Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:58 PM

174 posts, read 469,472 times

Advertisements

If you could live anywhere in the United States, which region/city/rural area/location would you choose to live? It can be a city, state, region of a state, even a region of the U.S. Please specify what your reasons are (cost of living, climate, jobs, culture, geography, demographics, family, nostalgia, etc) for choosing the location. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM

7,726 posts, read 6,384,152 times
Same place I'm going to in August; Minnesota.

Affordable
4 beautiful distinct seasons
Good economy
Educated and open minded populace
Lots of woods, lakes, beautiful farmland
An outdoorsy culture that celebrates fishing, hunting, boating, ice skating, swimming, water skiing, kayaking, hiking, camping... the list goes on.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,476,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
If you could live anywhere in the United States, which region/city/rural area/location would you choose to live? It can be a city, state, region of a state, even a region of the U.S. Please specify what your reasons are (cost of living, climate, jobs, culture, geography, demographics, family, nostalgia, etc) for choosing the location. Thanks!
For me, Greater Los Angeles, specifically Pomona. I'm actually going to move there once my fiance finishes her Bachelor's Degree. Climate, Jobs, Ammenities and Geography are the biggies

Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,308,496 times
I have yet to figure this out. I've only lived a few places in my young life so far as an adult (25 years old) and wouldn't consider anywhere so far "home", besides where I was born & raised of course (Southern Indiana).

Out of all the places I have visited, there is one that stands out as a place I could see myself buying a home and settling down (again, besides my hometown) and that would be Dallas/Fort Worth. I have family there, friends there, they somewhat have multiple seasons, and a decent amount to do, while still being somewhat affordable. I would also be super interested in North Carolina as well.

All in all, home is where the heart is, and that place is Southern Indiana for me, and I do plan on going back eventually

Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 PM

20,736 posts, read 9,363,788 times
Anywhere in the Midwest.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 PM

16,028 posts, read 10,587,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
I wanted to live in New Mexico since the first time I saw it at age 10. It took 50 years. I live about 15 miles north of Albuquerque and 40 miles south of Santa Fe in a sparsely populated piece of high desert. I moved here from the Midwest and the cost of living is lower here (I'm retired) and the four season climate is wonderful. The three cultures and diversity were positives for me. I love the outdoor recreation opportunities, desert living, mountains, history, and scenery.

It's just awful...don't move here.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:15 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,862,990 times
I really like the Bay Area, Denver and San Diego but cost of living rules it out for me now but in the future I would consider it.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM

822 posts, read 848,199 times
I've lived all over the U.S and decided to settle in my home state of Rhode Island. I work in Massachusetts, so I think eventually I'll move to MA just to be closer to work. I really love New England and all it has to offer: 4 season climate, scenery,geography, economy (MA mostly), educated and open minded populace, a good mix of politics (New England isn't all Democratic and Liberal as people think... lots of Independents and Libertarians)

Old 06-23-2017, 11:45 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,090,144 times
This one is tough. Lol I kinda imagine that I still have lots of time to live in many different cities around the world, but obviously that's not really true. Even if I had started living in a different city every year since I was born I wouldnt be able to live in every city that I want to.

So with that mindset explained, I think my answer is NYC. It's really close, either NYC or SF, but familiarity and convenience to the rest of the east coast pushes me more toward the former. I am less sensitive to COL (of course all things equal I want it to be lower) and my family and I really prioritize vibrancy, walkability, culture and diversity.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,401,640 times
Money no object? Probably Bay Area or LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.