal temperature is 45 to 65 degrees, I wont sweat nor freeze at that range. It will be about 20 degrees warmer indoors than outdoors. If its 65 outside, it can get to the low 80s indoors. Opening the window and spinning the fan will reduce the temperature to high 70s which is sometimes warm enough to make me sweat lightly. I prefer it ideally at 50 then I can attain the perfect 70 degrees indoors where I am most comfortable

The maritime climate is the best because the summers average 70 for a high and rarely get to 85. The lows at night are about 60-65. The winters average 45 for a low but can get to 20-30 at high latitudes which is not seriously cold, a small burst of heat will take care of that easily.

The second best climate would be in states like TN, NC, southern WV and southeast OH. Milder summers than the southern states, highs in the low to mid 80s, rarely gets to 90-95. Springs and falls are a delight with highs in the 50s to low 70s and lows of about 50 and almost never gets below 35. Winters are mild with highs of 50s to 60s common and lows not much below freezing, snow melts once the sun comes out. I can have fun playing in the snow at morning and itll be gone before noon as it warms to 50.

Too bad where there is good weather, houses tend to be expensive. In the maritime west coast weather, nothing is cheap. Most of the cheap housing happens to be where it gets cold or very cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

For me, id say medium. I dont want extremes like 100 degree summers or 0 degree winters. I also dont want to live where theres harsh winters that easily get into the minuses. My ideal temperature is 45 to 65 degrees, I wont sweat nor freeze at that range. It will be about 20 degrees warmer indoors than outdoors. If its 65 outside, it can get to the low 80s indoors. Opening the window and spinning the fan will reduce the temperature to high 70s which is sometimes warm enough to make me sweat lightly. I prefer it ideally at 50 then I can attain the perfect 70 degrees indoors where I am most comfortable

The maritime climate is the best because the summers average 70 for a high and rarely get to 85. The lows at night are about 60-65. The winters average 45 for a low but can get to 20-30 at high latitudes which is not seriously cold, a small burst of heat will take care of that easily.

The second best climate would be in states like TN, NC, southern WV and southeast OH. Milder summers than the southern states, highs in the low to mid 80s, rarely gets to 90-95. Springs and falls are a delight with highs in the 50s to low 70s and lows of about 50 and almost never gets below 35. Winters are mild with highs of 50s to 60s common and lows not much below freezing, snow melts once the sun comes out. I can have fun playing in the snow at morning and itll be gone before noon as it warms to 50.

Too bad where there is good weather, houses tend to be expensive. In the maritime west coast weather, nothing is cheap. Most of the cheap housing happens to be where it gets cold or very cold.

A lot depends on age and attitude.

1) I can't take the cold like I used to.
2) I don't want to take the cold anymore.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Quote:
In the maritime west coast weather, nothing is cheap. Most of the cheap housing happens to be where it gets cold or very cold.
It's not a coincidence. The good weather helps make California, Washington, etc more expensive then West Virginia for example. People put a lot of priority into weather. But when you truly live there, apparently it's not the end all to end all, otherwise everyone would be there.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
For me it's extremely important. I won't live in a cold climate again that gets snow.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:

Opening the window and spinning the fan will reduce the temperature to high 70s which is sometimes warm enough to make me sweat lightly.

The maritime climate is the best because the summers average 70 for a high and rarely get to 85.
Well, if I immigrate, I better enjoy the weather 90% of the time, because I love to be outdoors, but I currently only enjoy about 50-100 days a year here.

High 70's F with over 50% humidity can also make me sweat lightly...
But right now my fingers are feeling kinda cold, and it's 72 F with no breeze in here.

Basically, I want summer weather that at minimum would make me sweat lightly at some point in the day, since that's pretty much the only way to not have cold fingers and toes. That's why the maritime climate would suck for someone like me.

I would like to live somewhere that rarely goes below 25 F, like maybe a few mornings a year and rarely or never gets hot enough that the air burns my skin. (is that 110 F or 120 F?)

Since 100 F air itself cannot burn/sting skin, it doesn't seem extreme at all to me, and I quite enjoy it.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Weather is one of the main reasons we want to move.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
A bit important, but I wouldn't want to live somewhere too hot. Cold I can deal with, heat makes me crazy. I'll probably never move south, it is the northern Midwest, pacific northwest, or the northern east coast for me.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Weather is very important to me, and can significantly impact quality of life. I am an outdoors person so it is more important for me than say a lot of people in Florida that live indoors in A/C. I can take cold a lot better than the double whammy of heat and humidity. Heat and hummidy are oppressive. Give me cool clean mountain air any day.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Weather is very important to me, and can significantly impact quality of life. I am an outdoors person so it is more important for me than say a lot of people in Florida that live indoors in A/C. I can take cold a lot better than the double whammy of heat and humidity. Heat and hummidy are oppressive. Give me cool clean mountain air any day.
I agree!!! Give me cold over hot any day especially in the mountains

Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Weather is very important to me, especially since it really can affect your whole outlook. I need 4 distinct seasons to be happy, and one where a specific season doesn't last too long. I now live in southern New England where the winters aren't severe and neither are the summers. Plus there is no mud season since the winters aren't like further north.

The only place I lived with practically no seasonal changes was Florida (seasons are Warm, Hot, Hotter and OMG I am Melting) and I couldn't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.