U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM

18,680 posts, read 27,171,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Yeah I would agree. I think I put too much emphasis on how Downtown San Antonio feels different.
Yeah I edited it to add some things. I can see how one would say San Antonio is behind them. It seems less Southern in feel than both Houston (I still do not agree that this city is in the Deep South) and Dallas which is where Texas is at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,299,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yet, of the big four cities, Trump did the best here.
The main city counties for Houston and San Antonio were basically about the same percentages (few tenths at most), with those of Dallas and Austin having larger Hillary margins.

But, Houston is also the only big 4 metro in the state that has a county outside the city proper that went to Hillary.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:42 PM

17,808 posts, read 4,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It has that old west imaging though.
True.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:53 PM

2,337 posts, read 1,478,662 times
Quote:
LOL! Fort Worth less Texan than Dallas? Thanks for the laugh. You also thought Nashville doesn't belong in TN. You clearly need to get out more.
FT and Dallas same ol same...Nashville and Memphis couldn't be more different

Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,253,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
FT and Dallas same ol same...Nashville and Memphis couldn't be more different
You haven't spent enough time to in either FTW or Dallas to come up with that conclusion. The population size, demographics, and density alone are clearly different between the 2. It's really interesting how different they are despite being only 30+ miles away. You even admitted you never really explored Dallas.

Nashville and Memphis are 3 hours apart, so it's not an accurate comparison to how Dallas differs from FTW. What about Memphis reminds you of TN? I think you're in the minority to think Nashville is out of place there.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,477,647 times
I can't think of an example in Michigan, even if a few cities seem unique.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,258,543 times
In California, none of the major cities feel out of place, per se. However, San Diego has some strange quasi-Midwesternness because of all the military and young professional transplants from the Midwest who live in the area. I actually think San Diego does feel out of place relative to, say, L.A., San Francisco, Oakland, or Sacramento, yet it still feels Californian at the same time.

For California, I'd ultimately vote for (a) Eureka, (b) Crescent City and (c) Yreka in the north, as they feel like they should be just part of Oregon; and, (d) Imperial County in the south, as it has far more in common with Yuma, AZ than with the rest of Southern California.

In another state, Kentucky, (a) Louisville inside I-264, (b) the tri-county northern Kentucky region (Covington, Newport, Florence, Fort Thomas), and (c) the flatlands and bayous along the Mississippi River (Fulton, Hickman, Columbus, Wickliffe) actually feel pretty out of place from the rest of the state. Kentucky can be rather strange.

Other examples I can think of... Mobile in Alabama, El Paso in Texas, the cities in the northwest corner of Indiana, and, arguably, Cincinnati in Ohio.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 PM

4,254 posts, read 2,875,710 times
People say Sacramento feels Midwestern--how? Where in the Midwest does it remind one of? I definitely don't see it...

Memphis is definitely very, very similar to Mississippi, but let me add this. If ones only experience in Tennessee is Memphis/West Tennessee, Memphis feels quintessentially Tennessee to you. So Knoxville and Nashville seem more similar to each other than either to Memphis, but Memphis is still Tennessee...

Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 PM

2,337 posts, read 1,478,662 times
Quote:
You haven't spent enough time to in either FTW or Dallas to come up with that conclusion. The population size, demographics, and density alone are clearly different between the 2. It's really interesting how different they are despite being only 30+ miles away. You even admitted you never really explored Dallas.

Nashville and Memphis are 3 hours apart, so it's not an accurate comparison to how Dallas differs from FTW. What about Memphis reminds you of TN? I think you're in the minority to think Nashville is out of place there.
Forth Worth is nothing more than a smaller version of Dallas. You don't need a month in dallas and fort worth to see how similar they are. Yes i didn't explored Dallas for a long time but lets be honest for the comparison we are discussing here a few days would suffice.
And Knoxville share no similarities with Nashville

Old 06-24-2017, 04:02 PM

17,808 posts, read 4,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Forth Worth is nothing more than a smaller version of Dallas. You don't need a month in dallas and fort worth to see how similar they are. Yes i didn't explored Dallas for a long time but lets be honest for the comparison we are discussing here a few days would suffice.
And Knoxville share no similarities with Nashville
Dallas and Fort Worth are whole different vibes.Dallas is more glitz,glamour,fancy and white collar/city-slicker and Fort Worth is more Cowboy and blue collar/down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or